Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Botany and their "illegal" plants
(08-28-2022, 02:57 AM)Kotlol Wrote: But should security crack down on these? Since alot of dangerous stuff grown in Botany mostly gets ignored till it's distributed to the public.
So how does security handle these things? Do we leave botany with their illegal stash as long as it's in botany or do we dispose of it?

There are many dangerous things around the station that gets nasty once it leaves its corresponding department or their members hands (radioactive metals or erebite, chem precursers, medical tools, the loafer, oshan engineering supplies, most sec gear, the bible, chem dispenser in general). Like you get from the botany vendor saltpeter, which is the prime precursor to black powder, unstable mutagen, which is in many deathmixes i encounter, and chainsaws. And i would appreciate it if security would take it seriously if a chainsaw gets missing

Besides of that, theres a bunch of dangerous side products or intermediate products botany creates. If you want to have lifeweed, chances are you will get some deathweed plants. Ranchers can sometimes need delicious apples. Rainbow melons are bound to happen if you grow melons for the chef. When you want to push the endurance plants you will sometimes get magic mushroom plants. Pentetic acid plants requires a splice with slurrypods. Booster enzyme needs hassle with lashers. And let's not start to talk about tree mutations...

Botanists are the experts for working with plants, and for as long as the stuff doesn't leave their department, i don't see a problem with that.

(08-28-2022, 02:57 AM)Kotlol Wrote: So now the other point of discussion is... should weed bans be taken more seriously or not?
It is TECHNICALLY seen as contraband in the games code, so why is having a ban recieved with such a "meh" from security?

The problem with weed/drug bans is most often that you as a captain need to convince multiple parts of command. When the HOS is not on board with you, you will most likely not get the ban pulled through.

The weed ban is very often already seen with neglect because it boils down to "search botany every once in a while". Because it's, again, simply not going to leave botany. And i can understand that searching a department that's not doing anything meaningfull every once in a while can feel like a waste of time. Even more so since security doesn't get much RP out of it, except the botanists work on their RP (and sometimes i am faulty in that regard as well).

And i have seen security become active when a botanist goes out with their dangerous produce and does some mayhem. Rafflesias in the hallways or medbay or someone selling meth are very likely to get security on your toes.

It boils down to how much interaction the botanists give out to the other players. If botany is very passive, a ban of their stuff doesn't add much to other people. Botany will most likely continue to grow, the crew won't get the stuff and sec won't care. If some botanists go out of their way to interact with people with their weed, like filling the pool with THC, security can have fun by having interaction.

Messages In This Thread
Botany and their "illegal" plants - by Kotlol - 08-28-2022, 02:57 AM
RE: Botany and their "illegal" plants - by Lord_earthfire - 08-28-2022, 06:01 AM
RE: Botany and their "illegal" plants - by Ikea - 08-28-2022, 09:00 AM