Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Chem Station: Distillation Bench
You find yourself with a beaker, artifact or otherwise, with 2 or more interesting chemicals. The issue being you’d like to fully separate them without destroying the other, but, that really isn’t possible at this point in time (as far as I understand it).

My proposal is the introduction of the distillation bench, a single piece of equipment in the chemistry lab, that can completely separate a chemical from a mixed beaker without destroying the others. I’d imagine it being a combination of a heater and reagent extractor (mock up attached below). All the chemical compounds would have a specific vapourization temperature that would allow them to be extracted from the beaker of other reagents. 

Possible down side:

The heater should still interact as a regular heater. For example, if you have space drugs in the beaker are trying to extract a metal, the space drugs might turn to neurotoxin as the temp required for the metal would exceed 674 K.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yea this is a good idea
I remember times where I found a beaker with many good chems but i could only separate one.
This is a great idea for all the sci out there.
Doesn’t the chemicompiler have this ability?
(08-30-2022, 04:12 PM)Jakson Wrote: Doesn’t the chemicompiler have this ability?

Too complicated, we need something that requires 0 knowledge.
this is quite powerful tbh, part of chemistry is you can't isolate several powerful chemicals
Chemicompiler does this.

Go forth and be chemist, my friend:
https://112358sam.github.io/ChemiAssembler/
On one hand, isolating chemicals from stuff like artbeakers could have some sizable balance implications. On the other hand, you can already do it with brainfuck and I've never been partial to mechanics that are balanced through being annoying or difficult to use and the idea of vapor points and stuff like that would give chemistry a lot of character that it is truly, desperately missing. I really like the idea, but implementing it in a way that doesnt enable the worst, most unfun nerds might be tough.
(08-30-2022, 04:17 PM)CraftForumAccount Wrote:
(08-30-2022, 04:12 PM)Jakson Wrote: Doesn’t the chemicompiler have this ability?

Too complicated, we need something that requires 0 knowledge.

To be honest, chemistry needs to get more complicated. Recipes alone are too trivial due to chem groups. I am an advocate for byproducts and exothermic/endothermic reactions.

Having that said, chemfuck is a bit over the top.
There are no balance implications with this, since the chemicompiler already easily allows it. The worst unfun nerds already use the chemicompiler to separate chems.
I do it to all the artbeakers I find, pretty much. (So I can send the saltpetre to hydroponics, the fun chemicals somewhere else, and sell the empty beaker if there are no chemists to throw them at.)

I think it'd be good to open up this possibility to people who don't want to get into chemfuck or use external tools like chemiassembler, and I can't really see any way in which a change like this could possibly be bad.
(08-31-2022, 07:02 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: The worst unfun nerds already use the chemicompiler to separate chems.
I do it to all the artbeakers I find...

Hah.
I remember someone suggesting clowns get a dorky Baby's First Chemistry Set and it'd be funny if the Clown could get this version of the Distilling Station where the temperature increases increase wildly and you don't get to see what the actual temp is*. This would be a nice, simple addition for people looking to get around the obnoxious alternatives.
(08-31-2022, 07:59 AM)kyle2143 Wrote:
(08-31-2022, 07:02 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: The worst unfun nerds already use the chemicompiler to separate chems.

Hah.

Dear zjdtmkhzt,
This letter is informing you that your application to Clown State University has been accepted. We look forward to see you enrolling this fall. Hope you have a pleasant trip. 
Yours truly,
Dean Mopsy esq.
(08-31-2022, 08:37 AM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: I remember someone suggesting clowns get a dorky Baby's First Chemistry Set and it'd be funny if the Clown could get this version of the Distilling Station where the temperature increases increase wildly and you don't get to see what the actual temp is*. This would be a nice, simple addition for people looking to get around the obnoxious alternatives.

That was me :P
And that would be funny.
(08-31-2022, 09:55 AM)DioChasek Wrote:
(08-31-2022, 07:59 AM)kyle2143 Wrote:

Hah.

Dear zjdtmkhzt,
This letter is informing you that your application to Clown State University has been accepted. We look forward to see you enrolling this fall. Hope you have a pleasant trip. 
Yours truly,
Dean Mopsy esq.

This is a dream come true. 😍😍😍😍