Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
some thoughts on addiction
for harder drugs like meth i don't think the withdrawal effects are debilitating enough to even worry about (hell, if you're in the market for vomit, they're even beneficial). at the same time, the only option to cure an addiction is to have someone sleep it off or just waiting. i'm not a big fan of that.

few ideas:
- make withdrawal symptoms for harder drugs way way worse for you. somehow.
- introduce a new medical chem to cure debilitating addictions, also making it available in the public med vendors (high price, low dose)

🐸
I think some kind of flush using IVs would be cool
I had this idea too but more for common but annoying addictions like alcohol. Its bad when one beer can make you an alcoholic for 20 minutes.
One chem that is used sometimes in real life is disulfiram, a chemical that basically make you super sick when you take alcohol, which will make you want to consume it less.
It could be funny to treat an alcoholic with it so it would cure his addiction, at the same time causing debilitating effects if they take alcohol while its still in their system.

It possibly COULD be applied to any addiction-causing chem too
Addiction's annoyingness without any real downside has kind of bugged more for awhile - I echo the bit Botch says about just a bit of alcohol causing a ton of throwing up is a big bother, particularly on RP. It's so common and mild that it doesn't feel particularly engaging to RP around usually, either. And it sucks that the cure, sleeping, takes you out of being able to hear anything for a little while, so I really like the chem-cure idea. So that could work nicely for the issue of "too annoying for the lower-grade causes". If a whole new chem is a bit much, maybe throwing it onto something else that feels "miscellaneous" and is publicly buyable like spacecillin would work nicely?
(Yes, penicillin has nothing to do with this sort of thing afaik. But this is spacecillin!)

Regarding more serious effects for harder drug addictions... hits to the stamina/stamregen are a nicely unobtrusive yet "I want to get rid of this" sort of thing. Random stuns and slowdown are on the table too, especially if this is just for the stronger drugs - you do a lot of krokodil, you're past the point of "oh no my silly actions have awful consequences"!
Honestly, non-secret drugs are currently so weak that i think stronger addiction effects are counter productive.
i forgot addict trait was a thing, having a permanent addiction with debilitating effects would suck and i'm not quite sure how to address that
(09-15-2022, 08:49 PM)DisturbHerb Wrote: i forgot addict trait was a thing, having a permanent addiction with debilitating effects would suck and i'm not quite sure how to address that

Curate a list of very specific not so bad addictions, that being said I agree with what lord earhfire said since drugs have been drastically scaled back in usefulness applying more of a nerf to them indirectly through withdrawals being more extreme is just kind of pointless at this point.

If however the effects of drugs were buffed and the withdrawals were subsequently also increased in potency that would be a completely different used syringe to be sure.
(09-15-2022, 09:35 PM)DioChasek Wrote: ... that being said I agree with what lord earhfire said since drugs have been drastically scaled back in usefulness applying more of a nerf to them indirectly through withdrawals being more extreme is just kind of pointless at this point.

tis why i propose balancing stronger withdrawal symptoms with adding an effective cure that isn't just "sit in a sleeper for several minutes", milord 🥺
(09-18-2022, 04:59 AM)DisturbHerb Wrote: tis why i propose balancing stronger withdrawal symptoms with adding an effective cure that isn't just "sit in a sleeper for several minutes", milord 🥺

Exactly this....
Cures being: "JUST SLEEP" is the most boring cure ever.
Be it addictions or food poisoning... the cure being "JUST SLEEP IT OFF" takes you out of the game for a while
Sure it's your fault.. but no alternative cures is annoying.

So yes... increase damage and problems of both food poisoning and withdrawal but have chemicals be an effective way of curing it.
Make it so... sleeping is a fair and safer option, but chem flushing might have painfull side effects so you gotta be in medbay on the safe side in case an organ is damaged.
I think we are on two different wavelengths at the moment. An alternative method to remove addiction is a great idea I won't deny that. Sleeper beds as a whole are the most boring way to treat something in the game. My gripe was that overall most things you can get an addiction to aren't giving you a powerful enough upside to justify making the downside more extreme than the current withdrawal symptoms. There are a few examples that are way out of line with how powerful the effect of the drug is (looking at you meth and bath salts) to the downsides of addicition being neglible, but for the most part a large majority of addictive chems aren't that powerful.
I worked at a addiction Detox Centre for some time so I'll try to offer some insight.

Rest and time is the main form of treatment. But while patients were awake we could give medication to help reduce the symptoms from their addiction. Stuff to manage upset stomach, pain, and anxiety caused by the cravings. For opiate addictions they'd be prescribed Suboxone (Buprenorphine/naloxone) to help stop the cravings. Methadone would also be used for that, but it was very swapping addiction for addiction.

For some addictions like alcohol, I think Robustissin could be a good thing to.. maybe make the addiction remissive? Since it treats things like flu, and food poisoning, some of those are similar symptoms to ethanol addiction what with the vomiting. And the vomiting is the part people don't generally like to deal with long term in game.

Things like Ether and Haloperidol also seem like existing meds to maybe help handle some other addiction symptoms in game like twitching, stumbling, and etc with the cost of being sleepy for a bit until those addictions are remissive? Sort of like anxiety/ sedatives we'd use to help manage those symptoms in Detox Centres.

Just some ideas, anyways. Could always go a fantasy cure all med way too. Dr. Acula