HoS Application-Beau Cox
Usual character name:Beau Cox, Paris Cox

BYOND username:0rwell
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Orwell
Recommended by (if applicable):Several HoSs and Secoffs, though I don't have names
Goon servers you play:3,4

Reason for application: I think that a good HoS really helps security turn from an uncoordinated annoyance into a genuine threat. Needless to say, the role of HoS is vital to a lot of rounds, and I think that I could really do well in the Beret of Pride™.

Security experience: To put it simply, I love this game, and I love being a secoff. It's taught me tons about the game and has put me in some of the best in game RP scenarios I've had to date, not to mention simply how fun it is to play security. To better understand my experience as a SecOff, i've assembled a list of the things that being a secoff has taught me.

USEFULNESS: Being a good HoS is hard, and one very important thing that you need is to be able to effectively play the game. Luckily being an officer has taught me TONS of important info about working on the station, whether that be how to pull someone out of crit, how to quickly stabilize an angry engine, or how to deal with the various antagonists the station has to offer. Overall, being a secoff has taught me how to be practically useful on the field, and what to look for when catching crooks.

FAIRNESS: One of the most important traits about being a secoff is being FAIR to everyone that you apprehend. It is absolutely VITAL to remember that behind every do-badder that you arrest, there's a real person who's trying to enjoy the game, just like you are. Because of this, being fair with your power is one of the most essential things that sec duty has taught me, and it's important to the role of HoS as well.

TRUSTWORTHYNESS: Simply put, cheating sucks. While this game dosn't suffer from a hacking problem or anything like that, it's still extremely easy to ruin a game, whether that be through killing people and destroying things when you aren't an antag, refusing a mindhack, or just being a jerk. Because of this, one of the most important skills that playing not just ss13 games as a whole has taught me is that you need to be trustworthy.
Be trustworthy to the admins, to your friends, and even to your enemies, because the last thing you want is to be the person who ruined someone else's play session.

KINDNESS: Arguably the most important one on here, and also probably the simplest one. Being nice in games is essential to having fun for anyone playing. Even if your character hates someone in-game, it's important to remember that you need to show anyone you interact with basic courtesy. There are a lot of people on the internet, and there are inevitably going to be arguments and disagreements. It's important to remember that it's just a game, and in the end we're all just here to have fun.
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    The game is ALWAYS more fun when you are nice to the people you arrest. Most of the time they'll be able to get out if they want to, so it's usually best to be calm and kind to most of the people you subdue. It leads to better RP, better gameplay, and will overall end with both people liking each other more.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? 
    I was a traitor, and I got the det angry to the point that he gave up his badge to kill me, and spent the entire round chasing me down to kill me. It was INTENSE, but fun!
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    Remove or nerf beepskeys. They are honestly the worst.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    More just a gimmick in general, but I like playing crazy people. Just askin for crazy stuff, talking crazy, all that fun stuff.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None
soft -0.5. I haven't really noticed you demonstrating many of the qualities I think make for a good HoS (teamwork, communication, conflict management skills, and supportiveness) ingame, and the state of your application leaves me a bit concerned as to whether or not you'd use the power of the position responsibly. I think it may benefit you to take a step back and analyze the various dynamics at play that make a sec team a team and potentially reapply during a later cycle
From what I've seen and observed there's a distinct lack of communication on security coms. I would highly suggest improving on regularly using the sec coms. Be it for minor things like reporting tickets, what you're doing, to making arrests and status of criminals - all of this is to keep the rest of security informed and organized on what's happening.

That being said, once you're comfortable with using sec coms regularly, you can start showing the leadership side of yourself by taking more of an initiative. Suggest who is available to look into a crime report, suggest brig timings, how to approach or handle crimers, etc.
(08-13-2022, 10:22 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: soft -0.5. I haven't really noticed you demonstrating many of the qualities I think make for a good HoS (teamwork, communication, conflict management skills, and supportiveness) ingame, and the state of your application leaves me a bit concerned as to whether or not you'd use the power of the position responsibly. I think it may benefit you to take a step back and analyze the various dynamics at play that make a sec team a team and potentially reapply during a later cycle

Can you give me an example of what I should be working on improving?
I think you would do really well as HoS. You did a great job teaching my friends and I how to play, and you're generally a chill and thoughtful player. I can tell you love the game and want the community to thrive, and you try to make sure everyone enjoys the round, which is SO important. You also seem open to feedback which is always great! Big recommendation from me, I wish you luck on your application!
(08-13-2022, 07:02 PM)Orwell Wrote: Usual character name:Beau Cox, Paris Cox
beau is a good officer, they show good (emotion supporting teamwork) and are overall just pretty cool. +1
BYOND username:0rwell
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Orwell
Recommended by (if applicable):Several HoSs and Secoffs, though I don't have names
Goon servers you play:3,4

Reason for application: I think that a good HoS really helps security turn from an uncoordinated annoyance into a genuine threat. Needless to say, the role of HoS is vital to a lot of rounds, and I think that I could really do well in the Beret of Pride™.

Security experience: To put it simply, I love this game, and I love being a secoff. It's taught me tons about the game and has put me in some of the best in game RP scenarios I've had to date, not to mention simply how fun it is to play security. To better understand my experience as a SecOff, i've assembled a list of the things that being a secoff has taught me.

USEFULNESS: Being a good HoS is hard, and one very important thing that you need is to be able to effectively play the game. Luckily being an officer has taught me TONS of important info about working on the station, whether that be how to pull someone out of crit, how to quickly stabilize an angry engine, or how to deal with the various antagonists the station has to offer. Overall, being a secoff has taught me how to be practically useful on the field, and what to look for when catching crooks.

FAIRNESS: One of the most important traits about being a secoff is being FAIR to everyone that you apprehend. It is absolutely VITAL to remember that behind every do-badder that you arrest, there's a real person who's trying to enjoy the game, just like you are. Because of this, being fair with your power is one of the most essential things that sec duty has taught me, and it's important to the role of HoS as well.

TRUSTWORTHYNESS: Simply put, cheating sucks. While this game dosn't suffer from a hacking problem or anything like that, it's still extremely easy to ruin a game, whether that be through killing people and destroying things when you aren't an antag, refusing a mindhack, or just being a jerk. Because of this, one of the most important skills that playing not just ss13 games as a whole has taught me is that you need to be trustworthy.
Be trustworthy to the admins, to your friends, and even to your enemies, because the last thing you want is to be the person who ruined someone else's play session.

KINDNESS: Arguably the most important one on here, and also probably the simplest one. Being nice in games is essential to having fun for anyone playing. Even if your character hates someone in-game, it's important to remember that you need to show anyone you interact with basic courtesy. There are a lot of people on the internet, and there are inevitably going to be arguments and disagreements. It's important to remember that it's just a game, and in the end we're all just here to have fun.
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    The game is ALWAYS more fun when you are nice to the people you arrest. Most of the time they'll be able to get out if they want to, so it's usually best to be calm and kind to most of the people you subdue. It leads to better RP, better gameplay, and will overall end with both people liking each other more.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? 
    I was a traitor, and I got the det angry to the point that he gave up his badge to kill me, and spent the entire round chasing me down to kill me. It was INTENSE, but fun!
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    Remove or nerf beepskeys. They are honestly the worst.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    More just a gimmick in general, but I like playing crazy people. Just askin for crazy stuff, talking crazy, all that fun stuff.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None
beau is a good officer, they show good leadership and are really good at teaching new players. Overall they are just pretty cool.
I wasn't really sure if I was going to comment on your application but you made a few comments in OOC chat that made me change my mind. You were going on about wondering when HoS applications will be approved, because you want to be HoS, but then followed it up with asking how many people from the community you need to give you +1's to give approved. So after seeing that, I did come and read your application. At the end of the day, the admins are the ones who decide who get on the whitelist and who do not.

I play HoS/NTSC fairly often on RP, I do see you on security, as a Captain or just in command in general. I have not seen you show any kind of qualities that would lead me to believe you would be good for HoS. Often times you are quiet, don't communicate but especially I haven't ever seen you try and step up and demonstrate leadership skills. I know I have done a few hectic rounds with you as a SeCoff or detective where the opportunity to step up and help out presented itself but you never took that chance. I don't know if you want HoS for all the wrong reasons, but as of right now, I do not think you would be a good HoS. But that doesn't mean you won't ever be a HoS either, take the time to really evaluate your application, the reasons why you want HoS and what feedback people have provided you with.

So for now, -1. But don't let it discourage you. Take that chance, start stepping up and offering leadership, I promise you that a HoS will give you that chance to do it.

Just remembered, I forgot to comment this as well.

You say that you were recommended by several HoS' and SecOffs but have no names? Doesn't seem right.
(09-02-2022, 01:53 AM)Shiiba Wrote:

You say that you were recommended by several HoS' and SecOffs but have no names? Doesn't seem right.

I have been recommended by Scarlett Hynes, Mavis Moovenhimer, Caroline Soupes, and Naveen Daemon, though theirs was offhand.
Witnessed a shift where you had ran to customs to give yourself all-access from the Cap's spare that was stolen and conficated, got a laser eye implant, and robot treads all in one round - all without any discussion on security coms. Powergaming behavior is something I do not want to see in a HoS.

And several people reported strange behavior at the mindhack cloner and about the Captain, who was mindhacked. Someone even PDA'd security. There was not much follow up or investigation for either of them until long after into the shift where they were openly using their e-gun on people. Even after they were detained, there was no attempt at removing the mindhack, since it was hardly communicated among security. Again, I urge you to be more aware of what's going on and properly communicate with your team.

As it stands, I am not too confidant in terms of this current cycle. Take into consideration of what's been said. Keep improving, and you'll be able to wear the beret if you put your mind to it.
I honestly haven't seen you a lot until a few months ago, as a player on RP you improved a lot, as a security member too, but I think it's too early for you to become an HoS. I suggest reading Accept HoS applications on the forum, specially of RP players, the replies too. Continue playing an officer, improving, taking tips, watching how HoSs do what they do, and you'll naturally be like an HoS is expected to be.
(09-02-2022, 04:31 AM)Orwell Wrote:

I have been recommended by Scarlett Hynes, Mavis Moovenhimer, Caroline Soupes, and Naveen Daemon, though theirs was offhand.

To clarify, do you only mean the last one is off-hand? Or are all of these assumed recommendations? For it to actually be a recommendation you kind of have to.... confirm it is one. I'm not leaving any feedback since I don't know you but I feel like that detail is important.
(09-11-2022, 06:29 PM)Drewmajor11 Wrote:
(09-02-2022, 04:31 AM)Orwell Wrote:

To clarify, do you only mean the last one is off-hand? Or are all of these assumed recommendations? For it to actually be a recommendation you kind of have to.... confirm it is one. I'm not leaving any feedback since I don't know you but I feel like that detail is important.
Good question. I have been recommended at one point by all of the people above, but only Naveen's was offhand. However, some of them were a while ago, and i'd totally get it if some of them went back on what they said, given how long ago some of them said it.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to mixed community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!