Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Make EVA public access
Everyone breaks into EVA literally every round for that sweet sweet free o2, not to mention tools, etc, might as well make it public access
This is a classic issue, right? Maybe we can make the storage harder to break into.
Idea: make it like armory where breaking in gets you demoted to shoeless staff assistant
There are tools such as the RCD that are essential for some fun construction projects on the station, this is why EVA is such a popular break-in target. Some rounds have too much going on that you can't get a Command member to pop on over, or worse yet, for some reason they just refuse to open it. For that reason, I think before opening up EVA or even making it like armory (perhaps even opening with votes, like the armory itself), we should distribute some of the stuff found in EVA to the general storage, perhaps even adding an additional RCD.
(09-27-2022, 10:28 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: This is a classic issue, right? Maybe we can make the storage harder to break into.

it sounds like an issue stemming from the o2 tank which is making people gravitate somewhere where they can easily fill their tanks 

an alternative solution would be to make O2 vendors that you stick your tank into than just entice people into wanting to break into it more
(09-28-2022, 01:36 AM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(09-27-2022, 10:28 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: This is a classic issue, right? Maybe we can make the storage harder to break into.

it sounds like an issue stemming from the o2 tank which is making people gravitate somewhere where they can easily fill their tanks 

an alternative solution would be to make O2 vendors that you stick your tank into than just entice people into wanting to break into it more

I mean, we already have O2 vendors that you stick your tank into. You mean make more of them?

And that only addresses a partial issue, EVA sticks out more than general storage, that's the biggest issue. Every person knows where EVA is, but oftentimes people don't know where the general storage is. That, and the fact that space suits and RCD are just plainly only available in EVA and not in general storage.
I think more O2 vendors wuld be a good idea. When i didm't knew the maps that well, i was searching for a very long time for O2-vendors. And i sometimes still do.

Maybe put one directly in the EVA storage, so they csn refill it there before needing to break in.
The vending machines you stick your tank into are expensive- I’ve been guilty of breaking into EVA, although in my defense I always wait until it’s already hit the fan.
(09-28-2022, 01:36 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: make O2 vendors that you stick your tank into than just entice people into wanting to break into it more

We've had 02 vendors since like 2013

[Image: O2Vendor.png]
(09-28-2022, 07:26 AM)Cal Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 01:36 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: make O2 vendors that you stick your tank into than just entice people into wanting to break into it more

We've had 02 vendors since like 2013

[Image: O2Vendor.png]

sure they exist but i think the issue then is that it's easier to break into EVA and get your air than it is to seek out one of these machines and pay the exorbitant fee
Change it so the O2 tank in EVA can only recharge the jetpacks in there. Problem solved.

Or put security systems in EVA.

I'll be honest one of the most tiring expirences as a command member on RP is: "Someone breaks into EVA for a tool, O2 or RCD."
Without asking command... and gets really mad when I sent security on their asses for breaking and entering.

Heck when I am security and I see it , I arrest them and they get mad since apperently "There is no other way"
I know in Classic shit hits the fan fast and to survive you have to do what you want... but asking engineering or others to get stuff isn't the worst thing in the world.
Just go to the HoP and ask.. 9/10 they aren't doing anything of note anyway.

Honestly. We have things like "non EVA" and it's called Technical Storage, Tool Storage and on some stations certain rooms with an O2 tank/Oxygen/Air tank that are public access or in Maintance. Heck we got O2 lockers for extra oxygen too! Stop being lazy.
If EVA is needed that badly for certain things.. then we check if staff assistants need to have stuff from it and then copy things in there and move it or change existing things like the O2 vendors.
so what you're saying is is I should replace the free o2 canister with an oxygen vending machine in EVA? sorry bucko, corporate says you gotta pay for that livesaving air
(09-27-2022, 09:41 PM)NanoDano Wrote: Everyone breaks into EVA literally every round for that sweet sweet free o2, not to mention tools, etc, might as well make it public access

Lets be real. On classic everyone breaks in everywhere for almost any reason. Because its just so damn easy. There are many ways to get whats in EVA without needing to break in. Its just the fastest, most convenient way.

I think it would be a better idea to standardise public tool storages and workshops. All of them should have publicly accessible material reclaimers, general fabricators, nano-fabricators, etc... On some maps it is not the case (looking at you Oshan and your general fab locked in the engineering tool storage).

Cargo also should have all the fabricators and can manufacture about anything, provided they get access to materials from mining.

What am I saying with this ? I don't even know. Remove EVA maybe ? What is it good for anyway ? Its free easy accessible ressources dangled in front of the crew for the low, low cost of hacking the door, instead of engaging with the rest of the station to get the stuff you want.
(09-28-2022, 01:41 PM)Sord213 Wrote: so what you're saying is is I should replace the free o2 canister with an oxygen vending machine in EVA? sorry bucko, corporate says you gotta pay for that livesaving air

if it's reasonably priced and more convenient than taking a few minutes to smash through/unscrew windows to get into eva, why not
(09-28-2022, 07:23 AM)George_Manning Wrote: The vending machines you stick your tank into are expensive- I’ve been guilty of breaking into EVA, although in my defense I always wait until it’s already hit the fan.

It costs like what, 200-300 credits to fully charge your tank to 1k? Most jobs start with that much cash, and if not, just don't charge it all the way. You also usually have some cash after your first pay check, the notable exceptions are staff assistants and clowns but they're expendable anyway.

In all honesty, I think the biggest issue IS actually that EVA gets rubbed in your face. How about closing off EVA and having shutters or instead of windows having reinforced walls? It at least dissuades people from finding it, if people don't know what's in it, maybe they'll think twice about if it's worth breaking in. Maybe. All the same, I do also think the general storage should have access to more stuff. More O2 tanks, more RCD, more stuff to fabricate.