Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion.
Speaking on a personal level as a player and not like, as an admin;

Yeah, this is defs a problem (imo). I've actually gone from playing near daily in the past couple of months, to not playing at all, because the time investment for me, to spend 90 minutes feeling excluded, was just not worth it for my well-being. I've never really been in with cliques, either as a player or admin once I was hired, so this is kinda a longstanding issue that has plagued me for over a year. But it's definitely rough right now.

I actually wrote out a big letter to RP a couple of months ago about it, but never posted it anywhere because I was genuinely really upset about it at the time and didn't want to start a conversation on the subject while I was feeling hurt. But one thing from it that I do want to share in this post though is this; People who refuse to engage in anything that they don't already know or only engage in roleplay that suits their character's interests/friendships/relationships stifle the game and server culture. You are free to not participate in roleplay, but I implore you to give players you don't know well/at all a chance. We don't get new "regulars" if new players are consistently made to feel unwelcome and excluded.

I've been roleplaying in various games and communities for around 15 years. In my experience the most versatile roleplayers are the people who are always happy to try something new, and who want to not only have fun roleplaying themselves, but want to give other players (whether they know them or not!) a cool and memorable experience. To create scenarios for other players to enjoy. Etcetera.

I understand why it happens; it can be super overwhelming to have a bunch of people trying to roleplay with you in the moment, let alone paying attention to one scene you're involved in. You shouldn't feel guilty about this happening, bc SS13 is sensory overload: the game, lol. But if you find yourself consistently choosing to only pay attention to your friends, that's an issue.

Idk, I am a bit wordy about this subject, bc being excluded on the RP servers is something that's bothered me for a long while. I love RP, but I want this to change badly bc it honestly breaks my heart to see it happen over and over again to myself and others. I can't combat this on my own, despite my efforts (and it is EXHAUSTING when you spend all of your limited ingame time trying to make people feel involved, while not getting that in return).

Speaking as an admin:

Like Flourish said, please ahelp if you notice this happening to yourself or others. We don't want this to be an issue, and we absolutely keep track of patterns of behaviour like this, and we really can only act if it's a pattern (due to what I said above; everyone has days where they just want to hang out with a friend, or they want to comfort zone rp).

Even if you don't think any of the above applies to you, please keep it in mind when playing on our roleplay servers. If you see someone you think is being excluded, try to change that! We can only keep this a positive space if everyone is contributing to that positivity.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by mab - 09-28-2022, 04:51 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by walpvrgis - 09-28-2022, 06:14 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 09-28-2022, 08:16 PM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Ikea - 10-02-2022, 10:59 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 10-03-2022, 01:04 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 10-04-2022, 01:54 AM