Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A bit to do about mimes
There's been a bit of dicussion about adding traitor items and possibly bringing mime to a roundstart position lately again. I feel mime is a uniquely fun gimmick job and it's sad that it gets sniped a millisecond into shift start, which also reduces chances of ever seeing antag mimes, but I'm mostly here to talk about ideas to add to the mime though, to give it a bit more oomph to make it worth the official job status.

The obvious pick would be things like invisible walls, but I heard that TG did that first so the devs would rather something else. I can't exactly remember the general opinion on french themed stuff but I think I remembered that being devisive? So I thought, with the mime being black and white, what about slapstick focused stuff? Imagine it. A huge hammer that could make someone's sprite look goofy and squashed for a bit. Step on the broom traps. A move or remote that summons an anvil from the heavens above to slap down on a tile. Items that are loud, large and goofy will do the talking for you. Would be fun to hear suggestions on this, for both antag items and non-antag mime stuff.

There was also another idea I had in the discord. It might be approaching mime magic, but imagine a crayon that would have different effects based on the word you queued when you write it out fully. Fart would fart, blood would summon a tide of blood, zap would spawn a little arc jolt etc. Over time, people could continueously add to this item as well, making it something that would only get better (hopefully balance wise, I imagine the effects as being minor overall but with flavour) the longer it's about. This hopefully gets around skirting mime magic by touching more on the artistic vibe. That being said, I'm no coder and I don't exactly know the practibility of having it recognise the word and active only once you've written it down, and next to each other at that.
Simple approvement.
Mimes are muted and thus have a fun downside to them like clowns.
(09-19-2022, 03:27 PM)CalliopeSoups Wrote: There's been a bit of dicussion about adding traitor items and possibly bringing mime to a roundstart position lately again. I feel mime is a uniquely fun gimmick job and it's sad that it gets sniped a millisecond into shift start, which also reduces chances of ever seeing antag mimes, but I'm mostly here to talk about ideas to add to the mime though, to give it a bit more oomph to make it worth the official job status.

The obvious pick would be things like invisible walls, but I heard that TG did that first so the devs would rather something else. I can't exactly remember the general opinion on french themed stuff but I think I remembered that being devisive? So I thought, with the mime being black and white, what about slapstick focused stuff? Imagine it. A huge hammer that could make someone's sprite look goofy and squashed for a bit. Step on the broom traps. A move or remote that summons an anvil from the heavens above to slap down on a tile. Items that are loud, large and goofy will do the talking for you. Would be fun to hear suggestions on this, for both antag items and non-antag mime stuff.

There was also another idea I had in the discord. It might be approaching mime magic, but imagine a crayon that would have different effects based on the word you queued when you write it out fully. Fart would fart, blood would summon a tide of blood, zap would spawn a little arc jolt etc. Over time, people could continueously add to this item as well, making it something that would only get better (hopefully balance wise, I imagine the effects as being minor overall but with flavour) the longer it's about. This hopefully gets around skirting mime magic by touching more on the artistic vibe. That being said, I'm no coder and I don't exactly know the practibility of having it recognise the word and active only once you've written it down, and next to each other at that.
Slapstick sounds fun.

While the crayon seems fun, it also seems hellish to balance. But assuming it's an antag item, it could probably piggy back a bit off of ritual code.
personally i'm of the opinion that a good idea is a good idea, regardless of if somebody did it or not first. i really liked being able to make invisible walls, pulling up invisible pianos to drop on people among other things. it's what a mime would do, really. i'd probably bust a gut if i heard a piano fall and crush somebody on the other side of thee station. miming also involves a degree of mimicry in it. a combination of the traditional miming arts and technology like a pair of gloves that could imitate a blunt weapon, a gun, a knife, etc.

or going off what you were saying, maybe some kind of gun. you'd write something down (BLAM!) and cram it in the gun to make it fire like a .38. or (BZZT!) to make it fire an electric projectile
suppressor that goes on any gun

even the mprt
I would say an invisible mime car but how would that even look or work. Then I thought, no it wouldn't be good enough. An invisible mime unicycle though, appropriately french and mime like thats the ticket. No idea what it would do. Quick thought is it functions similar to a segway but when the mime uses it they cannot be knocked off of it unless they run into a wall. They also get an invisible steel rod to joust the crew with while on it.

I also like suppressor suggestion by Mouse, gives a good rampage option.
I don't like magical stuff without some effort. Een the chaplain is very mundane in comparison to tg codebase ones. And there are invisible walls already, they are granted by mime eggs.

I would like to suggest an item to make the mime play more with the idea of mimicry of items, and give the mime a "faking" twist: the cloaking applicator.

The cloaking applicator comes with 20 charges. Recharges can be bought at the QM or by applying syreline on the applicator (4 per syreline).

Using the applicator turns a handheld item invisible for 30 seconds (apply a 95% or 100% transparency filter over the item and add a "invisible" prefix to it). While held in hand, the cloaked item shows no sprite and cannot be seen by the examine command. The item can still be seen by everyone that can see invisible ink (also removes the transparency filter from them).

Beyond that, add a traitor item that is a one-time use of this for 1 TC without a 30 second duration. Make a traitor mime hide the yellow cake right in front of the RD's door! Laugh in the face of the secass trying to flash you while wearing invisible sunglasses! Hide the block of plasmastone in the escape shuttle! Juggle with a maxcap TTV right in front of the captain.

Instead of adding in multiple invisible item interactions, thiswould enable the mime to make and play with real items amd make it look like they have nothing in their hand. Even the chat box would fake them adding invisible items in their pockets. The charges, the 30 second timer and the restriction to handheld items are there to prevent grief.

If you want to go further, make the applicator contraband, like the barkeeper's shotgun.

This would enable normal mimes to make their favorite stageplay, while enabling traitor mimes all kind of shenanigans (i'm waiting for invisible katana rampages).
(09-21-2022, 02:59 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I would like to suggest an item to make the mime play more with the idea of mimicry of items, and give the mime a "faking" twist: the cloaking applicator.

The cloaking applicator comes with 20 charges. Recharges can be bought at the QM or by applying syreline on the applicator (4 per syreline).

Using the applicator turns a handheld item invisible for 30 seconds (apply a 95% or 100% transparency filter over the item and add a "invisible" prefix to it). While held in hand, the cloaked item shows no sprite and cannot be seen by the examine command. The item can still be seen by everyone that can see invisible ink (also removes the transparency filter from them).

Beyond that, add a traitor item that is a one-time use of this for 1 TC. Make a traitor mime hide the yellow cake right in front of the RD's door! Laugh in the face of the secass trying to flash you while wearing invisible sunglasses! Hide the block of plasmastone in the escape shuttle! Juggle with a maxcap TTV right in front of the captain.

Instead of adding in multiple invisible item interactions, thiswould enable the mime to make and play with real items amd make it look like they have nothing in their hand. Even the chat box would fake them adding invisible items in their pockets. The charges, the 30 second timer and the restriction to handheld items are there to prevent grief.

If you want to go further, make the applicator contraband, like the barkeeper's shotgun.

This would enable normal mimes to make their favorite stageplay, while enabling traitor mimes all kind of shenanigans (i'm waiting for invisible katana rampages).

Genius, someone get on this
(09-21-2022, 02:59 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I don't like magical stuff without some effort. Een the chaplain is very mundane in comparison to tg codebase ones. And there are invisible walls already, they are granted by mime eggs.

I would like to suggest an item to make the mime play more with the idea of mimicry of items, and give the mime a "faking" twist: the cloaking applicator.

Beyond that, add a traitor item that is a one-time use of this for 1 TC. Make a traitor mime hide the yellow cake right in front of the RD's door! Laugh in the face of the secass trying to flash you while wearing invisible sunglasses! Hide the block of plasmastone in the escape shuttle! Juggle with a maxcap TTV right in front of the captain.

This is a great idea. It'd be nice if doing so also silenced firearms, keeping with the whole silent mime aesthetic. Might be too powerful at that point though.