Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Job titles as a part of character names
I was thinking it would be a nice thing to be able to have job titles inserted in front of character names, IE the Captain could be named "Captain John Smith" or a secoff could be "Officer James Doe" or something. Titles could be customized with the ID if wanted/needed. I think this would add a lot of flavor to the game. With western mode HoS could be titled "Sherrif Jim Dude" and secoffs could be called deputies.
would it be linked to the ID or the appearance, you think? it might make disguises harder, but it's not a bad idea. it could give people the opportunity to see/learn other characters' names versus yelling at "that secoff over there" or "mechanic".

thinking about all the names and it seems to work out well for all of them; some of the longer ones like HoP and HoS when expanded out can sound a little stuffy. but that's not necessarily bad and can reinforce a certain flavor of command-level formality.
it would lead to funny moments for people who have job titles in there normal name.
can't wait for Doctor Doctor Donk Pockets.
I think things that lengthen the character name in chat leads to chat being too verbose to parse reasonably. So while displaying job title in there might offer some extra clarity that could be useful in some situations, the fact that it outputs more text into the window for every message makes it tough.

I could see maybe adding something like the radio headset department icons, but I'm not sure, that sort of thing in front all "say" messages seems like a lot.

If either is something added to every message and attached the the ID of the speaker, it would make picking out imposters even easier in some cases and I'm not sure that's a good thing. And if a player didn't have an ID then it would sorta make every chat output with a player name like broadcasting that they don't have one. I think having department uniforms is and should be, the most obvious thing that broadcasts to those around you what your job is.

I'm thinking, if this is something people really want, the best place for it might be the maptext on alt+mouseover of mobs. But again, that adds more text and in a more cumbersome place too so maybe not. And you can already find it easily enough with an extra click there so I'm not sure that that's super useful.
I'd like for it to be connected to the ID, perhaps the text chat bit could be customizable?
(08-18-2022, 01:04 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I think things that lengthen the character name in chat leads to chat being too verbose to parse reasonably. So while displaying job title in there might offer some extra clarity that could be useful in some situations, the fact that it outputs more text into the window for every message makes it tough.

Idea.

Text isn't affected, but examining them adds on important titles.  

Example:
This is Captain Bob Bobberson
*Inventory Stats*

Bob Bobberson exclaimed: You can't just say "Executing the clown is morally wrong"!  I'm the captain damn it!

I also agree that it should be tied to ID.
not really a fan of this simply because its redundant and kind of annoying to have extra stuff added to your name thats not really in your control (example: the reagent that adds captain to your name. its niche and should stay niche)

people who want to have a title in their name can just put it in their name if they really want it. doctor donk pockets already exists, nothing stopping you from doing the same

your id examine does enough to show off your job
"I didn't take 12 years of medical school to be called Mr. Donk Pockets"
doesnt really fit goons entire deal if its something thats just stuck on to a persons name for the entire time they have the ID

its more preferable to have it be on the initial examine only
ex. This is Captain Nile Shihol.
Nile Shihol is wearing (image) a staff assistant's jumpsuit