Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Loot crate changes
Hey y'all, there is a problem with the current loot crate system. As it stands loot crates have some very good flavorful gear and clothing with very well made sprites, however they also have some of the strongest items in the game. Thus, people rush the crates and open all of them, combined with the low spawn chance on the loot crate spawners (10%), this means that once the guaranteed spawns are gone, you are kind of out of luck. So, the way to combat this I think is to divide loot crates into two tiers with no way to tell them apart.

Tier 1 loot crates would remain how loot crates are now, though they might have increased spawn chances of more powerful items

Tier 2 loot crates would exclusively contain clothing items/items that do not grant a significant power gain (jackets, capes, hats, etc)

Other Changes would/could be
  • Loot crate spawn points would have a 50% to spawn a tier 2 loot crate and keep the 10% chance to spawn a tier 1 loot crate. 
  • Johns Bus would also have these spawners but the crates would be guaranteed to spawn a crate (something like a 80% and 20% chance)
  • Other guaranteed loot crate spawns would remain unchanged, however.

any feedback on this idea is appreciated and thanks for reading  space bear
The main reason crates arent rushed isnt because it isnt time consuming enough, or they're too common, etc. Theyre just really convenient. I think making it take a few hits to open a crate instead of instantly as is right now would be good
Remember when I posted about how this change was going to cause headaches? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOcycgXpms
(09-24-2022, 12:44 PM)Ikea Wrote: The main reason crates arent rushed isnt because it isnt time consuming enough, or they're too common, etc. Theyre just really convenient. I think making it take a few hits to open a crate instead of instantly as is right now would be good

true, i guess convenience is a better way to put it. though having the powerful items be less coinvent to get most of the time might help that rushing issue i think
make opening crates require literally anything other than hitting them with stuff it's dumb as all hell
like a few days after the crate change there was a discussion in the rp chat channel on the discord about reintroducing variety to the locking mechanisms and potentially only letting a player tell what would open a crate if they used a stethoscope on it (like that old safecracking trope). some proposed types were:
- a lock that needed burn damage
- a lock that needed to be melted with acid
- a lock that would break and jam the entire crate if you did too much damage to it
- a lock that needed zapping

my takeaway from the discussion, really, was that the potential complexity of the old crate locks wasn't the issue behind them. rather, people reasonably just didn't like playing hangman over and over for middling rewards
(09-24-2022, 10:46 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: like a few days after the crate change there was a discussion in the rp chat channel on the discord about reintroducing variety to the locking mechanisms and potentially only letting a player tell what would open a crate if they used a stethoscope on it (like that old safecracking trope). some proposed types were:
- a lock that needed burn damage
- a lock that needed to be melted with acid
- a lock that would break and jam the entire crate if you did too much damage to it
- a lock that needed zapping

my takeaway from the discussion, really, was that the potential complexity of the old crate locks wasn't the issue behind them. rather, people reasonably just didn't like playing hangman over and over for middling rewards

I would gladly take that as a change. At least it requires a bit more prep and a few more tools than the current fine fire extinguisher go bonk.
I like the idea of crates needing something specific, especially if it involves getting a resource from another department or role.

Maybe there could be some fun negatives to opening chests, like a sort of curse status that can be applied at the cost of opening
hm, on the topic of new ways to open crates what if the crate had a key spawn somewhere close to it/far away and using a hand on the lock would cause the crate to beep, showing how close it was to the key, kinda like hotspots or similar?
Adding more keys might be confusing given the other use of keys
How about this insted...
They need keycards or "IDs" with the right ID attached to it.

You can get the "ID" for it with opening the maintance panel and using a multitool, then creating the false profile at the HoP's to make the fake ID to open it.

This way we can get randomly generated names for lootboxes like: "Trevor Lake"

This can also lead to fun scenerios in RP too.