babayetu83/discount dan hos app
Usual character name: Discount Dan, Borg Co. Operative
BYOND username: babayetu83
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Grink#5210
Recommended by (if applicable): n/a
Goon servers you play: Goon1

Reason for application: I decided I've wanted to apply to have HOS/NTSC available full time since I enjoy playing them on Fridays.

Security experience (300 word minimum): For a long while I really did not like playing as, or with security. During the first few years I started playing on goon, I loathed security. My view then was that they were just the fun police. I had too much fun being a nuisance and messing around with people, and as such I would have frequent encounters with security. But since I've started playing again around the end of last year and throughout this year, I had a massive perspective shift.

This shift was brought about by a few key things. I think I'm in a rather unique position to say as a player, that I've witnessed a significant culture shift. So as things have obviously changed, I think my playstyle has definitely changed too. Gone are the days of executing antagonists on the spot. Instead, we just cart them away to the brig and take their toys away. I find that to be a far more interesting dynamic than just instantly offing somebody because they were caught out at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Instead, the role and position of security feels like they are the opposite of antags in a way. It was obvious before, the majority of antag objectives involve killing, whereas a security officer is expected to de-escalate situations and arbitrate when interpersonal issues come to a head. Which is pretty often. But now, security feels like they are meant to, in a way, help guide and control the flow of a round. As stated above, just executing antagonists on the spot is detrimental to this idea, and I understand and have integrated this different logic and theory into my own gameplay.

A wizard has just teleported onto the station. Before, I wouldn't think twice about just dumping my taser into them. Because obviously the wizard just wants to kill and rampage, right? Well, even if they do, I try to reach out and talk to them. Just because somebody's rolled an antag doesn't necessarily mean they want to go on a rampage murder-spree, right? I get that feeling sometimes too. Talking to people usually leads to far more interesting scenarios than wordlessly tazing, cuffing, and beating them.

But when it comes to dealing with detainees, I try my best to work with them. Sometimes you'll just have two people going at it like cats and dogs, endlessly. Even if you brig them both, one of them is just going to try and kill the other. So to settle things, I offer something fun. A boxing match to the death to settle the issue. They usually agree, and off to the boxing ring we go. Now obviously, we clone the loser, but that's just an example of how I like to settle disputes like that. Another example would be with vampires. If we catch one, I like to make them deals. Bloodpacks for pacifism, with the alternative being extremely painful. For them, at least. I try to be both firm and fair when dealing with antags.

Now, to close this out, I feel like mentioning a few other things I've both noticed and begun to appreciate about security. I like to help people. Like being a mentor, security is a fun outlet for this. If somebody gets attacked, I like to make the effort to haul their body (breathing or not), back to medical. If I see/hear somebody struggling with something, I always try to lend a hand. Not only is it a good thing to do, but in a game like SS13, positive memories with other people (that don't involve wanton murder/destruction) are a bit rare. If an officer calls for backup over the radio, I drop what I'm doing and beat feet to try and help them/extricate them from their situation. I always try to coordinate with the other officers, and HOS if they are present with how to handle a situation/antag.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
Communication is crucial. Keep your fellow officers in the loop when you can. If you see/hear anything suspicious, it's usually worth letting your fellow officers know.
It's also a tried and true cliche, but, check in with the civilian staff when you can. Janitors usually see all kinds of messes and shit go down, as well as the bartender and chef. If you ask nicely, they might just give you helpful information/sightings. Do right by them, and they will (probably) try and do right by you, too. 

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one): I was mindslaved by a person in the brig who was fuming about being caught. I was trying to broker something because they demanded to be executed. I retrieved the katana that was confiscated, and proceeded to de-limb a bunch of security officers, as well as the captain. The first one I got had both arms cut off and just took off like Usain Bolt. The gen pop cell was soon full of limbs and blood. 

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
I made a thread previously suggesting there be a way for security officers to team up with sec assistants in order to more easily identify eachother. Ideally this would be used for more seasoned and experienced officers to more easily coordinate with any sec assistants that want to learn.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
I had a round like this a little while ago when I started playing again, I was a lone security officer in a mixed round consisting of a changeling, spies, and a wizard. I was generally more decisive than I would have been.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
A haiku.

A game near and dear
To have spent almost 10 years yet
Never quite tiring

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
space pod traffic stops, duo buddy cop squads

Draw a picture!
n/a

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): yes
+1.

While I haven't interacted with them much, I haven't seen any troubling behavior from Discount Dan.
They've used Mentor Friday's to be HoS and have shown they can handle everything just as good as any other.

+1. I can support Discount Dan's vye for HoS.
i actually believed they were hos already lol, yea i dont see anything bad and they are good working as sec so i dont see why not making it full time instead of only fridays +1
Played with Dan several times with us both being sec, he's always been pretty great from what I've seen. Big +1 from me!
positive feedback for sure! we played an rp round just yesterday, Dan is a solid officer, very communicative, was good having him in the team. i also saw him being hos on fridays, he has always been great. +1 from me!!
Seen you around a fair bit, and you have always been very helpful as sec! You are a good communicator, fair to antags, quick to respond, and overall good presence on the team. +1
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to some concerns regarding your behaviour. Feel free to reach out to us via discord if you wish to get some additional info. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!