Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Dwarf and Aquatic Genetics included as Traits for Character Creation
Make Squids vulnerable to fire/cold in exchange for taking no oxy. Also yes dwarfs, please!
(09-05-2022, 02:15 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: if its the anaerobic metabolism that would make them imbalanced then why not give them a significant weakness to compensate? like a lower stamina cap, needing to keep hydrated (by drinking water or running into water naked as you need to do in order to clean yourself on RP)

That would be neat but it would take a lot of coding, I'd think, which may go against the idea of "this is in the game already, just flip a switch".

To be honest after Washbasin's comment about how making anaerobic much more common, and all the work it would take to go around that, it might be better to just abandon the idea of squidpeople in general being included, at least as far as this post is concerned. The whole idea behind me suggesting adding these was "all the work's done so why not?", so the fact that squidperson implies tons of work on behalf of the developers kinda contradicts the suggestion. So I'm editing my initial post and focusing on just dwarves.
(09-05-2022, 01:08 PM)Obengrad Wrote:
(09-05-2022, 02:15 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: if its the anaerobic metabolism that would make them imbalanced then why not give them a significant weakness to compensate? like a lower stamina cap, needing to keep hydrated (by drinking water or running into water naked as you need to do in order to clean yourself on RP)

That would be neat but it would take a lot of coding, I'd think, which may go against the idea of "this is in the game already, just flip a switch".

To be honest after Washbasin's comment about how making anaerobic much more common, and all the work it would take to go around that, it might be better to just abandon the idea of squidpeople in general being included, at least as far as this post is concerned. The whole idea behind me suggesting adding these was "all the work's done so why not?", so the fact that squidperson implies tons of work on behalf of the developers kinda contradicts the suggestion. So I'm editing my initial post and focusing on just dwarves.

Honestly it wouldn't be that much work, and I think if people are that worried about squid being op on one map (roach players mining/singulo, lol), we could easily give them some downsides. Especially considering the goon philosophy of other races is to specifically be gameplay impacting, no?
(09-05-2022, 09:59 PM)MomoBerry Wrote:
(09-05-2022, 01:08 PM)Obengrad Wrote: - snip -

Honestly it wouldn't be that much work, and I think if people are that worried about squid being op on one map (roach players mining/singulo, lol), we could easily give them some downsides. Especially considering the goon philosophy of other races is to specifically be gameplay impacting, no?

Y'see but that's the thing. No matter the downsides, no matter anything else, if the fact that it makes Anaerobic Respiration much easier to obtain isn't addressed, then the idea will still wildly shift the power balance of Genes as a whole. 'Cause it doesn't really matter if you're burned by salt, need water to breathe, etc. If a geneticist gets you in that booth then they're going to have a massive shortcut to one of the most powerful survival mutations they can make, and that effects everybody in the shift, not just you. I can see what you're saying, ESPECIALLY equating it to Roach being immune to radiation, and even agree, but it does in this instance go beyond just the singular person picking squidperson as a species.
For squids to be made into a choosable mutantrace, they should require water to breathe. And there should be a mechanic to allow them to use internals masks to breathe from a water tank like how oxygen tanks can be used.
Even roaches been nerfed lately to go from 100% rad resist to less then it.. they are less effected during rad storms (not deadly) but still feel it.
dwarves as roundstart feels Bad; I said mechanically why on PR but community-wise I dont really want anything that encourages people to do Kid Laborer RP, and yes before we get off on a tangent about ahelping, I have seen this multiple times.
(09-06-2022, 06:56 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: dwarves as roundstart feels Bad; I said mechanically why on PR but community-wise I dont really want anything that encourages people to do Kid Laborer RP, and yes before we get off on a tangent about ahelping, I have seen this multiple times.

Didn't think of that... oof....
Heck there is a mutation that turns you into a kid (reverse aging)
And there is underaged workers too who bump their age lower then 18.

....But. I can see THAT being a problem. GOOD CATCH!
i would love to be able to be a squid person regardless of the cons tbh

oh yea also ROCK AND STONE!!!!
(09-06-2022, 06:56 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: dwarves as roundstart feels Bad; I said mechanically why on PR but community-wise I dont really want anything that encourages people to do Kid Laborer RP, and yes before we get off on a tangent about ahelping, I have seen this multiple times.

I really don't see how that's relevant at all, honestly. Any sort of species or trait can encourage bad or inappropriate RP, but they also provide just as much opportunities for good RP. If individual people want to do weird shit like that, then it becomes a rules issue that can be solved by admins. Not to "get off on a tangent about ahelping", but that is kinda what it's there for, and it's not really worth stunting all the potential good RP to come from dwarf being a thing available at readyup.
(09-07-2022, 08:13 AM)Obengrad Wrote:

I really don't see how that's relevant at all, honestly. Any sort of species or trait can encourage bad or inappropriate RP, but they also provide just as much opportunities for good RP. If individual people want to do weird shit like that, then it becomes a rules issue that can be solved by admins. Not to "get off on a tangent about ahelping", but that is kinda what it's there for, and it's not really worth stunting all the potential good RP to come from dwarf being a thing available at readyup.

The way I see it is if people are gonna be gross about something let them. Better to sort themselves off the servers by a quick rule 4 ban and be done with it.
you say this like it's not something people have noticed and reported before that has not been handled on a rules basis; so, yes, mechanically I would like to inhibit people's ability to be weird.

I like the way some other servers handle it with just a height option rather than a full blasted This Is A Thing. But they also have higher spriter involvement to make sprites work with those transforms
Ok but that’s no different than a person making a racist character design in game and joining up. Shitty people are going to do shitty things with anything you give them.
yes, kinda agree with Nef, ive noticed... weird behaviors as well, on rp servers, around the dwarf gene, so id prefer it not be added round start.
(09-07-2022, 04:26 PM)DioChasek Wrote: Ok but that’s no different than a person making a racist character design in game and joining up. Shitty people are going to do shitty things with anything you give them.

I've heard stories about mutations and such being used alot to do very disturbing acts on the server and is why they removed it.
Because it eventually it becomes whack a mole.

Even some mechanics of the game got removed cause of grief and bad actors. Mostly Pathology comes to mind.