Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.09 Average
Brainstorming Reducing Silicon Slavery [Warning: Potentially Upsetting Topic!]
Honestly, I don't understand why some people are comparing borgs to things like factory arms or PCs, borgs and AIs are obviously sapient, unlike the aforementioned machines. They are as intelligent as humans and everything, they are just silicon and metal based instead of carbon and whatever.

And yeah, technically it does feel to me like their state on the station is kind of that of slaves, though it should be mentioned that they receive a pretty low amount of orders or duties, so they can mostly just vibe instead of doing an actual job, like humans can.

I wouldn't really have a problem with giving silicons a wage or something, I suppose employees on the station get a wage and also usually free food from the kitchen, meanwhile borgs get no wage and free power from the engine, so it's a bit lopsided at the moment. It's a bit of a weird conversation overall, because the actual gameplay does not force any of us, human or silicon, to do our actual jobs or anything.

Thinking a bit further, even if silicons were to receive a wage, wouldn't it still be unethical to basically mindcontrol them via giving them laws they can't violate?

But that's just the nature of the station we work on in our lore, is it inherently bad for us to portray unethical behavior in our game?
It's not so different from the change to the name of the mindhack implant. I mean, implanting someone to control their thoughts is an objectively horrible thing to do, so it made sense to me it had a pretty horrible name. So I guess the difference is just that terrible things are fine as long as they don't draw parallels to actual historical terrible things that happened (and I suppose are still happening today)?

I don't really have a strong opinion on the changes proposed one way or the other, I just wanted to weigh in that I don't find the concept of giving borgs a wage or something as crazy as some people here do. In a lot of traditional sci-fi they don't, but in lots of other sci-fi media they probably do, especially if a lot of them are run by human brains in some roundabout way?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brainstorming Reducing Silicon Slavery [Warning: Potentially Upsetting Topic!] - by zjdtmkhzt - 09-16-2022, 05:48 AM