Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
In defence of chemgroups
The ability to save chemgroups provides one of the only parts of research that can reasonably be called research (apart from maybe figuring out toxins mixes), it's the main reason I play scientist: to spend time figuring out weird and complex chemical combinations to use later. I think removing the ability to save them altogether would make chemistry a lot less satisfying to play without preventing the problem of people just being able to look up and use the "most effective" chem mixes.

If the intent is to make speedrunning complicated mixes slower, then maybe make chemgroups take time to load/execute. Have the time taken scale with the number of different reagents used and give people a chance to notice that you're brewing up a pitcher bomb in the bar.

(The chemgroup recording feature is great btw <3)
For my chemgroups, I have only ever stolen or researched my own recipes. This is undoubtedly how chemistry is meant to be played, and it reflects real world practices perfectly.

Making chemgroups recipes take longer to execute would be a good fix for how powergamey they can be, but I would be very sad to lose my only consistent means of doing murder as AI.
Chem groups are important, solely because sitting on the chem dispenser with a reference sheet is bullshit and not fun.

Making chemicals should be engaging. That means that multiple steps should be combined when making very potent chems. Sourcing your chems is engaging, fiddling around with proper reaction temperature and dilution is as well. Sitting at the dispenser isn't, really.

So i am 100% for chem groups to stay the way tey are, but i want to add more complexity to recipes outside of the recipe itself.
Make chemgroups require the user scan their ID and they're saved to that particular ID. So you can keep your mixes a bit more private, takes a little more to use them, and if you want to leave them for others to use just don't clear your ID after.
I could have sworn you could already do that.

Was that changed in the last...yearish?