Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Give flockmind limited communication
An admin bestowed me a flockmind round and while friendly at first I was quickly swarmed by onlookers because "flockmind chapel" most of the people were friendly with me at first but it only took one angry chaplain to start attacking me to send both my drones and everyone else into a frenzy, so it being my first flock round I was quickly shit on. So maybe a way of communicating to people if you're friendly or not would really help new flockminds have time to figure out what all the abilities do. I was thinking some kind of ui that has pre made chats your drones can say like "back away" and such.

Also letting the flockdrones point at things with their little grippy thingies would be nice
I don't think encouraging "friendly flock" is a good idea, especially since afaik it can be the sole antagonist for a round. Sounds like a recipe for a round that effectively has no antagonist and breeding grounds for griefing in the Flock's defense. "That person attacked the flock, beat them up."
(08-18-2022, 05:48 PM)saccharineChampion Wrote: I don't think encouraging "friendly flock" is a good idea, especially since afaik it can be the sole antagonist for a round. Sounds like a recipe for a round that effectively has no antagonist and breeding grounds for griefing in the Flock's defense. "That person attacked the flock, beat them up."

You make a good point actually, my main issue was I had no time to actually learn anything, adding an interactive tutorial like blob has or a safe space to learn before you deploy would help a lot
(08-18-2022, 05:48 PM)saccharineChampion Wrote: I don't think encouraging "friendly flock" is a good idea, especially since afaik it can be the sole antagonist for a round. Sounds like a recipe for a round that effectively has no antagonist and breeding grounds for griefing in the Flock's defense. "That person attacked the flock, beat them up."

On main I couldn't agree more with this statement. On RP however I couldn't disagree more. Some of the best rounds I have seen have come from non standard approaches to playing the "bad guy", and sometimes it leads to a boring round. Conversely so do rounds where the antags are all caught and dealt with in the first 20 minutes. 

As for the issue of flock mind communication, there are a couple avenues that could be worth exploring. Possibly PDA messages or maybe mimes understand them inherently because they too are beings with an alien mindset.
(08-18-2022, 06:09 PM)DioChasek Wrote:

On main I couldn't agree more with this statement. On RP however I couldn't disagree more. Some of the best rounds I have seen have come from non standard approaches to playing the "bad guy", and sometimes it leads to a boring round. Conversely so do rounds where the antags are all caught and dealt with in the first 20 minutes. 

As for the issue of flock mind communication, there are a couple avenues that could be worth exploring. Possibly PDA messages or maybe mimes understand them inherently because they too are beings with an alien mindset.

I once did a flock cult and the admin made people flock drones then made me a flock mind. I was able to communicate to say I was friendly and how we will lead all, the drones could talk to players too, was fun.

Friendly flockminds sounds like a friendly kudzu people problem as well. While it's now admeme and there for RESPECTED. 
Kudzu on the other hand has another antag putting them down and people purposely dieing to be part of kudzu.

Flockminds might have the same problem... wich is why it's still admeme only.
Flockmind has a Narrowbeam Transmission ability that lets you send messages to people wearing headsets.

Flockdrones can point, and do other stuff like flip, if you want to do that sort of stuff

Also, Flockmind is kind of supposed to be closer to regular antags, at least initially, where they are friendly/neutral until attacked, but with blob level of danger. If anything in a Flock is attacked by someone, they are automatically marked as an enemy of the Flock. You can still unmark them using the Designate Enemy ability. Kind of understandable that you will get swarmed considering the danger of Flock, but there is still a degree of friendliness. Can technically build the relay without ever harming someone.

Flockmind can appear in mixed modes and as random event antag spawns in servers 1 and 2.

Wiki was updated if you want to read about recent stuff