Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clown identifiability (+ a bit of mime)
I've seen some talk (mostly an RP thing) about extra clowns. Some people feel as though it's stealing the real clown's limelight without the downsides. Personally I've never seen a clown upset at having clown friends, but there are things that could be tweaked that would make extra clowns a bit less frowned upon.

Firstly I think wearing clown clothes at all should transfer all the clown bad sides to the wearer, this gets around the "picking staffie to play clown without the downsides" complaint.

Secondly I think the real clown should have a 100% chance to get the funny text gene. I've talked with quite a few clowns and I don't think I've met one that likes the fact that it's chance based. The funny text establishes the clown as the head honcho of jokes, and is nice for recognition on the comms too. Hell, I think you could even go a step further and introduce the current colour varients and more so there's one of each, adding to identifiability, but this isn't very needed and might have pushback.

This is a non-issue for mimes, I rarely see extra ones and they're always conspiring or wordlessly talking about something creepy if there are. I'm not an advocate to bring back the black and white gene and make it a 100% chance for them, but I think it would be a good idea to give mimes the option with a job reward or something.
As a clown main I 100% agree with everything you just said, especially the always have funny text gene. I do wonder though if a ling eating the Highlander clown would be hard to code that they too get the funny talk gene to really get the identity down. Or perhaps they don’t and they now have a single crew member type they really shouldn’t eat and use as an identity, an Achilles heel like the chaplain is to vampires and wraiths.
As a RP main person, if I ever roll clown and I see another clown, I will get upset and go "THEY BE INFRIGING MY CLOWNYRIGHT!"

See where it takes it.. If I am antag clown.. you are now a target for me.

To be fair I want the clown job to have perks that fake clowns can't have as well. Something to show that, this is the clown, that's someone who is being a clown.
I finally caved and made an account here to participate in this discussion.

From what I've seen, the only people that bring up stealing the limelight from others are those that aren't playing or main-ing clown like those on the RP servers. I'm not sure why it's such a big issue, other than the fact that it pales in comparison to the days where someone could scream "CLOWN!" in general communications and everyone could denote who they are referring to; gone are those days, honestly. Anyone that primarily plays as a clown and is dressed up outside of the role, tends to respect the player and the role of the original clown for that shift. I've had many great interactions with other clowns (Tooty/Slips, Mopsy, Beep the Buffoon, Bum Bum, Twinky, and many more) and we all tend to be unique in what gimmicks are tied to our characters, what personalities we have, and allow each other the space to operate without detracting from one another.

Pertaining to making the original clown unique, I agree that they should start out with the comic sans font, but I disagree that anything else as a negative trait should be assigned to the clothing (outside of slipping with their banana boat shoes). The original clown should be the clumsiest of clowns. Anyone that dons a clown mask just to cause some mischief or to grey tide can be handled IC or at the very most with an Ahelp. Security is already able to recognize the original clown because they are permanently marked and I believe that it's tied to the role and can't be changed? If you wanted to do something visually for them to stand out for the rest of the station, I'd argue the original clown should have the South Park wobble effect.
Welcome to the forums Donk.
I agree with the comic sans bit. It's always struck me as exceptionally strange that it was a 50% chance. If it's so common, why have it be a chance to begin with?
God yeah. Whenever I play clown and don't get comic sans, it's such a disappointment!

Also, people talking about dodging the 'downsides' of clowns?
The downsides are awesome! Clown surgery or cuffing yourself is comedy gold!

Nonclowns are crippled, not better!