HoS Application - Cem Crowly/Private Tail
Usual character name: Cem Crowly, Private Tail, (non-sec asshole) Cement Clement
BYOND username: Eternal Muerto
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Eternal_Muerto#4541

Recommended by (if applicable): -
Goon servers you play: RP - Morty, Sylvester

Reason for application:

1. I want to grow in game and as a person.
  2. I was in many rounds when security team was disorganized, careless and, well, unprofessional. I think presence of HoS that would call officers to a meeting and told how to work better would improve performance of the team drastically. And in general, looks like only presence of HoS themselves makes security work better somehow...
  3. I would like to have new experience as HoS/NTSOC myself and hope me on these positions will help with giving more interesting rounds to the others.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I'm playing as security for the year now, i believe. I had awful start on security roles, well, was shitsec, then was told off, made pause and then return to the security roles with new characters (listed earlier).
As part of the security team i was in all kinds of rounds, i think. There were rounds with awesome security teams and no antags, rounds with awful security teams and whole bunch of very active antags, rounds with self-antags and without them, goofy rounds, shitshows and all in between.

As a bad round example i can think of one from a recent ones. We had about 3-4 officers and me as secass. As the only assistant i ofcourse took table duty and got myself ready to change records and coordinate officers (like recall when someone called for help and make sure officer would go to the calls, that stuff), and check cameras occasionally. But was surprised to see that officers did not marked their pinpointers, some of them not left their disks in the HQ and they never closing doors behind them, leaving security wide opened for the solid 30 seconds straight (and worse when almost all of them come to HQ). I made my best to let them know why closing doors to security is something you need to do, why do you need to leave disks and mark pinpointers, but was ignored (just an assistant why should officer listen to me). Further in the round were many situations when officers just quietly bring someone into brig, leave them in and then leave without describing or telling over the radio what happened who and why was arrested etc. So i could barely keep track of anything that happening and redact records accordingly. Later joined other person as secass too, and tried to explain all about closing doors and disks with pinpointers (with same results). Then finally joined HoS and made quite a progress with sec organization, but not with all of them... Anyway we made it to the end of the shift without station being destroyed.

As example of a good round i can recall one when there was conspiracy that turned whole science outpost (on the donut 2) into independent from NT Scitopia. That got HoS upset and was classified as riot. So the armory was opened, gear taken and troops went to a war. Scitopia fought brave and honorable, security did the same and at the end taken over science wing, but lost a few brave souls in the unknown azone... One of the rioters was taken to the CentCom in cuffs for the further interrogations. Such a good round to remember  bee 

And a few technical moments. As one who played almost only security roles for the year long i know how to operate secmate, how to use sec PDA functions, how to use forensic scanner and recordtrak. Feels like i found balance when i need to care about search and confiscation and when i should leave something "unnoticed". Obviously fixed my powergame-like behavior (that was pointed out in my previous courage-driven HoS application). Recently spoke with acting HoS (in LOOC) about my problems i should fix and was told to not discuss something i not liked in the round in preround OOC despite i just want to figure out what happened, who was wrong and what to do with it... so now i working with myself on that, since i know about that being problem.  it's okay, he'll be up again before you know it

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Security is about team work and constant communication with team and crew. Do not use your taser and baton if you can speak - do not escalate if it's not necessary. If you feel that situation will escalate to violence - don't be a hero, better call backup then die alone.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    I remember when i was vamp and confronted security, was cuffed and taken to the shuttle arrested, but continued to fight (you know, screech and releasing frost bats...) and officer holding me punished me for it by force-feeding security donuts. smile
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    In my opinion there is lack of security-issued health implants. Let's say officer was eaten whole or grinded... he can't get security health implant anymore... at all. I think security should have few spare implants, at least in the armory or HoS office to keep them as valuable as secoff gear.I would like to see some sort of taser pistol that can fit into pocket. To balance it maybe make it more charge consuming or just a bit weaker then standart one.Also i think it will be nice to add flashing from time to time effect to the security badge when it's equipped.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    When i'm the only one security i play much safer: 100% clonescanned, have some medicine on me, do not engage when i'm not sure i can pull it off, and when i do usually call captain or AI to at least observe the situation, fall back more often to just stay alive and good health even if it means baddy will ran away and continue their misbehavior for longer.When i'm part of the sec team i act more dangerously: leave medical care to the doctors and don't have medicine on me (only sweet-sweet doughnuts), may try to arrest known antag by my own (ready to call backup anyway), do not clonescan since team can use my disk when needed, and keep in contact with the team to know what we are doing and what active cases we have. As secass i usually take role of an operator to aggregate calls for security and coordinate officers' activity, clone dead ones using the disks, looking over HQ, open sec hangar.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    Cem Crowly is more of the freedom to act character, he is not ok to become different from the lizard race, likes to wear clown suit since he had lessons in clowning (actually happened in one round) and in general has a tendency to clown-like behavior. Sometimes grumpy, but in general calm and cold-blooded (he's a lizard, got it?! honk), friendly and ready to help with anything he can.Private Tail is more of the hardcore gameplay-wise. It's a monkey made and taught in the laboratory to work in security. As we all know monkeys can hop over the tables, and travel via mail pipes, so it is powerplay, right? Yes, kinda. To balance it Tail has terrible aim and can't use ranged weapons, his feet is too small to wear any kind of boots so he is always barefoot, can't properly write or type (exception: he can operate secmate to change statuses because he remember how to do so - monkey see, monkey do), prefers style over defense so he wears cute/good looking hats and nice looking clothes (or security badge) instead of armor vest and helmet. And, since it's monkey and not monkefied human he speaks like a dumby making him hard to understand sometimes. It's happy and funny monkey, a bit too brave (charges to fight scorpions, snakes and other threats with his "security stick" even if there is detective, HoS, NTSOC that could deal with it with no problem) and he tries his best to be good security officer.I have a few ideas about HoS and NTSOC gimmicks, but i need to try it first to find out if i am comfortable with them and if people will like them or not... But i will figure something out, i'm sure of it.
  • Draw a picture!
    I don't want to gross you out with my 3-years old drawing skills.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
Only one. Was banned for a month when i was just starting playing. Ban was deserved and i served full time without appeals.
TLDR: -0.5

(08-23-2022, 02:55 AM)Eternal_Muerto Wrote: Recently spoke with acting HoS (in LOOC) about my problems i should fix and was told to not discuss something i not liked in the round in preround OOC despite i just want to figure out what happened, who was wrong and what to do with it... so now i working with myself on that, since i know about that being problem. 

Hey there, I am the HoS you spoke to that round.
To clarify, I did not tell that the problem is not discussing something you did not like in the preround chat, but rather that the problem is chewing out another player about past round and entering a full scale dispute with moderate insults with them in the preround chat, despite multiple people telling both of you to stop and to ahelp, more over that the inital issue that led to the dispute (self antagging from the other player) should have been ahelped initially and taken care about by the admin, and not cooked till the preround chat into a dispute.
I have personally witnessed such disputes involving you twice, one about a month and a half ago, the other about three months ago.

As I said when we spoke about it (see quote), an HoS is a person that has not only IC, but also condsiderate OOC responsablities, especially when it comes to handling rule-breaking issues, like such, and entering a dispute with a rule-breaker in public OOC chat is not something I want to see from an HoS.

Despite that, I must say both Cem and Private are always solid officers, that I like to see on the team, always communicative, team-players, proactive and making attempts to solve issues peacefully.

I will for now be leaving a -0.5 on this application, because even though I have not seen other OOC disputes from you since we spoke about it and I know you are working on it, it was still quite recently and I cannot be yet fully sure that a full scale change has yet happened.
Maybe to become a +1 in the nextish cycle.
(08-23-2022, 04:12 AM)Chatauscours Wrote: I have personally witnessed such disputes involving you twice, one about a month and a half ago, the other about three months ago.

Yes, indeed, that is a problem (mine) i pointed out. Thank you for the explaining it more. And yes, i didn't started other disputes, that's why you didn't saw them.

Thank you for respond
[/quote]

Hey there, I am the HoS you spoke to that round.
To clarify, I did not tell that the problem is not discussing something you did not like in the preround chat, but rather that the problem is chewing out another player about past round and entering a full scale dispute with moderate insults with them in the preround chat, despite multiple people telling both of you to stop and to ahelp, more over that the inital issue that led to the dispute (self antagging from the other player) should have been ahelped initially and taken care about by the admin, and not cooked till the preround chat into a dispute.
I have personally witnessed such disputes involving you twice, one about a month and a half ago, the other about three months ago.

As I said when we spoke about it (see quote), an HoS is a person that has not only IC, but also condsiderate OOC responsablities, especially when it comes to handling rule-breaking issues, like such, and entering a dispute with a rule-breaker in public OOC chat is not something I want to see from an HoS.

[/quote]

This is worrisome to me.

I myself have never had a poor interaction with you OOC or IC. I absolutely love you adding Cem to your roster of characters since they are able to more freely act on situations and talk over the radio. PRIOR to knowing that you played that character I was worried about communication, I don't see tails shotcall or talk on the radio all that much to be honest. Usually this isn't an issue, you always respond when called and don't seem to forget about the radio at all. As a peer, I don't think I have seen much leadership from you. I know it can be stressful and feel like you're stepping on peoples toes from time to time but I'd really like to see you step up and control the air a bit more!

With all of this considered I'll be voting +0
Due to the problems listed by Chatauscours and my own conclusion of your leadership abilities. I think you have lots of potential inside you somewhere, I'd like to see a bit more of it before I can vote in favor.
Quote:I don't think I have seen much leadership from you. I know it can be stressful and feel like you're stepping on peoples toes from time to time but I'd really like to see you step up and control the air a bit more!

Well, when i am playing as secass or even secoff i don't feel comfortable to take control in my own hands since i'm the same rank or even below so it's not quite right with me to be leader in those situations. I'm trying to keep security team and their duties in mind and trying to lead them, but usually i can't push too hard (RP-wise) since i'm not a HoS or captain... So it's more of a recommendations to act in some way and not real leadership.

In other words i'm not taking leadership as my prior as secass/secoff just because i am staying in my lane. If anyone will promote me i will try my best to be leader you wanted to see. But that's not happening and i'm staying in my lane.

Thank you for the response!
a bit iffy about this application, i think ive played many rounds with you and i noticed you dont communicate much, via radio for example. communication is very important - notifying others of what you're doing, if/why you've arrested someone, etc. - and i think you can improving a lot in this. but, as Bigbro said, im sure you have potential, ive seen you playing secoff and you are good at it
(08-26-2022, 03:41 AM)mab Wrote: i noticed you dont communicate much, via radio for example. communication is very important - notifying others of what you're doing, if/why you've arrested someone, etc.

Hm, i think i'm reporting anything unusual, suspicious i spot, if i'm marking someone for arrest or arresting i making team know... If i'm going somewhere when i think situation can heat up i reporting it too... Only real thing i can say i'm not usually reporting is when i responding to calls, but i making it my habit too now.

Anyway, thank you for the response!
(08-25-2022, 09:28 AM)Eternal_Muerto Wrote:
Quote:I don't think I have seen much leadership from you. I know it can be stressful and feel like you're stepping on peoples toes from time to time but I'd really like to see you step up and control the air a bit more!

Well, when i am playing as secass or even secoff i don't feel comfortable to take control in my own hands since i'm the same rank or even below so it's not quite right with me to be leader in those situations. I'm trying to keep security team and their duties in mind and trying to lead them, but usually i can't push too hard (RP-wise) since i'm not a HoS or captain... So it's more of a recommendations to act in some way and not real leadership.

In other words i'm not taking leadership as my prior as secass/secoff just because i am staying in my lane. If anyone will promote me i will try my best to be leader you wanted to see. But that's not happening and i'm staying in my lane.

Thank you for the response!

I would suggest changing this mindset, as it feels like the one thing preventing you from showing us if you are HoS-ready. You do not need to be a HoS or Captain to help lead security. Many HoS you see now were once secoffs too that helped lead their teams, whether or not they had a HoS or Captain present. Be more active and assertive in decision-making, organizing, and correcting fellow secoff behavior.
(08-26-2022, 02:09 PM)Bazhaar Wrote: Be more active and assertive in decision-making, organizing, and correcting fellow secoff behavior.

I am trying my best to do so. I am speak up when i see someone doing full search after minor crime, or confiscating anything just because it's a "traitor" gear, when officers act not like good officers should. I trying to correct their behavior, i trying to lead, and i trying to organize, and i'm being assertive in decision-making, BUT (as i said earlier) in 95% situations i at least being ignored or being detained (with tasers and batons) or even beat up "to put assistant on their place" ... just because of the rank it feels like.

I'm not sure how i can be more assertive if my input just not reaching it's address. It is not like "please help, i'm so good but no one listens to meeee!" and more of "How i can take the lead if all others actively acts against it?" You can not be team leader if the "team" decides they don't want to be team. And in the other situations security team already good and all officers works in the team, have good feelings how to act and does not need any inserts about some decisions, organization and behavior correction.

I hope to get any practical tips on how i should take a lead if there is anything i can do and don't do. But in any case thank you for the response!
(08-27-2022, 01:33 AM)Eternal_Muerto Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 02:09 PM)Bazhaar Wrote: Be more active and assertive in decision-making, organizing, and correcting fellow secoff behavior.

I am trying my best to do so. I am speak up when i see someone doing full search after minor crime, or confiscating anything just because it's a "traitor" gear, when officers act not like good officers should. I trying to correct their behavior, i trying to lead, and i trying to organize, and i'm being assertive in decision-making, BUT (as i said earlier) in 95% situations i at least being ignored or being detained (with tasers and batons) or even beat up "to put assistant on their place" ... just because of the rank it feels like.

I'm not sure how i can be more assertive if my input just not reaching it's address. It is not like "please help, i'm so good but no one listens to meeee!" and more of "How i can take the lead if all others actively acts against it?" You can not be team leader if the "team" decides they don't want to be team. And in the other situations security team already good and all officers works in the team, have good feelings how to act and does not need any inserts about some decisions, organization and behavior correction.

I hope to get any practical tips on how i should take a lead if there is anything i can do and don't do. But in any case thank you for the response!

This is a common issue I see in other games like Squad or ARMA. It can be really demoralizing to try and organize a team if everyone wants to behave like individuals. My word of advice to you is this. When you have people who do not wish to cooperate or lack the skills to function as a team you have a few options.

The strategy I use for stuff like this is called herding cats. If you can't have an open dialogue with people of your intentions to lead them there is a way I am confident helps with getting everyone on track. If you provide people with the best possible information and lead by amazing example it eliminates options for people to make poor decisions. Communicating what you're doing, what other team members are doing as well as what is generally going on at the station at a bare minimum gets everyone in the same loop. Once everyone is understanding of what is going on you can non-confrontationally suggest or request for people to do things. This gives someone an easy objective they can do with little decision making as you have essentially outlined the best processes. Here's an example.

You: "Welcome in Bob, currently we have one active case, the clown took the captains ID and we are currently looking to have a chat with them. They were last seen at ____. Let's try and talk to them before arresting them."

a little while later

You: "Bob, if possible respond to that call at medbay please."

Even if it's an obvious thing to say simply communicating what's going on can lead to leadership opportunities. This works with both high and low experience officers since it doesn't imply that anyone doesn't know what they are doing or that you are even calling the shots, you're simply herding the group in the direction of the best options.
Hm, ok, i can see logic in it. Thank you)
Okay, to start, I'll fully disclose that I haven't played RP much recently and haven't seen all of your changes.

In the past, I've seen you be very unbecoming of the behavior an HoS should display, you had a tendency to power game and be a bit quiet and hard to understand when you would speak with the team. Personally, I feel an RP HoS should be clear and concise as well as they should not be displaying these behaviors. As I said this is mainly past experiences and anecdotal at best but this application hasn't given me much more faith in change. I'll try to catch you on an RP round to see if I'm wrong and you've changed but currently I'd stand at a -1. I do still think you could be a good HoS with a bit of change to this behavior and some stepping up to lead but I feel like it has been multiple chances now and not much has changed.
I've been with you on several shifts. I remember you mostly from being that original sec monkey, however I don't remember you from the good leading or action.
I also remember one accident(not 100% sure if it was exacly you) where one secass(probably you) wanted to keep professionalism in team and told secoff to label his pointer, then it turned into a secass batoning after you stole something from officer until he labeled the thing. It was weird situation that was on the border of being kind of toxic. However it gave me idea I realised that round and whole situation turned to be okayish.
Anyway, +0 from me. Nothing special I've noticed from you, but I think you are improving and might become HoS next cycle.
(08-30-2022, 12:34 AM)Maniac Wrote: I remember you mostly from being that original sec monkey, however I don't remember you from the good leading or action. (1)
I also remember one accident where one secass(probably you) wanted to keep professionalism in team and told secoff to label his pointer, then it turned into a secass batoning after you stole something ... (2)

(1) - yes, Tail is not the leader at all and he will never be one. I might make different monkey from the Tail line, but it will be something else and changed in some ways to be leader... But Private Tail just an officer without any reaches to be something more
(2) - yes, that secass was me, but you missed part of that story. I indeed wanted officer to label pinpointer as good officers should, and asked to do so few times with and without explanation why it should be done. At the first officer told me that he (or was it she, doesn't remember) will not mark it and i, ofcourse, asked why. Officer did not answered at all, nothing IC and OOC, so i explained (at that moment) why we even bother with marking them and asked to do so again. Then officer started beating me with baton (not even stuning, just harm-batoning), that's why i disarmed him and took away baton (want to point out that i never punched or harm in any form that officer). And i reported over the radio that i was beaten by that officer. I never planed to keep baton or make a scene out of it, i don't even mind if that officer would say something like "then do it yourself" or gave me some reason why he left pinpointer unlabeled. But straight up beating security member just because he asked to label pinpointer was too much that's why i decided to stand on that. Also i want to point out that other officers came in and did not took situation in their hands, did not try to find out what is happening and what the situation is, but instead just stuned me, took baton and ran away. Also fun fact, that did nothing and officer left pinpointer unmarked for the half of the shift. But still i have (and had) no hard feelings about it and personally at any point would do anything for that officer i would do for any other officer.

All above just clarification. Thank you for your input)