Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ranch improvements
I am really enjoying the rancher job (and would consider it my second main job behind botany), because it is an interesting mix of botany with what you could describe best as xenobiology on the tg servers (without the completely busted stuff).

Now, while i could talk about suggestions forthe rancher job, i would like to talk about the ranch itself. Mainly, i would like to talk what the ranches need in general. I have found that some ranches on some maps lacked stuff i would like to have, while other stuff had stuff i would like, but they not necessarily need.

1. Sponges

Really, that one is my biggest gripe. Most maps have sponges in the ranch, but some do not (can't check currently, will make a list later). While a sponge does somewhat step on a janitors territory, it's important for the rancher because you can remove feed on the ground with it. A sponge gives you the ability to quickly remove feed to make the pen ready for a new breeding line (or quickly remove vomit if you went for some animal abuse... )

2. Expansion possibilities

To be honest, the donut 2 ranch us the best ranch to play on, solely because it got 4 pens with incubators and nesting boxes (and uv lamps, 2 hydroponic trays, a sponge and so on...). While it takes much space from the map and is somewhat overdimensional, the other ranches are very small. This makes it hard to expand the ranch. Most of my rounds start with me running into the supply rooms to grab tools and steel sheets to add nesting boxes and split the pens to have 4-5 instead of 2. 2 pens are very hard to work with if you want to pursue multiple breeding lines. Because of this, i would like the ranch (especially in oshan) to have some more space to work more freely with. Besides this, a QM-orderable box with incubators, eggs and nesting boxes would be lovely if your ranch gets blown to smithereens. 

3. Fishing and knitting supplies

I think i will induce some rage with this one. But can we move these out of the rancher inventory into a special closet? Currently they sadly don't have much of a use, so I would see them moved somewhere to mark their status as "optional".

4. A mass driver in the vicinity

This one is purely optional. But i found the mass drivers in thr maintenance tunnels to be perfect to dispose unwanted chicken (rad storm victims, a chickensplosion due to an eager rooster, most rooster in general) or dolly. I always appreciate having one near the ranch.

Overall, i wanted to pitch these suggestions and brainstorm some other ones so we can improve the ranch layout.
1: Nothing wrong with that. I don't see why not as it's clearly needed to clean pens.
I mean medbay has a chem dispenser so does the bar.... they don't need CHEMISTRY TO DO IT.
Also janitors have way more tools and duties then "Remove feed / vormit from pen" so this makes sense.

2: 1st off you mean DONUT 3. Not 2. Yes it's the biggest one, but abit too big in my opinion, still you can have 4 pens wich is great, where as other ranches aren't even 1/4 of the size. While I am actually AGAINST the rancher having their own tray and UV light and think botanists need to share with the rancher. (I mean the rancher only needs 2 trays technically)... I think more pens is better for most rancher players... infact having more space would help. There is a reason Cog 2's Ranch was in the back of Botany originally and not left above it.

3: Knitting is worthless at the moment but fishing... fishing is needed for specific chickens. The problem is you can barely do anything with it unless you find a place to fish, find a fishing portal or fish in "questionable areas" I think the fishing portal needs to be standardized for rancher so they can do something in the early shift while they wait for chickens to grow up... also I just want more ways to get fish to slap people with.
So no don't get rid of this or Dolly. Though I think Dolly and knitting needs to be added more since as our friend points out in 4...

4: Ejecting chickens isn't a bad idea, but in my idea there just needs to be a device somewhere that you can put chickens in and "something happens to them"
Handling chickens is hard, so what if there is a "chicken disposal unit" where you take a chicken in a cage, put the cage in and it gets rid of the chicken or turns them into feed right away?
To 2:
Yeah, i meant donut 3, my bad.

I don't think the rancher needs an UV light and would agree that the botanists should have the only one by default. I am really not complaining when i have one, though.

I really think more space would be enough. That way you could customize the ranch more to your liking (like making a third pen).

To your point in 3:

Well, there's a plant mutation that grows fish. So you don't even need fishing for them, except for some specific ones.

I wanted to emphasize that i don't want to get rid of dolly or fishing. I would like to see the stuff just moved out of the rancher's backpack and instead put in a locker on the ranch.

They can be used for specific chicken and fluff, but i found myself too often emptying my backpack at roundstart because i needed the space.

Regarding the portals: i would like to see buildable fishing ponds. Like make them able to order at cargo. Would be neat to have someone build a fishing lounge somewhere with the stuff.

To 4:
That would be a neat idea. The thing that stops us from sending chickens down the disposal chute is them jumping out of it before being flushed. So something that spits out the cage would be great.

I just like the mass driver because its hilarious watching chickens being flung into space.