Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Make EVA public access
(09-29-2022, 03:21 AM)Glamurio Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 07:23 AM)George_Manning Wrote: The vending machines you stick your tank into are expensive- I’ve been guilty of breaking into EVA, although in my defense I always wait until it’s already hit the fan.

It costs like what, 200-300 credits to fully charge your tank to 1k? Most jobs start with that much cash, and if not, just don't charge it all the way. You also usually have some cash after your first pay check, the notable exceptions are staff assistants and clowns but they're expendable anyway.

In all honesty, I think the biggest issue IS actually that EVA gets rubbed in your face. How about closing off EVA and having shutters or instead of windows having reinforced walls? It at least dissuades people from finding it, if people don't know what's in it, maybe they'll think twice about if it's worth breaking in. Maybe. All the same, I do also think the general storage should have access to more stuff. More O2 tanks, more RCD, more stuff to fabricate.

We can also lock EVA with wall shutters yes and the button to OPEN EVA is inside the bridge. (since EVA is mostly next to the bridge or near the bridge)
And it can be opened for when command thinks shit hits the fan.
And who would that be? 9/10 it would be the HoP since Customs is "MOSTLY" next to the bridge.
I seem to recall it costing more than that, although a lot of my recent gimmicks have involved buying things so perhaps I was mistaken. Regardless, I think removing oxy can in EVA would just make it so that heads of staff would have to go to toxins or engineering to fill up their oxy tank. I kind of like the idea of a regulated, convenient oxygen tank that you can decide who uses as captain/hop/hos etc. I think EVA just needs to be harder to break into.

It is worth noting though, that EVA is is the only place with spacesuits for civilians and heads of staff, and sometimes there’s nobody with access to open it in an emergency. Thus, it should still be POSSIBLE to break into.
(09-29-2022, 05:02 AM)George_Manning Wrote: It is worth noting though, that EVA is is the only place with spacesuits for civilians and heads of staff, and sometimes there’s nobody with access to open it in an emergency. Thus, it should still be POSSIBLE to break into.

Uuhm some people have emergency space suits in their 02 Box and there are emergency space suits in 02 lockers.. AND.. there are also space suits in engineering and mining. Heck sometimes there are some in Podbay too.

So it's NOT the only place to get space suits for civilians. Unless they have no maintance access or 02 Locker access.
Let alone most heads have their own personal space suit anyway... (CE. Captain, RD, HoS)

So in my opinion space suit storage just needs to be a thing and the space suits in EVA would be special ones.

Jetpacks however are only in Engineering and EVA
Emergency spacesuits are a temporary measure and your temperature still drops while you wear them, just slower. So outside of engineering and mining, which on some maps (looking at you donut 3) don’t even have enough suits for a full engi crew, the only way to get a spacesuit that lasts for more than 5 minutes is EVA
Well George , then we simply update those maps.
What I was trying to get at is that the emergency spacesuits you are referring to (the orange ones) are not a substitute for full spacesuits, they are “discount” spacesuits if you will, and that making them and engi suits the only easily accessible ones is a bad idea
(09-29-2022, 08:08 AM)George_Manning Wrote: Emergency spacesuits are a temporary measure and your temperature still drops while you wear them, just slower. So outside of engineering and mining, which on some maps (looking at you donut 3) don’t even have enough suits for a full engi crew, the only way to get a spacesuit that lasts for more than 5 minutes is EVA

You can easily make bespoke spacesuits with cheap material like reclaimed cables and a bit of glass in the workshop.