Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Fart Changes. Cooldowns and eating beans.
Based on this topic: Right here

There is a request to tone down farting since everyone in the game spams F key during shuttles and it becomes kinda... grating to some.
Other on the other hand don't want it toned down... but we keep forgetting that FARTING actually has an effect in game.

Thus removing it or changing it will change the DYNAMIC in the game that is FARTING.
Especially since Engineers use them for hellburns these days.

Insted I suggest the following things.

1: Put a 25-35 second cooldown on farting on command.
2: Certain foods that are spicy, or full of beans will increase your fart potency. The higher to potency the more farts/gas you release. (no more spamming F keys, now enough beans will give you the strong enough fart you need or lower the cooldown.)
3: Mutations like Brown Note and The "Super fart" are not effected by beans.
4: Eating too much beans will make you fart your butt off. Your butt can only handle an amount of potency.  (That or trying to spam it gives that effect like dabbing)

Other suggestions:

1: Fart Disbelief trait. (Taken from the topic, basicly farts are muted)
2: "Silence fart option" (Basicly fart disbelief trait but as a game option)
3: Robutts and Cyborgs can still fart on command. Since it's not an actual fart.

And that's it.
Basicly I think it's better to put a 30 second cooldown on farts but using special food will either take away the cooldown or increase the potency of your farts or both.
This way we don't get rid of our tradition of farting all out, but give people who want others to stop spamming farts a break too.

Remember, Farts have a practical mechanic behind them and getting rid of them will remove a certain unique trait to the game and nerf Engineers hard on their combustion engines. Or the typical fart chamber till it becomes plasma...

Now.. it just requires an extra step, but in exchange you don't spend 20 minutes spamming the F key to get a result!
A 25-35 second cooldown (with a acceptable rebalance of emmited fart to satisfy the engineers and certain A-Zones) on fart would cause 2-3 people farting in a room to create a considerable amount of fart. And is just extreme in general. I would think about like 10 seconds and condense the amount of fart produceable in 10 seconds into a single fart.

Just a thing. farting IS already an extra step for enginneers. Even worse, you would lock efficient pipeburns behind working behind a department.

Really, i don't think locking the possibility of pipeburns behind a department because of an entirely unrelated issue is a good idea.
Just adjust emote volume in the options if it annoys you so much. Boom problem solved
(10-01-2022, 08:19 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: A 25-35 second cooldown (with a acceptable rebalance of emmited fart to satisfy the engineers and certain A-Zones) on fart would cause 2-3 people farting in a room to create a considerable amount of fart. And is just extreme in general. I would think about like 10 seconds and condense the amount of fart produceable in 10 seconds into a single fart.

Just a thing. farting IS already an extra step for enginneers. Even worse, you would lock efficient pipeburns behind working behind a department.

Really, i don't think locking the possibility of pipeburns behind a department because of an entirely unrelated issue is a good idea.

You can do pipeburns without farts, farts just trivialize it and make them play worse.
(10-01-2022, 12:30 PM)Ikea Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 08:19 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: A 25-35 second cooldown (with a acceptable rebalance of emmited fart to satisfy the engineers and certain A-Zones) on fart would cause 2-3 people farting in a room to create a considerable amount of fart. And is just extreme in general. I would think about like 10 seconds and condense the amount of fart produceable in 10 seconds into a single fart.

You can do pipeburns without farts, farts just trivialize it and make them play worse.

Essentially what IKEA says... you can do good pipeburns without farts. It's just the only "FREE WAY" for engineers to not interact with other departments.

Now you have to get beans or burritos or such (wich you can buy from vending machines with risk) to increase it.

You also can upgrade the TEG with materials from Mining and doing Matsci and such things too.

So we aren't TAKING away farts. We're just moving them to be more interactive... Also I recommend a "can of beans" in engineering so you can still solo fart the day away to do a decent pipe burn.
But overall you don't NEED to do any big burns to keep a station running, just to get extra power for the PTL 1 mil goal.
Thing is, engineering is in a quite underpicked state already. We have established that fact in past dicussions. And this is a nerf for.... what reason again?

Sure you dont need farting for pipeburn. But burns in general need more diverse paths that engineers could take them. And locking farting behind an apartment would be the opposite of it.

If the atmospheric system would give more options to engineers (i'm kinda jealously looking at all the gasses tg servers got access to) i would gladly agree to lock the tedium of farting behind a department. But not in the current state.
(10-02-2022, 02:51 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Thing is, engineering is in a quite underpicked state already. We have established that fact in past dicussions. And this is a nerf for.... what reason again?

Sure you dont need farting for pipeburn. But burns in general need more diverse paths that engineers could take them. And locking farting behind an apartment would be the opposite of it.

If the atmospheric system would give more options to engineers (i'm kinda jealously looking at all the gasses tg servers got access to) i would gladly agree to lock the tedium of farting behind a department. But not in the current state.

Fair but that's why I want to put in a can of beans in Engineering so a player can bypass that route.
The reason farting is being "changed" is so those who get annoyed by spamming, don't need to do things.
And I am not NERFING it.. I am CHANGING IT.
More a BERF.
Remember how long you have to fart in that damn device pressing F to get the amount of farts to get a fart burn going.
By giving farts a COOLDOWN, but increasing POTENCY by beans... The idea is that you would only need to fart 3-4 times to get the amount it normally took.
Decreasing the time spend spamming the F key for 15 mins to a 2 min task.

Yes I do want to put in BEANS in the engineering department as a period to allow people to take this route without going down the kitchen/botany route.
But... by doing so.. the amount could be 1 fart under the effect of that food.

This would also open up air pollution game play with a chef making farty food to poison the air supply like an antagonist.

Look futher into the idea then just "Nerf engineering" the idea is to make the "F" spam go away, so engineers only need to do less farts in less time to get the job done.
Heck you can also just put in a bean burrito pacl in QM called "Gas Manufactoring crate.

So pretty much less Farts but more amount by eating something that we can put in Engineering, QM or be made by Botany or Cooking or heck even consume fartonium from science. This way we got multiplue routes to get farts going.

But I do agree more ways of making gas would be great... I feel gas science is very underutilized due to it's complexity and limited options.
Most do Chem and Telesci with the ocassional spike in ArtSci.
BuddySci is barely touched and so is GasSci.
(10-02-2022, 04:21 AM)Kotlol Wrote: The reason farting is being "changed" is so those who get annoyed by spamming, don't need to do things.

That's mostly the reason im concerned. Like getting smacked with a rework that could decrease the variation in burns (that isn't high to begin with) to combat a completly unrelated issue leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.

Having that said, what you have in mind could work out in a way that makes F-spamming less tedius for engineers and require sourcing if you go over the top with it, which would be a good change. But that would need to be carefully balanced.
Very very easily could just increase the gas amount

We're talking about the annoying sound and chat spam mainly
Yeah I really don't think this should be a controversial change at all. Repeated noises bother some people. We can adjust it so you can make the same amount of gas in the same amount of time when we have a cooldown. In fact it would be a buff if anything because you could do other things while getting your gas. You aren't just sitting there spamming f the whole time.

I do really like the idea of just...expanding the fart system too though. I feel like that might be it's own thing and should be atomized though.

Making bean consumption increase gas/spicy food giving a negligible increase in a plasma fart etc. Little things like that could be pretty cool.
(10-02-2022, 06:32 AM)Cal Wrote: Very very easily could just increase the gas amount

We're talking about the annoying sound and chat spam mainly

Thank you Cal for wording it easier. Yes.. we are putting a cooldown on farts and increasing the gas as well, but by adding beans to either remove the cooldown or increase potency on top.
"Aka" Make it less about press F every second.. to.. F every 30 seconds.

Quote:I do really like the idea of just...expanding the fart system too though. I feel like that might be it's own thing and should be atomized though.

Making bean consumption increase gas/spicy food giving a negligible increase in a plasma fart etc. Little things like that could be pretty cool.

Wich is why I 'intentially' made the bean system to circumevent the farting spam. Or increase it's potency.
But I did change it to.. cooldown of 25 seconds = Same as spamming F for 25 seconds.

Though my wording seemed off on it. (Whoops).
And putting the beans/spicy food on top of it.. for those who LONG the fart spam. So now they gotta jump through hoops.
Or increase Potency to have some sort of fart poisoning.

The original topic wanted to get rid of farting or nerf it's cooldown and I am like: "But engineers use it , clowns use it and Science uses it. It's not an emote.. It's a full on GAME MECHANIC" So I came up with the food increases it.. for that reason.
Rename farts to "Biogas"

Make it produceable in botany and as a result of farting when certain foods (chef exclusive) are consumed (status effect "extra gassy", farting reduces the duration of the status effect to not reward spamming)

Lower the cooldown to the same length as the scream emote at minimum.

IMO "farting" should not be enshrined in any game mechanics that actively encourage doing it except for the funny noise, because people should not feel any "strategic" incentive to fart. It's really disruptive to roleplay to have an engineer spamming farts, and it's difficult to tell them to stop because otherwise you're telling them not to do their job.
On the topic of Food should increase your fart amount, it kind of already does? Beans, eggs and fartonium both increase your fart amounts (fartonium increases it the most by ten times). All of these chems can be found in food