Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Botany and their "illegal" plants
Before we start, this is a discussion on botanists growing dangerous and "illegal" plants.
How we should go about it and what scenerios there are.

Because as we know...
BOTANY IS A PLACE WITH MANY WONDEROUS THINGS TO GROW!
From Weed to actual money... but the problem is... there are some plants non antagonists can grow that are... problematic.

We're talking Plasma Seeds
We're talking Raffesiala's with odd chems in them.
We're talking The Death Weed.

These are examples of plants security will possibly crack down on botany and remove the crops.

But should security crack down on these? Since alot of dangerous stuff grown in Botany mostly gets ignored till it's distributed to the public.
So how does security handle these things? Do we leave botany with their illegal stash as long as it's in botany or do we dispose of it?

Next up...
The contraband that always gets looked aside.

We're talking Rainbow weed.
We're talking shrooms.

Yea we are talking about things that set off alarms, but security ignores it.
After all weed is a Goon Tradition and the captain has to make it illegal before security does something.

Well... whenever I try to ban weed and meth as a captain, so antags have a reason to go underground or do creative things to take me out to make it legal..
Security will not do their job in getting rid of weed if it gets grown. Alot of the time security just says: "Good luck with that captain, hope the crew won't lynch ya."
So suddenly what could be a fun interaction of security cracking down on weed and antags litterly using drugs as a campaign to run against me...
I get security mostly unwilling to do those orders, I get antags just doing whatever (Not that I mind that, antags wanna antag) and Botany growing it anyway with me having to cut it down, wich won't go well...

So now the other point of discussion is... should weed bans be taken more seriously or not?
It is TECHNICALLY seen as contraband in the games code, so why is having a ban recieved with such a "meh" from security?

Last point of discussion. What plans would you put on your "Illegal list" as well? Not that they are illegal...
Example being a Money Tree, since it could collapse the economy if absued.

Anyhow discuss on.

TL;DR;
What's your view on security handling dangerous plants grown by botany? Lock it in botany or destroy it?
What's your view on weed getting banned by the command? Does security have to deal with it?
What plants do you view as "illegal contraband" without it being one?

EDIT: I thought I posted this in general... huh.
Security doesnt need to overreach into every department and part of hydro is experimentation and research, hence DNA manipulation and whatever, not just crop growth. If they wanna make weird rafflesias, that's cool, but it's on them to keep it in the lab, same way I probably wouldn't bring a petri dish full of my cool bacteria out of pathology. Especially now that there's hotbox shields, or if everyone is wearing gas masks and is fine with it in hydro, there's ways to just mitigate whatever weird risks a plant poses.

You as command have a right to crack down on drugs, but good luck enforcing it. Playing sec on stations that have banned drugs is miserable, usually ends with nonantags getting into really violent fights over it, and draws away from bigger issues in order to micromanage whatever weird stuff crew is doing with their free time. there's a reason vice officer isnt a job anymore, but this is also a better spot for assistants to go ticket or whatever versus trying to have a full blown security stomp out on drugs. If you really are committed to enforcing the ban as captain for The Bit, then do so. Fire botanists, fire lazy sec. mandate inspections of hydro planters every X minutes.

I think it is worth at least being mechanically conscious of how difficult some of the drug plants might be for people to make. Having someone make something like white weed and then immediately banning drugs so you can rip it out of the tray would be a Rude Dude Move; but you're also allowed to play a Rude Dude. 🤷‍♀️

Only plant I really truly hate are seethers. I let people grow them and explode One thing before they have to answer for it. sometimes people just want to make the haha funny tomato to throw at everyone at round end.
(08-28-2022, 02:57 AM)Kotlol Wrote: But should security crack down on these? Since alot of dangerous stuff grown in Botany mostly gets ignored till it's distributed to the public.
So how does security handle these things? Do we leave botany with their illegal stash as long as it's in botany or do we dispose of it?

There are many dangerous things around the station that gets nasty once it leaves its corresponding department or their members hands (radioactive metals or erebite, chem precursers, medical tools, the loafer, oshan engineering supplies, most sec gear, the bible, chem dispenser in general). Like you get from the botany vendor saltpeter, which is the prime precursor to black powder, unstable mutagen, which is in many deathmixes i encounter, and chainsaws. And i would appreciate it if security would take it seriously if a chainsaw gets missing

Besides of that, theres a bunch of dangerous side products or intermediate products botany creates. If you want to have lifeweed, chances are you will get some deathweed plants. Ranchers can sometimes need delicious apples. Rainbow melons are bound to happen if you grow melons for the chef. When you want to push the endurance plants you will sometimes get magic mushroom plants. Pentetic acid plants requires a splice with slurrypods. Booster enzyme needs hassle with lashers. And let's not start to talk about tree mutations...

Botanists are the experts for working with plants, and for as long as the stuff doesn't leave their department, i don't see a problem with that.

(08-28-2022, 02:57 AM)Kotlol Wrote: So now the other point of discussion is... should weed bans be taken more seriously or not?
It is TECHNICALLY seen as contraband in the games code, so why is having a ban recieved with such a "meh" from security?

The problem with weed/drug bans is most often that you as a captain need to convince multiple parts of command. When the HOS is not on board with you, you will most likely not get the ban pulled through.

The weed ban is very often already seen with neglect because it boils down to "search botany every once in a while". Because it's, again, simply not going to leave botany. And i can understand that searching a department that's not doing anything meaningfull every once in a while can feel like a waste of time. Even more so since security doesn't get much RP out of it, except the botanists work on their RP (and sometimes i am faulty in that regard as well).

And i have seen security become active when a botanist goes out with their dangerous produce and does some mayhem. Rafflesias in the hallways or medbay or someone selling meth are very likely to get security on your toes.

It boils down to how much interaction the botanists give out to the other players. If botany is very passive, a ban of their stuff doesn't add much to other people. Botany will most likely continue to grow, the crew won't get the stuff and sec won't care. If some botanists go out of their way to interact with people with their weed, like filling the pool with THC, security can have fun by having interaction.
Sec busting down botany for weed is just for funzies most of the time. Just adds some flavor to the round
Though I will say when it happens every round in a row it gets annoying.
(08-28-2022, 02:57 AM)Kotlol Wrote: So now the other point of discussion is... should weed bans be taken more seriously or not?

Quite a lot of other items are seen as contraband in the game code even if they aren't really dangerous or anything, for example basketballs, or toy sabers, or foam dart guns.
Them being contraband is similar to public urination, underage drinking and reading Beep's journal being a crime.

Consider that each time security is confiscating a weed leaf, they could have been RPing/on a chase/doing something that is productive or fun.
Putting a weed bad is unfun for everyone:
-Botany gets their work shredded
-Sec loses their time
-Crew gets VERY self antaggy
-Sec generally gets hated even more, as if their relationship with the crew wasn't already tense enough

So just, why doing all this, when you can just let people do what they enjoy, and don't waste everyone's time and efforts?
I've personally never seen a round where command decides to arrest drug people be positive to a round, its one of those things that at best people just kinda ignore all around and dont really have any feelings over, and at worst manages to upset nearly everyone involved. Botanys hard work is invalidated due to sec offs getting rid of the plants they spent lots of time on, security has to deal with crew being upset due to them having there fun stepped on, etc. Honestly contraband status from weed should be removed.
As someone who plays botany quite often, growing illicit drugs is a fundamental part of the job. Many players - including secoffs and captains alike - will come in, asking for said drugs. I’m almost certain cannabis is technically contraband under space law - but nobody seems to handle it as such. It’s safe to say that growing drugs such as weed doesn’t really harm the station as a whole, unless some doofus decides to hotbox everyone. However, some genuinely harmful concoctions can - and should - be destroyed by sec for the betterment of the station. Phlogiston spewing rafflesias, seething tomatoes, deathweed - these are highly dangerous and can actually do serious damage to the station, and should be removed to ensure the safety of others. Deciding what is - and is not - unsafe should be decided by command and security.