Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
remove the 'thrall' name tag from thralls
thralls are very obvious: they are noisy, they bleed a lot and they look like zombies.

but most importantly, they have a name tag that makes them obvious when they talk and also via radio. so you immediately know there's a vampire if one of them talks via radio and that takes some of the mystery out of the round, especially on rp.

i think the 'thrall' name tag should be removed. any opinions on this?

queen greater domestic space-bee
Completely agree, it's jarring to see someones name become thrall on the radio and instantly gives meta-knowledge of antag types to everyone. I think them being obvious is a good thing, visually and audibly, but at the risk of sounding like an incredible nerd, it completely ruins immersion when I see the thrall tag.
Agreed, just a bit silly I think.
I agree.
On RP we don't mind it, we say stuff like it's a SKIN CONDITION.
But to Classic/Normal players..
I can 100% agree that you want them out of ze picture, as it's a dead give away that the thrall can no longer sneak around or talk (while having the option to)
It pretty much puts a giant sign on your head saying: "I AM AN ANTAG THAT DIES EASILY, TOOL BOX ME PLEASE"

So removing it makes sense.
(09-21-2022, 12:34 AM)Munien Wrote: Completely agree, it's jarring to see someones name become thrall on the radio and instantly gives meta-knowledge of antag types to everyone.

They still "gurgle" when they talk, I don't think it's too hard to ignore it.

Thralls are a person stuck and mind-controlled in a rotting, blood-oozing body. Killing (and cloning) them is generally a mercy.

I don't think i'd be against this, but it'd be somewhat dangerous on classic when people can make huge thrall armies since they'd not have to hide their faces.
(09-21-2022, 05:51 AM)Cal Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 12:34 AM)Munien Wrote: Completely agree, it's jarring to see someones name become thrall on the radio and instantly gives meta-knowledge of antag types to everyone.

They still "gurgle" when they talk, I don't think it's too hard to ignore it.

Thralls are a person stuck and mind-controlled in a rotting, blood-oozing body. Killing (and cloning) them is generally a mercy.

I don't think i'd be against this, but it'd be somewhat  dangerous on classic when people can make huge thrall armies since they'd not have to hide their faces.

Wouldn't they still have the emaciated, blue-ish look that thralls get? Not as obvious of a giveaway as a full tag to their name, but even if a doctor tries to heal one they'd be outed from the unique screaming sound.
(09-21-2022, 06:16 AM)fungicidal Wrote: Wouldn't they still have the emaciated, blue-ish look that thralls get? Not as obvious of a giveaway as a full tag to their name, but even if a doctor tries to heal one they'd be outed from the unique screaming sound.

They can hide their face, arms, legs and everything with clothing. You seen the ole "Unknown" clause before.
But they do come up injured, bleeding and moaning if healed.

So again idenitifying thrall armies aint' too hard. Let alone Security should be alert to someone NOT wearing an ID or a Thrall slumping around since they walk slower.
Yeah I am on board with removing the thrall tag. I said this months ago almost verbatim.
Don't really see the point in having the thrall tag personally.
i kinda agree with cal. maybe if there were some kind of speech impediment added
I agree with the removing the Thrall tag when talking, considering how speaking on the radio as a normal person gives something like this:
Alex Wilo [145.9] says, "Hello!"
While when you speak as a thrall it will say something like:
Thrall Alex Wilo [145.9] gurgles, "Hello!"

Then, if we remove the tag it will give something like:
Alex Wilo [145.9] gurgles, "Hello!"
which will leave the gurgling visible, but not being a flat out giveaway, because some mutations (notably plain genetic instability) might grant such gurgling as well.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/10956
thank u leah!