Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combine Glasses & Mechanics efficiency upgrade
Would it be possible to make the optical Meson Scanner and Thermal scanner combinable, for the ultimate seeing-through-walls syndicate hunting tool? However, you could make it a challenge to accomplish, perhaps impossible to do without the mechanic's help or tools.

I was thinking that you would have to completely disassemble both items to get their components, then reassemble with a combination of parts from the Mechanic's vendor, an erebite or higher battery and a time consuming reassembling process so that you couldn't effectively mass produce them for the whole station unless you were really determined and had some co-operation from the miners/roboticists. You could also make it so that if you screw up the reassembling process, such as clicking too many times with a tool, you destroy a vital component and need a new set of Optics, or you add too many wires to the battery and it violently explodes, tearing off a limb and destroying everything. You could also make the Doc Glasses combinable with sunglasses through some simpler method so they aren't as easily flash stunned, but can still see member's health.

Also, a guy I was playing mechanic with had an idea for the vendor. It would be pretty awesome if the mechanic could somehow upgrade the vendor to allow frames to be inserted and automatically install the required components instead of doing it manually. I argued that it would make things a bit too easy, especially with mass production of terribly deadly items such as laser guns, so to offset the ease of it, perhaps there would be a time-delay for the vendor adding the components, much like a manufacture unit. And/or it have a harmful item detector, so it wouldn't auto add components to the frame If it detects it to be a weapon of some sort, until its emagged to bypass the safeties. The vendor would also be unable to dispense individual items once its auto adding them to a frame. It would make the mechanic's life a little less boring having to spend a substantial amount of time clicking on a sometimes laggy vending interface when mass producing things.
So, you want to allow the crew to make an item that allows them to see EVERYTHING? I don't think that is a good idea. It seems too OP to even be a secert item.
With the amount of hate the thermals get, I doubt this will get any support at all.
let people combine as many types of glasses as they want with a staplegun

like apply thermals to mesons, apply thermalmesons to prodocs, apply thermalmesonprodocs to sunglasses, staple them all together, congratulations on putting that engineering degree to good use

downside is that when someone hits you in the head it smashes your horrifying frankengoggles and now you're blind and need medbay to extract 50 glass shards from your head through the literal fountain of blood spraying from your eyes

further strikes short out your half-assed, staple filled electrical system and set your head on fire, and then begin driving the glass shards into your brain until your head resembles a plastic bag filled with chunky tomato soup and you're deeply regretting your decision to play god with eyewear

so now you manage to escape, and stumble blindly through the corridors. people avoid you as your desperate cries for help send shards of glass spraying from your mouth and your flaming skull makes you look like some kind of satanic embodiment of pain as you scream and shotgun broken glass at random passerby before finally collapsing in a smouldering yet bloody heap
Not to mention you look like an addict desperate for his swirlie fix in a station full of enablers more than happy to oblige while wearing them.
Klupoctuous Wrote:Would it be possible to make the optical Meson Scanner and Thermal scanner combinable, for the ultimate seeing-through-walls syndicate hunting tool? However, you could make it a challenge to accomplish, perhaps impossible to do without the mechanic's help or tools.
This is bad and you should feel bad.

No.
Alright, so it would be pretty OP. Perhaps there could be some terrible downside to wearing it, much like Dauntasa was saying, even though I'm pretty sure he's taking the piss. Maybe wearing them for too long sends you slowly blind, I dunno.

How about the second idea, with inserting the frames into the ElecTek vender? I do not see any major downsides to that idea.
What if this was some kind of medical thing, like xray contact lenses.

Things you have to do to keep your xray contact lenses safeish. The eye drugs keep the eye from getting infected and keep them clean.

A. Get a dropper and drop eye drugs in your eyes. The contact lenses will require constant maintenance because they need to be annoying to wear all the time.

B. Make sure the contacts don't fall out. They will fall out at random intervals because centcom only makes the cheapest items.

As much as contact lenses people actually want to wear would be funny, I can't see that ever getting implemented.
Hey there's this thing called Xray vision that takes less effort and time and works exactly the same way with no downsides.

Also the automatic mechanic machine thing has been suggested and rejected lots of times for the reason that it takes all the fun/work out of being a mechanic and just turns the job into a useless enabling tool for people wanting to mass produce laser guns.
make them so heavy that they slam your head down onto the floor and they are WAY too heavy to take off unsmigghh

Have fun hunting syndicates while crawling around as fast as you do with no arms or legs
I forgot about the genetics thing. Derp

Anyway I guess there's no point in adding Xray Goggles because Mason's are for engineering repair and thermals are for crime stopping.

If you don't know the map well enough to be able to catch a bad guy with thermals you should probably play more.
Weavel Wrote:can we not turn this into YET ANOTHER argument about thermals

Griff. Griff never changes. Syndicates waged war to gain butts and clown masks. Revolutionaries built an empire from their lust for Head IDs. Traitors shaped a battered AI into an omniscient superpower. But griff never changes.

In the 21st century, dumbass pubbies suggest over, and over, and over again that thermals should be even more powerful, despite the fact that

1) They are stupid.
2) It's been suggested a billion times in the past.
3) They are Nerds.
4) Every update Thermals have received have made them scarcer, and less useful.
5) They are stupid, and Nerds.

But Griff? Griff never changes.
no.

This would be way overpowered and generally unfun for the antagonists who are playing sneaky style.

Just go to genetics and hope they have the xray vision mutation instead.
Dauntasa Wrote:let people combine as many types of glasses as they want with a staplegun

like apply thermals to mesons, apply thermalmesons to prodocs, apply thermalmesonprodocs to sunglasses, staple them all together, congratulations on putting that engineering degree to good use

downside is that when someone hits you in the head it smashes your horrifying frankengoggles and now you're blind and need medbay to extract 50 glass shards from your head through the literal fountain of blood spraying from your eyes

further strikes short out your half-assed, staple filled electrical system and set your head on fire, and then begin driving the glass shards into your brain until your head resembles a plastic bag filled with chunky tomato soup and you're deeply regretting your decision to play god with eyewear

so now you manage to escape, and stumble blindly through the corridors. people avoid you as your desperate cries for help send shards of glass spraying from your mouth and your flaming skull makes you look like some kind of satanic embodiment of pain as you scream and shotgun broken glass at random passerby before finally collapsing in a smouldering yet bloody heap

i like this idea

there needs to be more fun gruesome things
There's a reason there are only two pairs of thermals on the station, one of which is sometimes never even touched. Like almost everyone else, i will say that this is a bad idea.