Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion.
there's definitely a fairly broad spectrum of behavior with regards to the topics of ic friends, a metaclique, and where one becomes another. it's easy to take the stance of "well just don't let your character have consistent friends" but for a lot of people that removes a pretty significant part of the appeal of Playing A Character, of having them interact in different sorts of ways with different sorts of people. it's also very easy to get into the mindset of "I only want to rp with My Friends right now because I know I'll have fun with them" which isn't an irrational desire, but it does leave a lot of people excluded and without anyone to interact with if done on a regular basis. the best course of action is, evidently, at neither of these extremes, but you can very easily find yourself slipping towards either end. as much as I dislike it, I've swung towards both at different times in my rp career myself

the issue with fixing a prevalent clique issue is that, like a lot of the most difficult issues to fix with player behavior, it requires the perpetuators to break the current pattern and make an active effort to change it. it does require a bit more effort and creativity to reach out to new people than people you're already familiar with, and additional effort to keep yourself from automatically gravitating towards people you already know the intricacies of. it's also extremely not fun to have people you don't usually interact with completely brush you off when you try to reach out, or to have to tell people to give you space when you get absolutely swamped with people trying to interact with you like 4 minutes into the round. it's not a particularly pleasant or self-indulgent process, and I hate that it isn't as quickly and apparently rewarding, because it's what becomes necessary on some level to keep the server environment on lowpop healthy and fun for everyone

I personally think that, yes, there's definitely a problem, especially in the past month or two. I can think of several people who have decided to take an extended break because of the downright exclusionary nature of a lot of interactions on lowpop lately. I've sort of been doing that and I'm one of the people who you could argue benefits from the current cliques. hell, there's specific, consistent sources of exclusionary, ic cliquey behavior that I could privately point to, if needed. I just don't really have big concrete incidents I can point to as a reflection of patterns of behavior, just observations on patterns of behavior in general

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Waffleloffle - 09-27-2022, 08:49 PM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by mab - 09-28-2022, 04:51 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 09-28-2022, 08:16 PM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Ikea - 10-02-2022, 10:59 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 10-03-2022, 01:04 AM
RE: A Meta-Friending/Clique Discussion. - by Cal - 10-04-2022, 01:54 AM