Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Client side Profanity Filter
Does anyone here have the skills, or the steps I should take to make a client side profanity filter? Just something to take words I don't like, mainly all types of swearing (F**k, S**t, Etc.) and blur them out with asterisks. Would be much appreciated!

P.S: Rune chat support would be nice. Thank you!
If you wanna try and tackle the Scunthorpe dilemma by all means go ahead and try.
Ill have a look at it once I got time (no guarantees that its actually done) but how much censoring do you think would be appropriate?

For example (insult) could turn into

i****t
**** *** (random length and spaces for complete obfuscation)

each one obviously more aggressive and including less information then the one beforehand.

Should this be chooseable? A setting by default? A case by case setting? Should names be affected? Should there be a list of banned words or are they freely choosable?
I believe this can be achieved with a simple regex like this /c+*+*+t+|s+*+*+t+/gi checks letters one by one and if one letter is used multiple times it gets replaced in same way. vuglarLanguage.replace(regex, "*****") puts 5 asterisk for any bad stuff. (Asterisks up there are for censoring and they are letters, they are not match zero or more operator)
I am fine with client side profanity filters. It's an option someone needs.

My gripe with profanity filters is the fact people try to go around it...
Then those words get blocked..
Then the next batch and.. suddenly Half the text becomes *s I been **ying...
Yes I had filters like that and it disrupted chat so much...
Especially the word Assassin became notirouisly *******in

But hey.. turning it on and off for yourself? GO FOR IT!
(08-14-2022, 03:31 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I am fine with client side profanity filters. It's an option someone needs.

I've seen some bad filters in my day, I dont think any can top Kingisle's filter for sheer absurdity
(08-14-2022, 11:32 AM)BadShot Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 03:31 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I am fine with client side profanity filters. It's an option someone needs.

I've seen some bad filters in my day, I dont think any can top Kingisle's filter for sheer absurdity

I had some forced filters back in my day and OH MY LORD they contained swears for over 20 languages and variants to go around the filter.
Was really fun when you had to say the name of a skill but couldn't since FILTERS.
Oh and this wasn't one of those filters that were like: ***** but "HEY YOU CAN"T SAY THAT! TRY AGAIN!"
Forgot wich game it was... but it was a MMO I played for a week and backed out.

So while I am fine with a filter, I am giving the warning of: "Don't go too ham on it for filter bypasses and other languages"
We don't want people to not understand some words in the game due to the filter being too aggresive.
In my experience profanity filters are more trouble than they are worth. At best you can expect it to catch exact phrases only without someone working around it through acronymal usage of periods or spaces, and at worst you get overtime mode which catches words that are not supposed to be censored but are because they either have the targeted word in them or a letter string that starts a problematic word (see Scunthorpe and night respectively).

Ultimately the best thing I can advise is unfortunately also the most callous as well I would suggest maybe just dealing with people saying things that you may not particularly enjoy reading. Of course ahelp the bigoted things, there is a huge difference between casual swearing and hate speech.
this is a game where you can remove someone's intestines with a broken glass and the contents of an office supply closet and then feed them to them

i think profanity is the least of your worries
As much as I generally want people to feel welcome and comfortable...

SS-13 is assuredly not child-friendly. Even Goon, which strives to be far less alienating than most (thankfully). And people being awful is handled by bans and not chat filters.
But there's a reason there's a minimum age.

Casual swearing is just something you have to learn to deal with in reality, even if you don't like it. And if mild naughty words are beyond the pale, SS-13 in general is probably not ever going to be safe for you.

You can blow someone's ass off with a grenade and wear their severed butt cheeks as a hat, as a trophy of your crushing victory. Someone saying 'ass' kinda feels like the least of all problems. Foul-mouthed advertisements and slugs abound. You can very unclassily throw pitchers of urine at people. The halls are filled with vomit. You will get farted on by mice.

Goon is very r00d.

And as Mouse pointed out, the things you can do with surgery are a warcrime simulator.

It does no harm to anything if someone makes it. We already have text searching and highlighting functionality in the chat. So maybe something could hook into that. Maybe have an option to turn the highlight into redacted-blocks-of-colour. It just feels like it's an issue local coders, who almost by definition have been around Goon for a while and accepted the silly rudeness of fartgame, probably won't be lining up to solve.

But you never know, I suppose!
Oh no trust me I get it, I know exactly how rude it is, making weed, causing bar fights, getting drunk, dismembering people, it's the fact that I just don't want the swearing to sneak it's way into my vocabulary, trust me, I'm not going to force my morals on others. I'm well on my way to having coded a profanity filter in, and it will be totally optional, thanks for the feedback though!
people don't really try to get around optional profanity filters if they're off by default, since most people who dont care about them don't even look for the option. i think an opt-in basic swear filter would work fine in the vast majority of cases.
Go gently caress yourself
(08-20-2022, 10:23 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Go gently caress yourself

way better solution than a regular-rear end filter imo
People have different attitudes towards things that I don't have and want something that I'm not effected by in any way??? How dare they