Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
nerf accents
so for a while i never thought much of the accent traits until i played on rp. so i thought maybe they might be more fun to use. i cycled through them all and i made the following observations:

1) people really struggled to communicate with me! i'd talk to people and they'd take a little longer to reply as i imagine they needed to take the extra time to parse what i was saying.

2) upon going to medical and opening my mouth the very first thing doctors would do/say is offer me a mutadone pill. this tells me that accents by and large are viewed as something debilitating and not worth dealing with so have a mutadone!

3) very very very few people use accents. i could probably count on one hand the amount of other people i saw using accents. 

now as the title says, i think it might be good if accents were nerfed. my issues with each accent is as following:

elvis - it makes you talk like your tongue was cut out of your mouth. not very elvis-like at all.

scottish - probably the least worst one but the way it replaces words tends to confuse people. maybe make it a 50/50 to replace a word?

swedish - largely unintelligible. i know it was originally a joke based on the swedish chef character from the muppets 

french - not as bad as the others but sometimes it really mangles consonants and vowels

tyke - unintelligble most of the time since most consonants/vowels are replaced with e's 

chav - less intrusive than tyke

anyway i suggest they be nerfed at least on rp. they have the potential to add flavor for rp but in practice they add a layer of annoyance in communicating with other people and are viewed as such since most people will offer you a mutadone.
many players hand type accents, i think this could be a good option for you since coding a way of speaking seems bonkers difficult to do. research language choices or speech patterns of your desired accent, practice helps

that said the accents are pretty hard to understand for some people (including myself) but its usually a deliberate choice for someone to have or not, iirc i have seen someone enjoy the level of difficulty it adds to understanding them for one reason or another
(09-17-2022, 11:56 AM)Retrino Wrote: many players hand type accents, i think this could be a good option for you since coding a way of speaking seems bonkers difficult to do. research language choices or speech patterns of your desired accent, practice helps

that said the accents are pretty hard to understand for some people (including myself) but its usually a deliberate choice for someone to have or not, iirc i have seen someone enjoy the level of difficulty it adds to understanding them for one reason or another

i think this sums up my issue is that they are so obtrusive that you are much better off doing it yourself manually
I feel like accents can be fun, there are accents that downright are ment to make you unable to talk.

Though butt accent is a fun one with guessing.

Others just are obnoxious.
I will pop on swedish just to cook meatballs all round as chef from time to time. You think it is hard to understand that mutation just add in the additional fact I play lizard almost exclusively. Sss and bork bork for days.
You didn't typed outmost superior accent of tjem sll: finnish!

Honestly, i found this to be one of the best accent thatvreally mimicks what an accent should do. Make you a bit unintelligible by throwing sone vocals around or eating up a few words. Saying "Pee" instead of "bee" always creates hilarious moments in botany, and this is all that is about.

I think most other accents are just a bit too extreme.
We should just catagorize each accent 1st before changing them.
Which are super disruptive
Which aren't
Which you can get from the start
Which you can't
Which are fun
Which aren't

And then rank them acordingly to wich one needs more a fix.
Sorry Kotlol which not wich.