Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reduce pocket air tank o2 usage
Title, they just run out so darn fast
you can fill them up with the bigger o2 tankers in eva/research
(09-26-2022, 07:03 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: you can fill them up with the bigger o2 tankers in eva/research

Even then they still run out so fast
It’s an air tank that can fit in your pocket. Try to imagine how little air is gonna be in that for you to breath irl. It’s a miracle it lasts as long as it does in game!

But for real that’s what big tanks and the jet pack are for.
What's the point of the small ones now that they're the same size class as the big tanks though
(09-26-2022, 11:22 PM)DioChasek Wrote: It’s an air tank that can fit in your pocket. Try to imagine how little air is gonna be in that for you to breath irl. It’s a miracle it lasts as long as it does in game!

But for real that’s what big tanks and the jet pack are for.

i really don't like drawing the line of "but realism!" when so many other fantastical/nonsensical things already exist in the game
(09-27-2022, 12:17 AM)BatElite Wrote: What's the point of the small ones now that they're the same size class as the big tanks though

i guess they fit on the belt? but yea their existence is kinda useless now since they no longer fit on the pocket
Let’s be honest, nobody is going to waste their belt slot on an oxy tank. It’s either a yknow,belt, or a weapon or tool of some sort. Or you just forget it exists entirely (No, just me?)
It’s kind of annoying considering the jobs that need internals the most (Sec, engineering, mechanics, sometimes medical) are the one with belts that prevent them from using the belt tanks
imo the change was a good one. it encourages patching and repressurization of areas since everyone isnt just set with air for the rounds duration with one fill. o2 canisters arent super scarce, being in eva/toxins/engineering/mining and even med, before cryo is set up

filling the tiny tanks do give you a decent amount of breathing time, you just have to be smart with your usage of them opposed to just leaving them on the entire round like you used to be able to. also, having to hold your oxygen vs keeping it on pocket or belt isnt that big of a detriment? two handed objects are pretty rare, and all the air tanks fit into your backpack when youre done with them
What if you could drop your tank on the ground and still be able to breathe with it if you're on the same tile?
I'm acutally fine with how they are. You can have multiple for when there's a breach and if you go for space walks, get a bigger one on your back/belt.

On station, i never really encountered problems with the small ones. And i build rooms outside of the station with them.
I don't see why the belt-slot oxygen tanks wouldn't work from inside a belt. Sure, it might make the backpack-slot tanks less useful for when someone wants high oxygen capacity, because you can just bandolier 1-7 medium tanks and still have your backpack.
Then again, big oxygen tanks are barely used as it is. And the people who need them most (Miners) also tend to just make jetpacks instead. Personally I'd be more interested in medium-sized tanks regaining at least a bit of their usefulness, as right now noone would use them because inventory space is at a premium and I'd rather lug around 2-3 pocket tanks than anything else. Belts/fanny packs are just too precious to forgo them for more oxygen. (Especially since having a belt with 2-3 small tanks is just as good)
But on the other hand, topping off a pocket tank still gives you about 12 minutes of air. It's pretty generous and avoids tedium.
If it was possible, it would be interesting to see it take up 2 toolbelt slots, so that you would have to sacrifice a tool.

That being said, it’s not a massive issue and I can live with things as they are right now.
(09-27-2022, 05:56 AM)George_Manning Wrote: Let’s be honest, nobody is going to waste their belt slot on an oxy tank. It’s either a yknow,belt, or a weapon or tool of some sort. Or you just forget it exists entirely (No, just me?)
It’s kind of annoying considering the jobs that need internals the most (Sec, engineering, mechanics, sometimes medical) are the one with belts that prevent them from using the belt tanks

Saying "nobody" will use it is an exaggeration. There are plenty of jobs that don't typically have a belt unless they go out of their way to grab one. For any other role, the pocket-sized O2 tank is enough for emergency situations, which is what it's for. If you want to be prepared, simply charge it full all the way to around 1k, which is more than enough for the average round. And you can recharge the tanks at any O2 seller or O2 tank.
Yes, I don't see how having a tank that fits on your belt is not useful. I always saw the main advantage of that being that you can actually still have your backpack on your back.