Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
Removing / Disabling Miscreants
Miscreants....
They exist. Nobody knows why. They serve absolutely no purpose, prevent you from getting actual job objectives (which is unfun if you are hunting for a medal on a single slot job), and genuinly feel outdated and wrong considering how there are objectives that encourages you to actually do antagonistic things:
"Destroy the Captain's prized bonsai tree."
"Forge evidence and bribe people into testifying that an entire department is involved in the illegal drug trade with the goal of convincing security to raid that department."
"Try to block off access to something under the pretense that it's too dangerous."

The only thing miscreant does is tricking new players into self-antagging, as being a miscreant gives you no additionnal rights to do more severe mischief, but implies you do through the weirdness of objectives.
They were introduced as something that should incite people to create interesting / fun situations, but it just fails its purpose, as you can be a miscreant that does not mischeif, and you can mischief without being a miscreant.
Not the first time this has been discussed https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=17335&page=3

but interestingly enough I don't see anyone in this thread disagree with the idea of removing them. I suppose the PR just went stale and it was forgotten. Definitely glad you bring it up again.
I 100% agree that players act like miscreants most of the time anyway.

I consider a miscreant someone who does something their job description doesn't apply to or doesn't benefit the station.
Like starting your own bar/shop.
Or doing funny chemicals/funny food.

It's always stuff that doesn't exactly benefit people.
I consider Miscreants similiar to the CLOWN.
They are mostly likely going to cause trouble to get arrested but may not harm crew or damage the station intently.
(Then again in my opinion the clown should be entertaining people with tricks and jokes to keep morale up.)

So removing them doesn't matter in Goon we get miscreant behaviour from non miscreants plenty of times.
Such as the infamous Botany weed growing.

Times have changed and the term miscreant does nothing. Unless they get a special permission for something and normal crew doesn't... removing them is fine.
But I think most crew want to do things like "TURN BIRB AND START A BIRB CULT" when they can't and not just when they are antag/miscreant.
personally i found miscreant objectives to be fun but ultimately a little pointless since they are not tracked

ideally though i think that if it were changed to a toggle or something then that would make things better
sure get rid of miscreant at least on rp
80% of the times I get miscreant I don't even notice, 15% of the time I end up ignoring it anyways.
I have had fun with the last 5%, faking a hostage situation for sec, beating up scrubs, using telekinetic push to pretend a wraith was haunting the medbay, but I can do this kind of thing with out the label if I was in a silly mood.
I give myself the miscreant role every round I play.
(08-31-2022, 05:17 PM)Mrprogamer96 Wrote: 80% of the times I get miscreant I don't even notice, 15% of the time I end up ignoring it anyways.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Ten trillion hours in, and I don't really know what the purpose of miscreants is.

I guess to encourage people to be bad.
But... you can't be bad, really. Because you aren't an antag.

Do a bit of crime? How much? How much until an admin dootdootdoots onto your screen to ask why you're breaking into somewhere, or slipping Sec while they're busy?
Be a jerk? Is anyone really just being good because the game hasn't explicitly given permission to be a jerk? I doubt it.
Encourages you to slack off at your job? Sounds fun for nobody. Not for you, or for people counting on you. You can just hang out at the bar by choosing Staffie.
The point of miscreants is to spice up the round a little but without having them go around murdering.
The unfortunate part is miscreants don't really matter in main goon because everyone is already a miscreant normally or seeing they got a miscreant role isnt' going to change anything they were already planning on doing.
Maybe in a server where it was calmer on average where people actually just do their jobs and then when they get miscreant they act up weirdly instead it would work.
I would think RP servers would work with miscreant roles more but apparently it doesnt? I don't know SHIT about RP servers.
(09-02-2022, 11:31 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: The point of miscreants is to spice up the round a little but without having them go around murdering.
The unfortunate part is miscreants don't really matter in main goon because everyone is already a miscreant normally or seeing they got a miscreant role isnt' going to change anything they were already planning on doing.
Maybe in a server where it was calmer on average where people actually just do their jobs and then when they get miscreant they act up weirdly instead it would work.
I would think RP servers would work with miscreant roles more but apparently it doesnt? I don't know SHIT about RP servers.

All of goon basicly is miscreant. I think they were put so people have a reason to do illegal things that isn't killing.

Think when Weed was banned, farting on people was bad, using contraband that ISN'T ment to kill and such.
Basicly clowns.. but everyone does this stuff now to make rounds fun insted of being restricted to miscreant/antag/clown.

In my opinion removing it is fine, since people make weed and do illegal things every shift if they are miscreants or not.
(09-02-2022, 11:31 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: The point of miscreants is to spice up the round a little but without having them go around murdering.

For older players, yeah. Most people on classic are already self-miscreants. But when I was still a new player, the combination of miscreant and job goals gave me direction with what to do for my shift. So there's that aspect.
Even on rp people do miscreant things all the time when not a miscreant. Now granted the majority of it is things open another kitchen, do massive amounts of drugs, collect a bunch of shoes, kill all the ai monkeys (though that one sometimes actually has consequences). Its only purpose imo is to give you direction if you are new.
Yeah, either remove Miscreants or have a better outline for what they can and cannot do.
Have a public form where anyone can enter possible miscreant objectives on say goonhub

What could go wrong