Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tasers are bad. Stun bullets too.
I can confirm Kiki's observation. On a server of 30 people or less, there usually aren't any officers around - at best, there's a detective. Nerfing the primary ranged weapon (up to making it single-shot, deary me) probably isn't going to encourage players to chose the job. And to be honest, I don't think tasers are that problematic. There only hold enough charge for four shots, stun duration fall-off is quite significant and in my experience, many people fail to hit their opponent anyways if the latter is moving around unpredictably.
When I first read the original post, I was against this, but then I actually gave it some thought. This is actually a pretty good idea. I can't count how's by times I've been a traitor, and some over zealous security guard tased me, stripped me, and spaced me. It won't stop some security officer from being unfun assholes, going off over a fucking fake mustache, but it will give the traitor a fighting chamfer without becoming a meth head. Also makes armor much more worth it to actually use. So far it's only useful in nuke rounds.
Cogwerks Wrote:An interesting thought. Hmm.
I'll mess around with some stuff later today when I get into town, might be worth doing a couple days with service revolvers or something to see how it goes. Protracted gun fights are definitely a lot more interesting than ZAP: YOU LOSE
Going on this, something else suggested here, and something I thought of the other day.

Security starts with service revolvers, right? Loaded with stun rounds, one spare box in the locker, more can be dispensed from the Vendor. The stun shots have the Cough effect (drops what they have in their hand, not really coughing, or maybe they got the wind shot out of them who knows) and 2+ shots would floor them like they got flashed.

Now, when shit REALLY hits the fan, like Syndicate or a Traitor on a god damn rampage, two officers or the HoS can swipe their cards on (something, I don't know, an ammo dispenser?) and it'll dispense a single box of lethal ammo. They couldn't just repeatedly swipe for more ammo, so give it like, a 1-2 minute cooldown period.

Revolvers are good, but I think Semi-Auto pistols would fit the security vibes more. (Lethal shots would be less damage than traitor revolver, more than detective, but with an all-round ammo capacity of one or two shots more.)
Semi Automatic pistols fit in more in line with the sci-fi future corporate security.

If they are required to use lethal rounds, I think them being a slight downgrade from the detective's revolver, however on the flipside carry ammo magazines that hold 12 or 14 rounds at a time would be a nice compromise, perhaps then add more ammo to the hacked fabricator.

Also can the .38 come loaded with stun rounds? or just give us more at the beginning, and allow us to unload any gun by using an open hand on the gun in your other hand.
Shoddy Wrote:Semi Automatic pistols fit in more in line with the sci-fi future corporate security.

If they are required to use lethal rounds, I think them being a slight downgrade from the detective's revolver, however on the flipside carry ammo magazines that hold 12 or 14 rounds at a time would be a nice compromise, perhaps then add more ammo to the hacked fabricator.

Also can the .38 come loaded with stun rounds? or just give us more at the beginning, and allow us to unload any gun by using an open hand on the gun in your other hand.
Out of anything I do wish there was a way to unload guns without firing them off. It would really help.
Detective's .38 Revolvers are now being dispensed by the Sec Vendors, along with ammo.

Question, does this mean everybody can use the detective's revolver?
Chike101 Wrote:Detective's .38 Revolvers are now being dispensed by the Sec Vendors, along with ammo.

Question, does this mean everybody can use the detective's revolver?
Um. I doubt it or at least really hope not.
Cue the entire, trigger-happy security force dressing like Dick Tracy and smoking up. Welcome to Noirstation 13.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:Cue the entire, trigger-happy security force dressing like Dick Tracy and smoking up. Welcome to Noirstation 13.
replace current sec with a Homicide Detective, a Vice Officer(who always has a miscreant objective to be as corrupt as possible), 2 Patrol Officers(who get stun batons and shitty pistols), and the Chief(HoS but starts every round fat).
I think making security the primary response to "DANGER" and making someone like barman the guy who tells assistants to KNOCK IT OFF when they've had to much to drink might be a good idea. Crewmen aren't supposed to griff security officers so most of the violence is near bar, or in the wrestling rink.

Give barman a monitor that lets him see if they're roughhousing too much in the ring.
Dauntasa Wrote:
Captain_Bravo Wrote:Cue the entire, trigger-happy security force dressing like Dick Tracy and smoking up. Welcome to Noirstation 13.
replace current sec with a Homicide Detective, a Vice Officer(who always has a miscreant objective to be as corrupt as possible), 2 Patrol Officers(who get stun batons and shitty pistols), and the Chief(HoS but starts every round fat).
I know this would never actually happen but you know what. I really like this idea. Only thing that would be the problem is that the Chief would need special fat clothes. Also out of them all only the Detective would be able to be an antag.
I like the idea of the dauntesa security department but HOS being fat might make HOS significantly less robust. (but it means HOS has to ride a segway around, which seems funny)

of course HOS could just sit in his office and yell at officers all day every day while stuffing his face with donuts.

YOU IDIOTS, YOU MADE ME GET OFF MY CHAIR! YOU KNOW THE DOCTOR SAYS I CAN'T HAVE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY!
Convair880 Wrote:I can confirm Kiki's observation. On a server of 30 people or less, there usually aren't any officers around - at best, there's a detective. Nerfing the primary ranged weapon (up to making it single-shot, deary me) probably isn't going to encourage players to chose the job. And to be honest, I don't think tasers are that problematic. There only hold enough charge for four shots, stun duration fall-off is quite significant and in my experience, many people fail to hit their opponent anyways if the latter is moving around unpredictably.

I feel like the original suggestion is not so much a nerf as like a sidegrade but do agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly

admittedly I haven't been playing much in the past month or so but when I hear people bitching about supersec I have to wonder if it's a timezone specific phenomenon because I always see sec abandoned/staffed by people who picked random and immediately say "oh fuck no not sec" when they get the job
Dauntasa Wrote:
I.. can't say this is a bad idea. I want to see it. Rearrange the HoS office so he can call the detective into his office, tell him to sit down, and yell at him for being a 'Loose cannon, but a damn good cop'
Only if you give each officer two ID's, one of which is shaped like a badge.