Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
NERF THE DET_NET GOGGLES
These things are too dang powerfull without anyone using it for full potential (thank kot)
But lately as a detective.. I notice how the "file cabinet" is one of the easiest to use tools to put someone on arrest.
The thing about it is.. it's only on remote locations, but with DET_NETs you have them in your hand. Usable whenever, with the use of ID or logging.

While the downside of the Det_net is the fact the user's body is vunerable... that cabinet in there is really powerful and with my latest shift.. I noticed how ridiclously powerfull it is for both ANTAGONISTS and SECURITY.

Someone deletes a security record? The file cabinet can restore it by clicking the charaters name (wich it still has) and click "new record" and it's done.
So if a tricky antagonist did the hardest thing like sneaking into security and erasing their records so Secmate can't pick it up.
The detective can litterly put on the det_net and undo it anywhere within a snap.
Unless they use the file cabinet too... but again.. the det can do it anywhere with those VRGoggles.

So... next problem of the file cabinet and there for the DET_NETs.
Whenever someone is set to arrest... it won't give a notifcation like: "X has put Y on arrest."
So no one but the user of the file cabinet knows... and with the detective being able to do it everywhere, makes it waaaaay too good.

So what do I recommend to nerf it with?
Simple... replace the file cabinet with a secmate console that doesn't need to be logged into. This will not only make the det_net goggles slower then running to the file cabinet, it would also start an alarm to anyone in game like "DET_NET" has set someone to arrest.
If you wanna discreetly set someone to arrest, go to the file cabinet in the det's office.
If you wanna restore a record or make a new one effectively? Det's office.
But keeping the det_net in it's current state is waaaaaaay too powerfull as both an antagonist point and security point.

TD;LR
The file cabinet in the DET_NET goggles makes the goggles TOO GOOD of a security record manipulator in your pocket. Not even the HoS can manipulate arrest records on their PDA. Changing it Sec_mate makes them slower and no longer a "Silent" arrest.

Written by a Detective Main: Selena James
There is only one pair on station so I don't really think its that bad.
(08-01-2022, 01:09 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: There is only one pair on station so I don't really think its that bad.

It spawns with the detective, there is a way to spawn more wich relies on spawning more detectives.

The problem is.. even if it's one item with one detective. It's still too good of an item.
It has to do with the steps and time needed for a detective with DET_NET doing something vs a security officer who's on Secmate.

If I as a detective discover who the culprit is... I can tell everyone, then go into det_net, use the filing cabinet and set them to arrest. Before the secmate officer can find the records and change it. And I can do it from ANYWHERE.

My biggest concern for the nerf came from the round that an antagonist deleted their record from SECMATE, so I was curious as a detective if it was on DET_NET and low and behold it was... I clicked make new record, clicked set to arrest and there it is. I undid an antagonists job within seconds insted of running to a location to fix it and entering it back by hand.
Ergo changing the File cabinet to SECMATE makes more sense.... since now I can't do that unless I go back to my office and I won't set anyone to arrest right away.
"My biggest concern for the nerf came from the round that an antagonist deleted their record from SECMATE, so I was curious as a detective if it was on DET_NET and low and behold it was... I clicked make new record, clicked set to arrest and there it is. "

This I agree shouldnt be a thing. If the records are deleted they should be gone for good.
As someone that loves to delete their records when sec is on my case I agree the det googles shouldnt do what sec computers cant do.
(08-01-2022, 03:54 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: "My biggest concern for the nerf came from the round that an antagonist deleted their record from SECMATE, so I was curious as a detective if it was on DET_NET and low and behold it was... I clicked make new record, clicked set to arrest and there it is. "

This I agree shouldnt be a thing. If the records are deleted they should be gone for good.
As someone that loves to delete their records when sec is on my case I agree the det googles shouldnt do what sec computers cant do.

Now you get it.
The file cabinet (the secmate of det's office) is already a FASTER SECMATE but it's the "only one" in the station and needs to be logged in to, to use it.
It has the same features as the one in DET_NET goggles.
But the DET_NET ones do not require a log in, just to be in the DET_NET VR envoirment. Aka... the faster and better secmate in a pocket to be used anywhere that doesnt alarm sec of changes and can restore records like a snap....

Now you see why I want it to be nerfed to a normal SECMATE console insted eh?
I dunno about nerfing to normal secmate but I do agree it shouldnt be able to bring back a deleted record.
there should be at least some level of counterplay to deleting somebody's record. it's not as hard as you make it out to be. just get AA and sneak on in when nobody's looking and you've got it. or mindslave somebody. or law the ai/borg to do it for you. if you're seriously aiming to just delete your security record like that then you likely have one or more of those things available to you. plus, i don't see very many detectives doing this kind of thing since it tends to attract people who are just in it for the gun (and are swiftly beaten and robbed for it because they are fools)
(08-01-2022, 07:07 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: there should be at least some level of counterplay to deleting somebody's record. it's not as hard as you make it out to be. just get AA and sneak on in when nobody's looking and you've got it. or mindslave somebody. or law the ai/borg to do it for you. if you're seriously aiming to just delete your security record like that then you likely have one or more of those things available to you. plus, i don't see very many detectives doing this kind of thing since it tends to attract people who are just in it for the gun (and are swiftly beaten and robbed for it because they are fools)

I do agree that most detectives have no idea how good the DET_NET's are.
But those who do (like myself) know they are too "good" since how fast you can go into VR, go into record, if it's a big shift press CNTRL+F to use the search function, and change records then log out of VR.

Not only that but when detectiving on the cabinet the profiles you visited turn purple, thus you know who you had. (but I don't mind that).

Again I am fine with the COUNTERPLAY, but the COUNTERPLAY is now litterly... Ooh someone did AA, broke into security and deleted their record? Better log into DET_NET find their profile and turn it back on.
The counterplay shouldn't be undone in less then 10 seconds (yes thats how fast you can do it)
If I want to restore a record with the filing cabinet... I have to ATLEAST walk to my office to do so and use it there then using the DET_NET.
This atleast increases my time to do my job.