HoS Application - Arachnicles (Bones Mcruff)
Lightbulb 
Usual character name: Bones McRuff
BYOND username: Arachnicles
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Arachnicles 
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Goon 1 & 2 (Looking into potentially starting on roleplay servers!)

Reason for application: I have learned a lot about playing Security since I started on Goon, and I'd like to guide others in a similar fashion to how others guided me. It required a patience and kindness that I'd like to continue to perpetuate in the department, since sometimes it's pretty daunting to ask for help. I'm not going to claim to be perfect at it (I still make mistakes), but I definitely want to try teaching other security while continuing my learning. 

Security experience (300 word minimum): I've been playing security for a while now, but I didn't really get super into it until making Bones McRuff, pug detective/officer. With Bones I learned how to mediate most player disputes, which mostly boils down to separating the parties and asking them their sides of the story. Very rarely did I have to solve a dispute with a weapon as detective because their best tool is just their ability to talk to people. The detective role really got me to start leaning into roleplay aspects of the game, while still doing my duties. Definitely the most fun is dealing with forensics and taking part in a whodunnit. If detective taught me mediation, security officer taught me patience. It's not really hidden the security is thought of as the "fun police," and are often seen as abusers of their power throughout the community. I'd be lying to say if my first round of officer under another character of mine wasn't like that. I didn't understand the intricacies of playing security and how to ensure everyone has fun while still making sure the whole station doesn't explode. Thankfully, I had someone there to scorn me and keep me in line. I began asking question about how to handle situations, and how to handle certain antagonists. Genuinely, I have a lot of unofficial (or official, I don't really know) mentors: Tavish & Sian come to mind as they led by example. After those formative rounds, I like to think Bones McRuff has come into his own as a security officer and detective, mediating the best he can with his words, and reserving his weapon for extreme violence and antagonists gone wild. My experience with Sec has been extremely fun in dealing with major threats and conflict dispute, while also being a major help to learning the game. While I still have a lot to learn, I hope I can continue that path by helping others along the way!

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
Don't be so hasty, learn to handle everything slowly and with caution. Remember, everyone is trying to have a fun game just like you, so don't try to kill someone or ruin their game early into a round (yes even if they're antags). There is always a way to handle that problem. Whether it be making them into a cyborg, monitoring them, muzzling them, and so on. Almost every problem has another solution right around the corner that isn't violence. We're all trying to have fun. Another big piece of advice is to not be afraid to ask for help when you don't know what to do. Security is a pretty amorphous role that handles pretty much any conflict from arguments to apocalypses, so just ask for people to show you the ropes: we don't bite (including our canine officers)!

• What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
One of my favorite security moments was actually a blob round! Usually they aren't the most competitive as either blob rolls over the crew or crew over the blob in my experience, but in this one round in Oshan it was legitimately so fun. I went in and tried to fight to get another crew member out of a room that was being consumed, but it wasn't enough. I was consumed. What I didn't know is that you could still be cloned after being eaten, but I came back missing an arm and with melted parts of the body. It felt like such a cool terminator-esque moment where I returned to do battle with the blob once again! 
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer?
When playing on a full team, I try my best to defer to others as much as possible. I hate over-stepping my bounds and causing in-fighting within security, so I try to go with the flow: providing my input when I feel it's needed and stopping things if they get out of hand. When I'm the only officer, which is rarely the case, I try my best to keep an eye out for whatever is going on while outsourcing some help. I try to ask others for information and work with the AI and command staff as much as possible to help fill that gap of a team. At the end of the day, I'm no one-man army (by a long shot I'm not the most robust guy out there) so I try my best to recreate the team environment! 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

There once was a man from Goon Station
    Who was in a strange situation
    He worked down in cargo
    Trust in sec was low
    And now he rules a new nation

(A second one because I love limericks) 
    Security team is upper crust
    To handle every crime and bust
    But to their dismay
    In every which way
    They just aren't very robust 

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    Secret Service style protection of witnesses or command. Just to shuffle around an important person and have a "get down Mr. President' moment seems kinda fun! 

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): No bans!