Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disarming someone should be harder
Depending on what they're holding, that is. It always seemed silly that someone can just run right up to a guy with a stun baton or a gun or a C-saber and easily knock it out of their hand bare handed. If you try to disarm someone who's holding something (especially something dangerous) there should be a chance to hurt yourself. EG, burning yourself on the welding torch, slicing your own arm off as you try to grab the C-saber/red chainsaw, shocking yourself on the end of the stun baton, etc.

Also it shouldn't be possible to disarm someone holding a small object; most of it is going to be clenched in their fist!
revolvers could do the bay thing and sometimes go off while you're fighting for them
icarus Wrote:revolvers could do the bay thing and sometimes go off while you're fighting for them

No one should ever be punished for trying to disarm someone; if anything, the disarm action should also include pushing someone back as an option.

"You push Pubbie McShit!"
"Pubbie McShit stumbles back a few steps!"

If that comes up, well, you're free to fire.
I think it would be fun if objects had a chance to be 'thrown' from the holder from a disarm instead of just falling to the floor. Disarm a man with a gun and it slides across the floor and you both scramble for it, disarm a man with a butcher knife and it flies into a random crewmember, etc.
APARTHEID Wrote:
icarus Wrote:revolvers could do the bay thing and sometimes go off while you're fighting for them

No one should ever be punished for trying to disarm someone; if anything, the disarm action should also include pushing someone back as an option.

"You push Pubbie McShit!"
"Pubbie McShit stumbles back a few steps!"

If that comes up, well, you're free to fire.
i don't mean it should shoot towards either guy who's disarming, more like it could fly out randomly hitting a window/unrelated crewman
MyBlueCorners Wrote:I think it would be fun if objects had a chance to be 'thrown' from the holder from a disarm instead of just falling to the floor. Disarm a man with a gun and it slides across the floor and you both scramble for it, disarm a man with a butcher knife and it flies into a random crewmember, etc.
This sounds much more cliche and fun.
Only if it actually counts as throwing, so you can whack a butcher knife away from the killer chef, and have it embed itself into the skull of an innocent bystander. v
MyBlueCorners Wrote:I think it would be fun if objects had a chance to be 'thrown' from the holder from a disarm instead of just falling to the floor. Disarm a man with a gun and it slides across the floor and you both scramble for it, disarm a man with a butcher knife and it flies into a random crewmember, etc.

It'd be even better if items dropped this way end up under tables. There you are, wrestling a gun out of a guys hands when it flys under the table and he doesn't see where it went. But you did unsmigghh
I like the idea of guns going off in a random direction while wrestling over them, and maybe the possibly of a range of effects.

Right now, disarm does one of three things:
1) nothing
2) disarm
3) knock down

It'd be cool if we could broaden the possible effects., like, maybe in between disarming them and knocking them down, there could be the possibility of both people getting knocked down? Or both knocked down and the item skittering away? Or the item being activated in hand in the struggle (like accidentally turning a csaber off)?

You know. Spice it up
Game wise adding some more things to the disarm would be p fun.

Someone pulls a gun out, someone else tries to disarm and the gun either shoots off in a random direction or accidentally hits one of the two people.

Struggle with a csaber ends with one of the two people losing a limb.

Struggle with a fire extinguisher ends with someone getting blasted with the deathmix entirely by accident.
Having random things happen is much more preferable to the current situation of some percentage of the time, someone managing to knock something out of someone else's hand like a ninja.
Berrik Wrote:Having random things happen is much more preferable to the current situation of some percentage of the time, someone managing to knock something out of someone else's hand like a ninja.

It's more like you're smacking at their hands and sometimes they drop it and other times they just go wtf lol stop smacking my hand.
Half the time when I try to disarm someone I end up failing 4 times in a row anyway. It sucks when someone gets a lucky hit off, but otherwise you're screwed in every fight ever against a traitor unless you have a proper weapon. Imagine an artistic toolbox rampage. He's unstunnable, undisarmable, and can knock you unconscious in a hit or two. Rampages really don't need any more help, and we shouldn't limit non-harmful fighting options.
Karakoran Wrote:Half the time when I try to disarm someone I end up failing 4 times in a row anyway. It sucks when someone gets a lucky hit off, but otherwise you're screwed in every fight ever against a traitor unless you have a proper weapon. Imagine an artistic toolbox rampage. He's unstunnable, undisarmable, and can knock you unconscious in a hit or two. Rampages really don't need any more help, and we shouldn't limit non-harmful fighting options.

Well artbox IS artbox. It's definitely the best (and most boring imo) rampage item compared to spacker/belt/chainsaw/saber/safari kit, so I wouldn't use that as a reference. But I do agree that a disarm shouldn't fuck over the person attempting it. Even though it's hilarious you shouldn't have an arm cut off trying to disarm a saber (unless it's a REALLY small chance). I do think disarming someone and having an item go skidding across the floor or fire off at someone else is cool though.

What I'm thinking is: whatever chance there is to disarm (idk say 25% or something), add another seperate 10% chance on top to throw the weapon, fire it, etc. This way disarms don't get harder but change the dynamics and sort of put the fight on equal ground. Then again this might just be annoying as shit so I can't really see if it would work in-game or not.
How about adding different disarm actions based on the part targeted? For example:

Left arm/hand: A good chance of disarming the left hand slot.
Right Arm/hand: A good chance of disarms the right hand slot.
left/right leg: Very small chance of causing someone to trip, making them drop both things in hand. Also has a small chance of causing you to stumble.
Chest: Chance of pushing someone one tile.
Head/eyes: Maybe have a small chance of causing blurry vision?

This way, to have a good chance of disarming someone you'll have to be targeting their arms/hand. And if you want to be daring and try to trip them you have an equal chance of fucking it up.