Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Artist module for cyborgs
Artist Cyborg

A combination of the painter job with a musician job. Stars with silvery paint, an efficiency upgrade and a black beret.

It features:
A pen, a fancy pen, a paper bin and some extra fancy color changing crayon that can change colors.

https://streamable.com/i2kq2p

A color changing paint brush, a canvas holder ( comes preloaded with 3 canvases ) and a sponge to clean up your messes.

https://streamable.com/hbc8b8
https://streamable.com/3pv3ca

An engineering lamp manufacturer and a floor and wall designer to decorate rooms.

An assortment of instruments:
Guitar, Banjo, Fiddle, Trumpet, Saxophone, Tambourine, Cowbell and Triangle

Thoughts on it?

Since I had no previous code experience for Byond, my code for the color changing brush and crayons were copy and pasted from the existing rapid-crayon device.
Same thing for the canvas transporter, just a copy of the existing atmospheric transporter for silicon.

The canvas loader coming pre-loaded with 3 canvases could be abused by jealous artists.

Cyborgs using brass and woodwind instruments could be argued as them using their voice module to fabricate the sounds.
It could replace Brobocop, and get anything worthwhile in Brobocop module to be transferred to the Civilian module.
Seems cute, seems the most fitting as something that you can find out in space, maybe a doc purchase or tossed into one of the prefabs (also loot crates)?
It'd be nice to have access to the floor and wall planner as a borg outside of the ocean maps, with the Construction Module.

If it wasn't for the floor planner, I'd suggest rolling it all up into Brobocop or Civilian, since there's some crossover.
Brobocop needs SOME reason to exist.
Civilian kind of has too much already. But... is the most fitting.

I'm voting against it being hidden somewhere borgs can't get it. Like it being sold somewhere.
Nothing would ruin a round where you just want to chill out and art than having to beg someone to go crawl through the debris field for you or something.

At worst, have it in a crate from the QM or something.

But anyway, +1 for 'fun' cyborg modules! Playful cyborgness is important too!
To be honest I'm not a good artist, so I am mostly in it for the instruments.

I am not opposed of not adding the modules and instead just adding the tools to other modules.
Civillain: Color-changing crayon, color-changing paint brush and canvas holder.
Brocop: All the instruments.
Engineering: Floor and Wall planner so I can finally fix the bar wooden floor after it explodes.
(09-13-2022, 09:20 PM)Love Wrote: I'm voting against it being hidden somewhere borgs can't get it. Like it being sold somewhere.
Nothing would ruin a round where you just want to chill out and art than having to beg someone to go crawl through the debris field for you or something.

Many modules are already bloated so Id rather not add more tools that never get used to modules that dont really use them. I personally see the appeal of gimmick modules less of something you go out of the way for and more of something a roboticist goes "hey someone found this module, anyone want it" and you volunteer and play around with it. I think having artist module as something thats possible is cool but I dont think you should go borg if you expect to play around with artist stuff as it honestly doesnt really fit as a standard module.
Here's an idea...

Module sub versions.

Now cyborgs can decide what parts of each module they want.

So for civi you can go: Janitor, Botanist, Cooking, Art
But you can only have 2.

Something in that direction?
(09-14-2022, 11:54 AM)Ikea Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 09:20 PM)Love Wrote: I'm voting against it being hidden somewhere borgs can't get it. Like it being sold somewhere.

Many modules are already bloated so Id rather not add more tools that never get used to modules that dont really use them. I personally see the appeal of gimmick modules less of something you go out of the way for and more of something a roboticist goes "hey someone found this module, anyone want it" and you volunteer and play around with it. I think having artist module as something thats possible is cool but I dont think you should go borg if you expect to play around with artist stuff as it honestly doesnt really fit as a standard module.

I like gimmick modules and parts too, don't get me wrong. And it's always super neat if someone shows up with an antique borg head or thrusters or a construction module.

But, I mean, we seem to be having a trend, with the art gallery at HQ, and the artist role, of encouraging people to let their creative flag fly. Which in itself is the latest in a long line of cool creativity-forwarding additions to the game. Goon has been INCREDIBLE for that lately. But I can't see any real reason why borgs should not be allowed to be creative, any more than anyone is. Nobody has decided that borgs must mean only drudge work.

The brobocop module is basically all for fun, with essentially zero 'use'.
Civilian borgs have plenty of generally for fun things, in addition to their work uses.
The construction module, rare as it is, already has a floor planner, which exists entirely for aesthetics.
We have fashion options and silly faces and colour changes and such for our borgs that are really just for fun and have zero real function.
Lots of borgs aim to do fun projects, and some of my most fun borg memories are making donut shops and brig hydroponics colonies and other things like that.

I sort of feel that the artist module in the rewriter would be a bit of bloat too. But on the other hand, it's not like the list UI doesn't have LOTS and LOTS of room for more modules. So, whatevs.
why not just make it so you can get artist modules from hacked fabricators?
(09-15-2022, 01:18 PM)Love Wrote: But, I mean, we seem to be having a trend, with the art gallery at HQ, and the artist role, of encouraging people to let their creative flag fly. Which in itself is the latest in a long line of cool creativity-forwarding additions to the game. Goon has been INCREDIBLE for that lately. But I can't see any real reason why borgs should not be allowed to be creative, any more than anyone is. Nobody has decided that borgs must mean only drudge work.

Roundstart borgs having modules specifically to do artistry I dont think really fits thematically with borgs being workslaves for nanotrasen. If someone wants to do artist stuff guaranteed round start they can (and should) just go staff assistant, mechanically itd be roughly the same and thematically it just works way better.
module idea sounds fun, I like the idea of it being like the construction module where someone can bring it back for the cyborgs, and maybe it can be offered on the space maps and not ocean maps to balance out the construction module?
(09-15-2022, 01:44 PM)Ikea Wrote:
(09-15-2022, 01:18 PM)Love Wrote: But, I mean, we seem to be having a trend, with the art gallery at HQ, and the artist role, of encouraging people to let their creative flag fly. Which in itself is the latest in a long line of cool creativity-forwarding additions to the game. Goon has been INCREDIBLE for that lately. But I can't see any real reason why borgs should not be allowed to be creative, any more than anyone is. Nobody has decided that borgs must mean only drudge work.

Roundstart borgs having modules specifically to do artistry I dont think really fits thematically with borgs being workslaves for nanotrasen. If someone wants to do artist stuff guaranteed round start they can (and should) just go staff assistant, mechanically itd be roughly the same and thematically it just works way better.

borgs aren't slaves

but anyway i think it could work in the sense that cyborgs are meant to supplement a specific department and assist in a certain way. artist borgs could serve that function in a similar way that clowns do in that they're meant to be there for morale/entertainment
I have given the brobocop module a new pen that can swap between writing modes, a rainbow crayon in addition to their random color crayon they get, and a sponge to clean up drawings.
The rainbow crayon the brocop module got isn't quite the same as the color changing crayon I designed. Is it too much power for a player to have?

Also what would be the opinion on adding the instruments to BroCop module and a nerfed floor and wall designer ( 1 tile range, takes a few seconds to work per tile ) to the engineering module?