Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ideas to give AI more presence
When everything goes to shit, with nukies or a blob ravaging the station the AI is always be watching it all go down, but a lot of the time that's the only thing they can do. It might be intentional design to have them like that, but I can't help but think of how it would be if AI had more of a presence on station rather than opening and closing doors.

I haven't put a ton of thought into these ideas and I'm not saying they should be added but my goal is to get people thinking about what would make AI a more fulfilling role to play.

For one, an interesting idea I thought of is AI getting more objects that can be teleported around, for example, the mini-med. When a situation arises one of these can seriously help out the crew and keep people in the game longer, and when I teleport one to the front lines and see dying crew survive because of it, I really get the feeling I'm helping. So maybe things like portable barricades would really let a smart AI control the situation and give the crew (or the antags if rogue) a tactical advantage.

Now I'm aware some people will mention shells and it may be different for others, but when I pick AI I want to play as AI, not a borg, so here's where my other idea comes into play, removing the ability for AI to control borg shells and adding a new shell system completely. At the start of the match AI will start with 2 or more small shells much like the ones that they already start with, these will be able to be assigned jobs, for example, giving one the job of a doctor with a simple synthflesh mender. An AI would be able to control this shell directly much like a flockmind would give commands to flockdrones without possessing them, the doctor one would be able to be sent to locations and AI would be able to direct it to heal a specific person. Of course it wouldn't be anything fancy, if they moved while it was healing it wouldn't follow them or anything. Maybe even let AI give them a spot and they would heal anyone that comes close.

Another job the shells could use would be engineering, allowing AI to give a command to construct or deconstruct tiles, maybe even allow AI to set areas of empty space to be filled with floors.

I sadly don't have the time or experience to design these ideas but if someone reading this does, maybe experiment a little bit? I know I mention flockmind and if the guy that made flock is reading this, you did amazing with the command system on that and I think something else with that design would be awesome.

I'm sure people will have their opinions about these ideas but if you're reading this, please give a thought to what about AI could be changed to give them more control over the station they to, reside on.
It is is 100% intentional on the design. As for the drone ideas I would say no probably not a good idea, it would make doctors do less, engineering do less, and a deconstruct order is just asking for griefers to use it to depressurize the station.
I think one thing important to the AI/Human relationship is that it's symbiotic. The things a human can do should be made easier with an AI to assist. For instance, ordering crates, adjusting teleporter corridinates, operating doors, etc. The AI can speed things along for someone, and in return the AI should need a human to be it's hands.

It could be interesting if the AI could operate more location specific equipment. Like being able to run and adjust kitchen ovens. Like using the AI to mix chems to keep the human safe from reactions.
(09-08-2022, 10:00 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I think one thing important to the AI/Human relationship is that it's symbiotic. The things a human can do should be made easier with an AI to assist. For instance, ordering crates, adjusting teleporter corridinates, operating doors, etc. The AI can speed things along for someone, and in return the AI should need a human to be it's hands.

It could be interesting if the AI could operate more location specific equipment. Like being able to run and adjust kitchen ovens. Like using the AI to mix chems to keep the human safe from reactions.

Exactly this.
And if the AI needs to operate kitchen ovens and chem dispensers there is something called the AI shells wich gives them cyborg properties.

Or request your local roboticist a cyborg shell, now you have a cyborg body that can function cyborg stuff.

The reason we do not give cyborgs or AI's more tools or QoL is because... then players want to be cyborgs more often since you can do more.
The reason cyborgs are limited and clunky is that cyborgs while fun, need to be seen as a "lesser but different play style"

Borging is considered execution. It's suppose to be bad.

As an AI you have way more control and power then you think... The more creative the AI and borg players are.. the more dangerous they are when they get rogued.

In alot of ways AI's and Borgs can work faster then humans on several things and not get tired. While humans can do more complex things in a row and can pick up certain tools and weapons the borgs and AI can't.

And if you need an IN-LORE explaination... it's simple:
While they can replace every employee in NT with perfectly functional borgs, the problem remains that 1 emp pulse can make the borgs go insane and start a robot uprising.
I've said it before and I will say it again the most dangerous antag the station can have is a rogue AI with a plan and the ability to maintain the illusion that they are not rogue until it is too late.