Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New +2 Trait: Make Health Analyzers Not Work on You
Question 
Idea from BatElite in the ideas of questionable quality thread.

“+2 trait that causes health analyzers to not work on you, so doctors have to use the gimmicky tools/approximation to diagnose and health you, especially with failing organs.” 

Summary of the idea expanded:
Examine can diagnose brute, burn, and oxy fairly well. For organ failure, you will have to either rely on the patients own observations: appendicitis causes abdominal pains and shuddering, kidney causes aches and pains in the upper right abdomen. Or, you will have to use context clues (shuddering, passing out, vomiting, groaning) and situational clues (they have bullets=could been spleen, they are drunk=could be liver). The penlight and stethoscope would be used as well, and can diagnose poisons as well as some organ damages. 

Potential cons: very possible that no doctor in the medbay knows how to diagnose your organ failure, so you die. New doctors presented with this trait would struggle if it was organ failure (or toxins). Some people might just take the trait for the points and be presented with the reality of ‘you blood fall out’ and doctors only treatment is charcoal. 

Things to keep in mind: would the medical tracker on the computer be able to track their organ failures like it usually does? That would give them a fun use but could make the trait too useless. What does/doesn’t this stack with?
I think we should move away from traits that make things harder for other players, or that lead people to create unrealistic expectations and/or toxicity for other players.
(09-26-2022, 07:08 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I think we should move away from traits that make things harder for other players,  or that lead people to create unrealistic expectations and/or toxicity for other players.

That’s something I was thinking about as well. With puritans, you would have people get angry that you didn’t SR clone them, which wasn’t exactly fun.
I do like the concept that people now have to use their eye, stehthoscope and such.

But I don't think this should be a trait but a mutation.
Fuck it, make 10% of all spessmen spawn with this trait, whether they want to or not.
(09-26-2022, 02:10 PM)Kotlol Wrote: I do like the concept that people now have to use their eye, stehthoscope and such.

I second this, maybe not mutation but some mechanic or feature that creates situations where the penlight, stethoscope etc are used would be cool. You could always do gimmicks with them as well but use for them aside from that could be quite interesting. I guess cloak shroom could maybe also disable health analyzer scans? Would be kind of cool for two very different but very under-utilized things.
(09-26-2022, 08:53 PM)Scaltra Wrote:
(09-26-2022, 02:10 PM)Kotlol Wrote: I do like the concept that people now have to use their eye, stehthoscope and such.

I second this, maybe not mutation but some mechanic or feature that creates situations where the penlight, stethoscope etc are used would be cool. You could always do gimmicks with them as well but use for them aside from that could be quite interesting. I guess cloak shroom could maybe also disable health analyzer scans? Would be kind of cool for two very different but very under-utilized things.

This would also be a fun idea yea. Make someone get sick of something, cloak them from medical scanners and have medbay force to treat them with actual tools.
Sounds like a perfect antagonist gimmick
(09-26-2022, 07:08 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I think we should move away from traits that make things harder for other players,  or that lead people to create unrealistic expectations and/or toxicity for other players.

Agreed 100%. As someone who frequently plays a Doctor, I cannot tell you how much headache it has been dealing with Puritans. Either someone hits the clone before you had the chance to check, or people reclaim the corpse before you could extract the brain, there's always something. At least this has the downside that the player itself risks perma-death, so the +2 to is arguably warranted, but introducing a trait that makes analyzers useless AND rewards you for it? No way. Maybe with -2 instead, so you have to actually spend trait points to make it harder on a doctor.

That being said, all this will do is that people will just start spamming omnizine on them as a cure-all, which will then lead the devs to nerf omnizine as a whole. And if you make it a mutation, that just means people will use mutadone instead (unless it's permanent, like clown or mime mutations)
I think we could make it a +0 and it would ne fine.

Doctors need more variety in the amount of ailments and difficulties they encounter. A trait like that would certainly help.
(09-28-2022, 09:52 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I think we could make it a +0 and it would ne fine.

Doctors need more variety in the amount of ailments and difficulties they encounter. A trait like that would certainly help.

That is actually a decent point! It would be like allergies at that point. It also means the person who picked it probably wanted to have more RP time in medical with some of the old stuff. That is undoubtedly a way it could be done. As an opt-in sort of thing
I dont think a trait that makes it directly harder for a doctor to heal someone would be a good idea.
As a longtime medbay nerd - I could see a trait, maybe, that makes it so YOU can't read medical scanners, for some reason, so that you *have* to work through it that way.

But if you make it so that you have this trait, it's going to result in people "expecting" a certain type of treatment, and being upset when you cannot\will not treat them in that manner. There was.. more than enough times of people complaning that you didn't have their prefered type of treatment ready with Puritan - I can't imagine this would lead to better outcomes.
This trait just seems like itll be used as a free +2 trait for people who already ignore doctors anyways and heal themselves, thus basically ignoring the downside as you can know pretty confidently what damage types you've taken through observing what happened to you
(09-28-2022, 09:52 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I think we could make it a +0 and it would ne fine.

Disagree on the +0 unless you make it only affect yourself.

But big agree on the latter part, I think it's very rare for doctors to deal with anything other than basic brute, burn and toxic damage, with the occasional oxy or rad emergency. Most antags (at least on RP) rarely mess about with diseases or stuff that has an impact and requires specific solutions. Yesterday we had a massive cold outbreak on the station and doctors were making robustissin pills to combat it, and the entire station was wearing clinical masks. It was an awesome change of pace and something we desperately need more of. Small inconveniences that don't do much to affect the way everyone does their job, but good ways to implement tons of gameplay if you choose to engage with it.

tl;dr we need more diseases and allergies
(09-29-2022, 03:08 AM)Glamurio Wrote:

Disagree on the +0 unless you make it only affect yourself.

But big agree on the latter part, I think it's very rare for doctors to deal with anything other than basic brute, burn and toxic damage, with the occasional oxy or rad emergency. Most antags (at least on RP) rarely mess about with diseases or stuff that has an impact and requires specific solutions. Yesterday we had a massive cold outbreak on the station and doctors were making robustissin pills to combat it, and the entire station was wearing clinical masks. It was an awesome change of pace and something we desperately need more of. Small inconveniences that don't do much to affect the way everyone does their job, but good ways to implement tons of gameplay if you choose to engage with it.

tl;dr we need more diseases and allergies

Diseases were put on disable cause pathology was turned off due to excessive grieving.
The cold outbreak was probably an admeme.