Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion.
See I really do love goon! But honestly meta-friendship/cliques really do have an impact on people well. Outside of it. 
To a degree sure i understand—maybe you kinda give your friend the benefit of the doubt when they’re accused of being the antag, or you rush to heal someone you’re best friends with before someone else because wow you sure don’t like seeing them hurt. But at the same time it ruins the fun for other players (and I’m sure that since I live with someone who plays goon we do sometimes get more stuck with each other than outside players) 
Like when you’re the chef, and botany is too deep into a roleplay to make you anything and you’re lucky to get wheat. Or you’re medical, and science doesn’t get to a medicine request because they’re also too deep to do much. Or you’re a staffie and dying infront of medical and no one gets you because someone came in to roleplay with the doctors and everyone is entranced.  
Never do I think it’s intentional, but man Can it suck when you don’t get listened to because friends in the clique will always be given more thought then you, random individual. Or you try to initiate a roleplay with several people in a row and all of them immediately decline because another rp is happening, they don’t know you, or hell they just don’t like you and demand you leave the bar bc your presence interrupts a flow that was established 5 minutes in. 
All this to say it does happen, and it’s from a  scale of just not role playing with you to you see yourself get treated very differently from other plays for the reason of—you just aren’t their friend and they have no reason to invite you in their eyes. Which can be frustrating when you see someone get help or leeway and you immediately get shut down or well shot at.

As for a way to alleviate it? I think a big part of it is boundaries—you don’t know a strangers boundaries, and you don’t know if a stranger is going to go along with an RP (which is especially rough for people who are antags). Maybe establishing those in character sheets or flavor text or something can help. 
Additionally I do think those events this month where we simply do not know who someone is help: you’re forced to interact with new people which is great and could carry over. 
But honestly probably your biggest thing is being mindful and making an effort to talk to new people or (and I’ll admit I don’t do this enough as medic) leaving your department to make room and opportunity to meet new people. 
 metacliquing in general is a pretty unfun thing, and honestly almost everyone falls into doing it because it’s fun to rp with friends. We just really have to be mindful of it—esp if you see someone cryoing early a lot or it interrupting interdepartment flow, etc.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by mab - 09-28-2022, 04:51 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 09-28-2022, 08:16 PM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Ikea - 10-02-2022, 10:59 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 10-03-2022, 01:04 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 10-04-2022, 01:54 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Meowgical - 10-11-2022, 09:49 AM