Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Reduces the slowdown from disorient
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE] [INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
This pr reduces the slowdown effect of the disorient status effect.

Why's this needed?
Currently, disorient is the second strongest additive slowdown, only outmatched by the slowed status effect. Considering that the effect causes misstep, and is on all sec weapons, which cause stamina damage, this makes getting hit by one almost guaranteed to lead into a full stun, unless under the effects of strong anti-stun drugs, like meth. This pr aims to make disorient less oppressive of a status effect, and in consequence make sec weapons more focused on reducing stamina to deliver the stun rather than simply landing the hit.

Videos
Before the pr change:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.co...85db68.mp4

After the pr change:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.co...94ea48.mp4

In both videos, I held left the entire time, while starting to sprint a tile before the bookcase.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Wisemonster
(*)The slowdown effect of the disorient status effect has been reduced (from 8, to 6).

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Disorient is also one of the shortest status effects unless something heavy like an explosion keeps you disoriented.
Considering that this ability is primarily used to slow down people in short few second bursts, I have a feeling it may be too much of a nerf and should be like 6.
I'd not be opposed to making sec weapons less two-click instant-winny, while still keeping them strong in general. Right not being slow for so long means you'll almost certainly continue to be hit.

At the very least I'd be curious to test it and see if it nerfs sec too hard. Changes can always be reverted.
I honestly Can't tell the difference.

If it allows people to run away more efficiently after being hit with a baton/Taser, I'd say yes.
Moreover, the slowdown from touching a shocked door is annoying.
you can still sprint quite quickly whiile disoriented, especially on drugs. i imagine people on drugs would be able to shrug this off too easily.
>especially on drugs. i imagine people on drugs would be able to shrug this off too easily.
I think it does practically nothing to people on drugs as it is?

I really haven't noticed them missstepping or anything following a stun.
No reason to punish the common antag that doesn't use drugs, or doesn't know how to make them, over it.

----
Added a comma.
Drugs are generally your mitigating factor for being stunned. It's 'punishment' in the same vein as showing up to a gunfight with no armor.
If you aren't on drugs, disorient is there to let you fire a last ditch effort, like fire a gun or teleport away. You can still do a limited number of things, too. like sprint to a disposal unit. But the whole point is that once you've been batonned you should only have a tiny number of options.

bear in mind before disorient, batons etc were an instant stun.
Making meth is very easy in SS13. If you arent making meth pills while you are up to no good you are only handicapping yourself.
Maybe instead replace Misstep on tasers etc. with a new Status that in addition to misstepping boosts speed to counter the slow without messing up antag Abilities?
That would also give room for future additions like an arcfiend selftarget ability or new emagged gear.

"Jolted" seems like a good name for random electrostimulation of muscles.