Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Oh a Door! SIKE FAKE DOOR CRUSHER THING
Brick 
THE    DOOR-ALTIM 3001  (Name change likely)
(Tradmarked)

Cheap Traitor Version:

A cheap 1-3 cost (Maybe more depending on damage/other factors) Traitor Item. It is a small, handheld E.M.A.G. looking/acting item, expect for doors. It has various settings, and upon being used on a door, it inflicts said setting(s). It can stack multiple settings on one door, with some limits.

Settings;
Lock  Bolts/Locks the door. Displays red lights if possible.
Quiet-Lock  Bolts/Locks the door. Looks like a normal, openable door.
Fake-Close  Looks closed, is not. Closes after a click if access is sufficient.
Fake-Open  Looks open, is not. Opens after a click/touch if access is sufficient.
Shock  Shocks upon click/touch without protection. (Lasts 5 minutes)
Shock- No Access  Shock, but only shocks people with insufficient access to the door.
Shock- Access  Shock, but only shocks people with sufficient access to the door.
Shock- NA  Shock, but only shocks people with no ID.
Crush  Closes the door if anybody walks betwixt it. Dealing 20~ Brute damage spread amongst all body parts, and stuns for 1-10~ seconds, and 10~ Burn damage and 3 seconds of shock if a shock setting would activate upon clicking the door. If you get through the door fast enough, you can avoid the crush. Normal humans, and especially slowed humans will get caught, even when sprinting. Get some drugs, or rocket boots to get through, or oil your wheels if you are a borg.

(All settings can be changed to NOT affect the owner, but act as normal.)

The item has various limits. You can not stack shocks, most settings can be turned off via the access panel, Stacking crushes only adds a crush use to the door, a crush is a one time thing (unless more are added.) It is also limited in some fashion. The item starts with 20~ charges, each settings applied to the door costing its own specific amount of charges. However the item can be recharged with various, yet not particularly easy ways.

Crewmate Home-Made Version:

Although uncraftable, crewmates can, after ALOT of fenangling to a door with certain rarish tools, from various apartments, apply some 'settings' to a door. It takes a while, and the settings are weaker/slower/unreliable.

Space/Adventure Zone Version:

Clown Traders/Syndicate Traitors will sell you this item for around 2-10k~ IF YOU ARE A TRAITOR.

It can be found in the debris field, and mining field, in weaker versions, and in HARD to reach/find/get through spots.

In the Adventure zone an exact copy of the traitor version can be found in medium-hard areas. And possibly some weaker versions in easy-medium areas.

Other:

Maybe it can be used in other areas, like making shutters crush, not just doors. Or maybe a robot with a claw on it, can be hacked to crush people with the claw, there is a lot of possible, untapped ideas.

Maybe the name would be the DOOR _____ (Number). I like the Doorackinator 1999. And the Drushy 2.0.

This doesn't have to be the final product, it can, and will be changed if implenented. I don't mind.

Discussing in the comments is allowed. Feel free to shit all over this idea, or praise it. Maybe a coder/admin will see this??? Maybe they can commmeennntt???? MAYBE ADD IT TO THE GAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEE?????????

(Also maybe Clown Only?)

Signing off:
Byond: TacticalBananaE
Discord:TacticalBanana
Ingame: "Ezra Elijah Elliot" (Mainly) Past: "Jordan Johnny Jim"

Peace.

My favorite, and likely the most popular setting is definitely an open looking door, you can run through, but others can't. But still... Getting Chased? CRUNCH!!! Wanna immobilize a target? ZAP CRUNCH!!! Wanna slip people into it? Throw people into it? Place it randomly and let chaos ensue? Drop the whole thing for some random Staffie to pick up? Give it to the clown? Make a maze of zappy crunches, each door looking open, to the point of you seeing the exit through a door, but walking through is just crunch, and the only door that works at the exit, is a closed looking door, as a subtle fuck you? Put it on the exit of the disposals crusher to entrap people and crush them alive? CCCRRRUUUNNNCCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!
I do worry that the item would be far, far too complicated.
Eighteen settings on one item? Yikes!

And will probably mostly be seen as something having bugged out in-game.

I want MOAR door crushes. Because they are rare, have an amazing sound effect, and because... well... crushing people in doors is fun!

I don't see how we need a homemade version. You an already cut the safety wire and get door crushes.

But I do like the idea of automatic door crushes, where it closes when someone crosses it, as a clown/staffie item.
Just maybe with less bloat! Just be like, auto-door crush. Carrying it makes it not happen to you.

Though it's actually a surprisingly powerful item, even if it just does that. Because it basically means you can ALWAYS get away from anyone. Because they will get doorcrushed and stunned so long as you can make it to any door. You could just double back and pick up a secoffs weapon, and murder them, basically for free.

Actually, maybe it IS rather too powerful to be a thing.  surprised fat and sassy space-bee
The other thing that I foresee happening during initial implementation is a lot of kill switching and ahelping ai players who are not the ones electrifying and bolting doors while on basic laws. After a month or so of the item existing those situations would likely level off but it would likely leave a very sour taste in witch hunted ai players mouths.
DioChasek———I think upon closer inspection, the afflicted doors would be painfully obviously not the A.I.’s doing. Like the crush setting saying CRUNCH after getting a target, and the shock like laughing at people who get shocked, and bolted doors saying puns like “No access for you asses!” And if you open the access panel something is clearly changed.

Love———There is nine settings

Bolt
Quiet Bolt
Fake Open
Fake Close
Shock
Shock Access
Shock No Access
Shock NA
Crush

But that’s my bad for making a formatting mistake.

Also I think it would make noises, like crush saying Crunch after getting a target, and opening the access panel shows fishy stuff going on.

I also think that you’re right, at first the crunch was going to be it, it’s just too cool, but adding more, and having it removed can’t hurt. Ideas are always good.

I agree that the homemade version is kind of a stretch too.

I agree that the Crush is worthy of its own item, and if possible I might make a separate thread for something similar, but based on crunches.

I was thinking that Secoffs get nerfed, so they are near immune. It crunches them, but helmets and body armor block most damage, severely shorten stuns, keep you standing up items in hand, and if the enemy comes back, they can’t do much because the door closed on you is keeping you standing upright, so knocking an item out of your hand is really it, or getting a shot or 2 off. Then again the sec officer is still standing so they can still fight back with relative ease while entrapped.

I think after severe nerfs, making sure it doesn’t get confused for a rogue AI, and dumbing it down a lot, it will be the ideal product not only I, but WE are looking for.
Insted of a fake door, why not have a tool that can override door access and crush people.
Normally you can install a signaler and do it that way, but why not just a tool that can have a door open and close immidently on someone insted?

It is expended when used on that door, but it will start crushing people if they pass through it.
Kotlol------ That's what it is, a tool with settings, and when you click a door, those settings are applied to the door. Well that was the first idea at least.
Like Love stated it is technically 18 settings since you have 9 that are indiscriminate on targets and then the same 9 again except they don’t affect you. I think a more modest tool that just does one function would be a lot more well received.
DioChasek------ You're right, I am thinking of abandoning the complicated stuff, and making a new thread with just the crushing function.
For what it is worth though, I love the ideas you have presented. It’s a fresh way to sabotage doors that is distinct from the emag, and simpler to use than standard door hacking and wire cutting.

Side note is should emagged doors still trigger the crunch? What happens when a door is crunched before being emagged? Tc cost in comparison to the emag would also be lower imo since it is far more specialized so do they have combo synergy or none. Just a little food for thought.
DioChasek------ Thanks, and yeah I think its a specialized Emag. Instead of costing like 7, (as per the Emag) it should/will probably cost 1-3, but what if you spent all your TC on them? 5 one crush doors, or a door with 5 crushes, or 5 infinite crush doors, whichever it is is still is a lot of crushes. Unless you trap a person, and the only way out is going through 5 subsequent crush doors, or something similarly niche, I think its pretty balanced, But I think 1-6 is going to be the range, as to avoid various OP greifing.
My concept with it is.. emags are reusable.
This thing is slapping it on a door and it's broken and will crush anyone (including the user) if they pass through it.
Forcing an investigation and people going around it... or fixing it right away to access it.
It can setup major injuries or as I see it as a fun gimmick.

"insurance fraud doctor"
Rigs the doors so the sick go through the door, get more sick, then have to go back for surgery or more treatment when they try to leave.

I do say keep it on infinite. It's a consumable so infinite crushes till it's fixed. OR... it's like an emag with infinite uses but will crush only ONCE... but I think that style will be used by escape artists to injury sec and get away easily so I prefer the consumable with infinite crushes till a mechanic fixes it.
Also makes the mechanic do more fixing.
Yeah. The idea that it's a device you slap on a door, and it's used up, seems like it would be a good balance to the get-out-of-jail-free card aspect of basically ensuring you can't be caught in a chase. Or maybe you get a few of them in a box.

I do think that messing with doors is a design space worth exploring. Since they're ubiquitous, and traitors have really only one special thing they can do with them, with the EMAG, to permanently open them, or permanently keep them bolted. The auto-crush is just a deceptively powerful ability.

A door controller of some kind is fine, too. Something that lets you auto-cut/pulse wires without having to actually do it, without the auto-crush function. Just a UI that lets you toggle electricity/bolts/ID/AI control/Safety, like you can with the proper tools. That I could see as a cheap tool with an interface. Maybe more expensive than the syndie omnitool.
Yeah no I think my base idea, would work better as 1-3 separate items each a chunk of the first idea. Ältere Menschen haben sich auch noch mal in den nächsten Tagen und, amiright?
Thats a lot of modes but setting up trap doors that crush and stun everyone but you would be useful for picking off sec