Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
More in-game punishments over bans
I was texting a buddy the other day and she said she was perm'd for arguably something appealable but her long notes history worked against her favor. Killing someone who wasn't an antag or playing with dangerous stuff. Not spamming slurs in OOC or being intentionally shitty to others.

It kind of made me think. Why do we ban for certain things that could be resolved in funny in-game ways and maybe even create fun gameplay for others? First I thought just antag ban people but that would just encourage them to be shitty as a non-antag further, so why not literally make it impossible for them to be shit?

Ex)

Scenario: Somebody kills a few too many non-antags for edgy reasons acting as a vigilante or something

Punishment: Revoke their ability to use harm intent for x amount of days, or just spawn as a dog or cat or something. They'll be forced to evade all fights and be a completely different person.

or

Scenario: somebody makes a canister bomb as a non-antag scientist and an antag picks it up and detonates it

Punishment: Job Banned from Sci for a month and the crewmember now spawns by default with the no limbs trait for a week

or even

Scenario: Somebody uses offensive speech out of rage but not in a distinctly targeted or intentionally matter

Punishment: Gagged for 24 hours, a week, etc... or forced to spawn as an animal.

I could see this be doable by forcibly assigning traits to people and a similar system.

I just think it would help take the edge off too. Some admins have hair-triggers, lets just be real. Everyone's here to have fun. If people run with these in-game punishments and continue to be shit, just ban them. Most people have good intentions

Thanks for reading and, I love you
Reframing breaking the rules as something thats a thing that you get a funny response (and thus a positive one) for breaking instead of you did a bad sit in the time out corner seems like a bad idea. By giving positive (even if annoying) feedback for breaking the rules seems like it goes against the point of bans being punishments
some of this is a code nightmare, some of this like job bans already exists, and all of it misses precisely the mark that ikea mentions
Yeah, I'm for shaming people as much as the next guy, but encouraging it is bad.
(08-26-2022, 01:57 PM)Ikea Wrote: Reframing breaking the rules as something thats a thing that you get a funny response (and thus a positive one) for breaking instead of you did a bad sit in the time out corner seems like a bad idea. By giving positive (even if annoying) feedback for breaking the rules seems like it goes against the point of bans being punishments

i think it could be made to work as like some kind of european extreme hard mode 

you could waive the right to appeal and instead:

you spawn in as a fat little blobberman (how hp, low stamina), you have 1 arm, you can't talk, or emote. your objective is to survive a round without dying. surviving a round subtracts x amt of seconds from a potential ban. if you die you harmlessly explode into a pile of snacks, drugs, and money therefore encouraging people to hunt you down and prevent you from fulfilling your objective. you would only be able to play once a day too. just make it miserable to play
We have shamecubes you know.
(08-26-2022, 10:26 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 01:57 PM)Ikea Wrote: Reframing breaking the rules as something thats a thing that you get a funny response (and thus a positive one) for breaking instead of you did a bad sit in the time out corner seems like a bad idea. By giving positive (even if annoying) feedback for breaking the rules seems like it goes against the point of bans being punishments

i think it could be made to work as like some kind of european extreme hard mode 

you could waive the right to appeal and instead:

you spawn in as a fat little blobberman (how hp, low stamina), you have 1 arm, you can't talk, or emote. your objective is to survive a round without dying. surviving a round subtracts x amt of seconds from a potential ban. if you die you harmlessly explode into a pile of snacks, drugs, and money therefore encouraging people to hunt you down and prevent you from fulfilling your objective. you would only be able to play once a day too. just make it miserable to play

Sadism at it's finest!
I would play a round or two of blobberman just for kicks!
(08-26-2022, 10:26 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i think it could be made to work as like some kind of european extreme hard mode you could waive the right to appeal and instead:

Having players (that got in trouble likely due to griefing) only way to play is one where the crew is directly being antagonistic towards them and they cannot interact with the crew seems like a terrible idea and one that would prime people for even worse habits.
edit: replied to the wrong thread bruh
(08-27-2022, 12:53 PM)Ikea Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 10:26 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i think it could be made to work as like some kind of european extreme hard mode you could waive the right to appeal and instead:

Having players (that got in trouble likely due to griefing) only way to play is one where the crew is directly being antagonistic towards them and they cannot interact with the crew seems like a terrible idea and one that would prime people for even worse habits.

like what? if i had to suffer like that and (if in this hypothetical i cared enough) i would probably re-think what got me here in the first place
(08-28-2022, 04:09 PM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 12:53 PM)Ikea Wrote:

like what? if i had to suffer like that and (if in this hypothetical i cared enough) i would probably re-think what got me here in the first place

Sadly though the number of people who wouldn't re-think their position would likely outnumber those who would. People as a whole are stubborn.
They made Appeals private for a reason and now this suggesting rears its head?
Not keen on giving people wacky reward-punishments for being annoying.
The only thing i see this being usefull for is getting more gimmick/humor roles into the game.

Wasn't the clown a punishment for bad player beaviour at first?