Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Vampiric Disguise
With the recent debate of vampires getting their action bar removed so no one can see them drinking in the dark.
I came up with the idea of an abillity for the Vampire to "hide their idenity" when attacking a victim.

A small temporarely disguise that if the vampire is spotted, they will look like a "VAMPIRE" but not "Dr. Acula, Medical Director"

Before you say like: "Sounds like a changeling"
This is not the shapeshifting changeling eating everyone.
This is litterly a vampiric mask to be unrecongisable.

As Frank said in the other suggestion.
He likes the idea of a vampire being disguised for a short time, then drinking their victim shortly but having to do this fast before their disguise wears off and not killing them so the victim survives and can spread the paranoia of a vampire.
Since now the victim just seen "VAMPIRE" and not "been attacked by Dr. Acula" it means the vampire's idenity is hidden and a hunt can assume.

So how does it work?

I think the cost should be like 25-15 Blood units to activate the disguise, but they have barely 1-2 minutes to attack their victim, hypnotize em and suck their blood before running off. Meaning it's a RISK/REWARD SYSTEM. If you get spotted and your victim runs... You lose blood but.. you are safe to know, no one knows who you are.

This opposite as approaching someone as a friendly face, then trying to kill them, then a curious staff assistant idenitifes you. You can also use it when you start draining someone but then you have to kill your victim to make sure they won't rat you out. Thus adding to the suspense of being a vampire.

"Do you use your disguise early and get little blood, but knowing no one will recongise you?"
"Do you use it when your victim is down and if you get disturbed during your drink, you kill your victim, but atleast the person finding you doesn't know who you are?"
"Do you not use it at all to save blood units?"

And before you ask.. yes.. you can use this disguise and turn into a bat too to fly over players to get some blood too. You can even use it to turn into a bat and break into somewhere fast... the whole point is.. "YOU SHOW THERE IS A VAMPIRE, BUT NO ONE KNOWS ITS YOU"

Anyhow.. debate away how to make it work. I am bad at that stuff.
I don’t know if I’m misinterpreting this but what’s the difference between this and just wearing a gas mask with your ID hidden?
(08-12-2022, 08:45 AM)Jakson Wrote: I don’t know if I’m misinterpreting this but what’s the difference between this and just wearing a gas mask with your ID hidden?

Simple, convience and hiding your form.
Normally you would have to wear certain clothes, a mask, hide your ID and such to do your thing.

A mask + no id still reveals:
-Your jumpsuit: Your department
-With no hat: Your hair or race
-if you talk people might recongise your voice.

So you have alot of small overlaps that will give away your person.
Where as a "generic vampire looking creature with the name "VAMPIRE" even when talking"
means your ID is hidden, means your outfit is hidden, means no need for a mask.

So essentially put, you have a disguise without having to play Inventory shuffle with the disguise.
And even if you would talk.. it would come up as "VAMPIRE"
I have seen the "Recongisition mechanic" have Unknowns become known since some how the game tells who they are when they talk?
Or I know who an unknown is cause I saw them putting on the clothes...

So this disguise removes that chance completely....You are disgusied as "generic vampire"
Thus you give away there is a VAMPIRE ON BOARD by wearing your disguise, but your idenity is fully concealed without having to disguise your voice, mask, hide ID and such.

But it doesn't remove the whole disguising yourself aspect due to it being timed. You can still do it and stay unrecongisable for a long while.
I admit, what I like most about the suggestion is that it makes nonlethal vampire attacks far more possible, on RP.

And hiding your identity can be incredibly painful. There are just SO MANY identifiable items. Your ID. Your PDA. You're wearing black gloves? Narrows you down to, like, four professions. Janitor gloves or galoshes? Science backpack? Medical scrubs. You'll get found out. Did you want to talk? You can't, without chugging acid, nerd.

Hope you don't want to carry anything in your backpack, because you need an entire armoire to hold all your identifiable stuff.

I may be having flashbacks of contemplating the sheer amount of work trying to get a limb as a stealthy spy-thief was. And still couldn't because I ultimate had to hit them with a PDA with my name on it.

So, yes, I'm for it.
Though I do think there should probably be some pretty heft restrictions on it, to ensure it's something used when closing in to hunt, not as a generic stealth mechanic for everyday use, which would step on the toes of changelings (and staffies, who hate IDs and staple on their gas mask).

Stuns, flashes and holy water should maybe instantly break it. So it's not durable when you 'get caught'. And can't survive through heavy offensive powers like frost bats or screeching.

Basically to try to limit it to making victims be unable to positively identify their attacker.

Would be curious to hear from Sec officers on if it might make catching vampires impossible or a fresh hell.
(08-15-2022, 11:31 PM)Love Wrote: I admit, what I like most about the suggestion is that it makes nonlethal vampire attacks far more possible, on RP.

And hiding your identity can be incredibly painful. There are just SO MANY identifiable items. Your ID. Your PDA. You're wearing black gloves? Narrows you down to, like, four professions. Janitor gloves or galoshes? Science backpack? Medical scrubs. You'll get found out. Did you want to talk? You can't, without chugging acid, nerd.

Hope you don't want to carry anything in your backpack, because you need an entire armoire to hold all your identifiable stuff.

I may be having flashbacks of contemplating the sheer amount of work trying to get a limb as a stealthy spy-thief was. And still couldn't because I ultimate had to hit them with a PDA with my name on it.

So, yes, I'm for it.
Though I do think there should probably be some pretty heft restrictions on it, to ensure it's something used when closing in to hunt, not as a generic stealth mechanic for everyday use, which would step on the toes of changelings (and staffies, who hate IDs and staple on their gas mask).

Stuns, flashes and holy water should maybe instantly break it. So it's not durable when you 'get caught'. And can't survive through heavy offensive powers like frost bats or screeching.

Basically to try to limit it to making victims be unable to positively identify their attacker.

Would be curious to hear from Sec officers on if it might make catching vampires impossible or a fresh hell.

You get it!(I also think Spy/thief needs an equivalant due to the PDA hitting.)

I have no problem with it being generic stealth either as it's a temporarely stealth, buuuttt... I do agree you aren't suppose to "STEALTH ON AND RAMPAGE"
So I will say: "No heavy offensive power is indeed a good one"
As for flashes and stealth's break the disguise I would say no. As flashes can be used ranged. And if the vampire is stunned they have to use health to break free from it.. so again no.
But holy water? YES. 100%. This means after the 1st attack of a "VAMPIRE SPOTTED" Holy water will become a resource players want to "find out" who the vampire is.

I do say keep access to batform. Yes this means the vampire can disguise themselves and go bat to break into restricted areas and might get spotted by the AI.. but atleast they aren't BETRAYED at 1st sight. Wich comes to the next debatable thing I haven't covered.

"FINGERPRINTS"
Do they leave a different set in their disguise? I think not since it's not a transformation but more a "Glamour"
But.. not giving away their prints at all seems abit too strong...
That said they can wear gloves and the glove ID would be given away, but that's nothing new for security.

Eitherway... good additions Love. Especially the Holy water one. Flashes I would say no and stun "maybe" but if the vampire get stunned and can't use their heavy offensive powers and they are on the clock, using their abillity to break free wich costs health is enough of a penalty, if a good sec officer can keep stunning them, eventually the vampire will drop their disguise and fight back OR... they will break free so much they are injured beyond belief and start walking slower.