Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Vocal translator, but you can breathe with it.
Basically the whole idea is just, have the translator be a breath mask, or let it also attach a breath mask.

Monkey main myself, and having to be unable to speak to breathe somewhere is kinda yeesh.
Clown main here embrace the pain.
Being a MONKEY is suppose to be a downside and considered something you shouldn't have from the start.

Also monkeys not being unlocked from the start has been discussed as well.

Aka... you chose the monkey way, you chose hard mode live with it.
Similiar like you chose the pug way, you chose hardest mode.

If you want to talk and have a breathing mask, don't be a monkey. Sorry.

Same with clown mains... but... if you are a clown main and I am the hired clown that right. I will fight you for my CLOWNYRIGHTS!
Me who plays a monkey that doesn't like wearing the translator so she mimes/writes everything to humans: I dont get it

EDIT: Probably should put thoughts here... Im with the others, monkeys already get some upsides, smaller sprite, mail chute travel, jumping tables, arguably the best *scream. They need downsides and this is a good downside
I still maintain vocal translators should never have been added.
Vocal translators no, but the voice changer you get via traitor PDAs or elsewhere I think should change any mask you wear into a breathe mask/gas mask. Would make it a better value for TC.
I already made a thread on this and people seemed pretty adamant against it. In my opinion I'd rather a more limiting downside to monkies than impending communication, but that's just me.

That being said I think kiki's idea is great.
I'm for Kiki's idea, it'd make the voice changer a little more useful and versatile! As for vocal translators the downside of not being able to talk is a bad one, everyone gets a pda so it's not like they can't talk it just makes a new player's experience worse if they're not aware of the messenger app.
Voice changers being in masks was already a thing no? I believe there was something like that already....
(08-07-2022, 09:43 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Voice changers being in masks was already a thing no? I believe there was something like that already....

You can add voice changers to any mask you want but Im saying it should also allow you to use any mask you add it to as internals for those masks that don't count as internals
I used to be very frustrated by this as mime, until I realised a single O2 first aid kit has enough salbutamol in it to deal with most of a round of hull breaches unless the entire station is permanently depressurized. Not sure if you can consistently speak while doing this though.
(08-08-2022, 10:44 PM)LeahTheTech Wrote: I used to be very frustrated by this as mime, until I realised a single O2 first aid kit has enough salbutamol in it to deal with most of a round of hull breaches unless the entire station is permanently depressurized. Not sure if you can consistently speak while doing this though.

Nope.
You'll whisper and won't be able to speak on comms.

I'd love to be able to talk when the station is depressurized or I'm fixing something.

It won't happen, though. This topic has been tread and retread, repeatedly.

Everyone is vehemently against QoL improvements for monkeys, because reducing engagement and interaction is the proper balance for the mechanical advantage of... tableflipping, I guess? You'd think it would be balanced, by say, making monkeys more fragile than they already are. Or tableflipping being very expensive in stamina cost. Or it having a chance for you to trip and break your face. Something mechanical.

But no. Not being allowed to engage with people in a multiplayer game without extra annoying steps of pulling out PDAs and irritating everyone with beeps, which everyone hates, is the chosen method.

I never understood the idea of why one would want to balance something using the method of making things less fun, in a game.

N-not that I'm bitter.  surprised fat and sassy space-bee

Yes. Annoying monkeys are annoying. I can't really blame people for wanting to make monkey players suffer, as we have all suffered under the tyranny of griefy Test Subjects.
But if one tried to propose balancing roach's rad resistance with not being able to use floating text, you'd be laughed off the forums. For good reason.
(08-09-2022, 11:07 PM)Love Wrote: I never understood the idea of why one would want to balance something using the method of making things less fun, in a game.

N-not that I'm bitter.  surprised fat and sassy space-bee

Yes. Annoying monkeys are annoying. I can't really blame people for wanting to make monkey players suffer, as we have all suffered under the tyranny of griefy Test Subjects.
But if one tried to propose balancing roach's rad resistance with not being able to use floating text, you'd be laughed off the forums. For good reason.

The problem is roach players (like myself) don't tend to do annoying things since "HAHA I AM MONKE! I TALK FUNNY WITH TRANSLATOR AND CAUSE PROBLEMS"
I do agree roach's rad resistance and heat resistance is kinda ridiclous but you trade in TERRIBLE BRUTE DEFENSES wich is.. as you may guess.. the number 1 methode of players trying to kill you. Still though...

Originally being a roach, cow, skeleton and dino was suppose to be a bad thing and considered non human, but they changed that around.
Now it's an UPGRADE with a downside. (As it costs a point to get it)
Where as the PUG requires 4 points but is an overall downgrade and joke... ment to be hard mode.

Again not defending roaches, but showing a pattern.

Monkeys are suppose to be "downgrades/downsides" as a lore reason and also isn't unlocked from the start like roaches. (wich I stated before)
This means becoming a monkey is suppose to be "bad" like being a pug is "bad"

So why not give them this QoL? Cause you aren't suppose to want to be a monkey that's why. But... I can also ask why the mime cannot talk? Like at all...Mimes suppose to be silent, but should be able to break charater and talk riiiight? Seems like QoL problem too... but it's purposely chosen.
People causing problems is a situation that should be ahelped. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with if you should be able to talk with internals.

I am totally fine with monkeys having downsides. I am totally fine with them being 'hard mode'. But rather notable with pugs is that their downsides are mechanical. They run into tables. They can't eat chocolate (is that still a thing?). Whatever else. None of it prevents you from playing the character. It's just a funny bunch of foibles. Debuff monkeys in the same way, as they already have with stamina maluses. Make them 'hard mode'. Not being able to talk isn't hard mode. It's annoyance mode.

The assertion that you're not supposed to want to play a playable playerrace is silly. They exist to play. A role lets you play them. This is a game where the point is to have fun. Why would you add something to not be fun? If we ascribed to that thought process, Clown would still be a punishment role, not the people we know, love and want to strangle.

If we aren't supposed to 'want to be a monkey' then why do they exist as an easily acquireable option, doubling the spriting that needs to be done, being able to be made in genetics from roundstart, provided with translators at roundstart.

Clearly, they are there to be played. So, playing them should be as fun as playing anything else. Because that is very literally why we are here, and the point of absolutely everything we do here.

As for mime, c'mon, really? You literally play mime not to talk. Zero people play monkeys to have to juggle with PDA beeps in vacuum.
(08-10-2022, 09:38 PM)Love Wrote: People causing problems is a situation that should be ahelped. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with if you should be able to talk with internals.

I am totally fine with monkeys having downsides. I am totally fine with them being 'hard mode'. But rather notable with pugs is that their downsides are mechanical. They run into tables. They can't eat chocolate (is that still a thing?). Whatever else. None of it prevents you from playing the character. It's just a funny bunch of foibles. Debuff monkeys in the same way, as they already have with stamina maluses. Make them 'hard mode'. Not being able to talk isn't hard mode. It's annoyance mode.

The assertion that you're not supposed to want to play a playable playerrace is silly. They exist to play. A role lets you play them. This is a game where the point is to have fun. Why would you add something to not be fun? If we ascribed to that thought process, Clown would still be a punishment role, not the people we know, love and want to strangle.

If we aren't supposed to 'want to be a monkey' then why do they exist as an easily acquireable option, doubling the spriting that needs to be done, being able to be made in genetics from roundstart, provided with translators at roundstart.

Clearly, they are there to be played. So, playing them should be as fun as playing anything else. Because that is very literally why we are here, and the point of absolutely everything we do here.

As for mime, c'mon, really? You literally play mime not to talk. Zero people play monkeys to have to juggle with PDA beeps in vacuum.

because they got whomped by a player monkey and that painted their experience negatively