Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Donut 2 suggestions
since people were talking about this on discord decided to make a thread for it, suggestions for donut 2   jons the catte

edit: forget the bug part as sord said report the bugs at github  Morty
Thoughts on donut 2

- Needs more maintenance and better maintenance, antagging seems difficult if you're not on the science station. Maint right now just feels like an outer rim to the station with very little rooms for crime opportunities. I couldn't find much way of getting into them without maint access either, but I might have missed a door. (think getting to the clown hole via the shuttle doors on kondaru)

- It's a bit miserable on blob. There's not really any good spots to spawn, as again maintenance is only really an outer rim, and it feels like over half the walls to space are made from windows.

- Design wise some places feel sort of empty and spacious, which is a given with the older style of mapping. There's a few rooms that just seem a little tacked on in a random spot, given the more uniform circle the map looks like right now. Upload and jazz lounge come to mind.

- Related to the last point, the HoP office needs love. It's 2x2. Bridge has a lot of empty space you could work with I think.

I'll post more thoughts if I ever get them in the future!
Please report any bugs on github, not here, so I don't have a 5th place to check for them.
Overall I like it, there's obviously less stuff that's up to date.
Obviously it hasn't been in rotation and it needs some love.

I'd love to see maint expanded as mentioned.
The bridge is impressively large and open, but also impressively barren.

The Armory obviously isn't up to date. Missing things like Landmines, experimental grenade box.
My thoughts on Donut 2.
Fun map but I share the problems with the rest.

I do not see it much, but if you want to use a well designed map (and the best one in my opinion)
That would be Oshan.

With an inner and outer maintance, testing facility off into the distance, but 90% of the stations locations present on the main station.
I have no idea how many station hide something OFF STATION like a pool and owlery.
While Oshan lacks a pool... I think it's overall design is the best part, especially the northern section.
Escape pods please
Donut 2 huh.

Tbh, I feel even Manta is more polished.
Where to start?

- Its massive and empty. The ring is huge, lots of unnecessary rooms in inner maint.
Shrinking it and placing a TEG instead of the black hole would probably be an improvement at this point.
Takes ages to go to bridge from medbay.
Noticed that beloved donut 3 is pretty much the same there huh?
Call me crazy but it still feels more alive and maneuverable with the maints, e.g. Sec to Med.

- It feels totally outdated.
As mentioned, there are no pods besides diner, SEC does not even have a single wardrobe locker and nobody knows where the clown hole is (if there is one).
Still don't know where CE and HoP lockers are.

The offsite Sci and AI stations are a neat feature but does not help if the station is so huge.
Are you looking on the goonhub map? The goonhub map is super outdated, sec has a wardrobe locker in the same room as the weapons vendor, the clown hole is in a pretty standard location, inner maint on the north side (just not on goonhub right now), and the CE and HoP lockers are just in there room (which is in bridge).
Aye, you're right I was looking at the goonhub map. And you're right about the rest as well. (Besides the clown hole. Honk needs precise directions, honk needs answers, much HONK!)

Well, a good start would be to provide a updated map then.

Also looking at it a bit more, compared to the other maps, having everything important on the outer side. Think this has a psychological effect as well. If there is no singoloose, the inner ring is pretty much dead. Only half the endorphine when walking the hallway.
Compared to donut3, every section has its meaning and the walk from sec to med has always been the most boring one if there is no ongoing trial. No?
Look, I'm your 101 Donut2 hater, aight. I don't want to hate it and am looking forwards to any improvements but it is how it is.
And since this thread is a thing I'm probably not the only one.

Then you gotta ask -
What do popular maps have which donut2 does not have?

Lots of points already mentioned layout.
Redesigning donut2 is probably too much effort for a small project.

So suggestion. Put donut2 on halt, make it neat and release it as donut 4 or smth (also, original donut1? when)
For the missing map, about time to playtest Manta properly anyway, no?

May be extreme but some food for though about Donut2 discussion. Open for everything!
Few things I can think of to suggest :

1. It has a massive bridge and could use a few more things - like the headset crate (like cog1 and cog2), and maybe a drinks dispenser? looks kind of empty as is.

2. the research station's camera network is not viewable by the security camera computers - there's no option to select/view anything there despite having cameras.

3. the AI satellite could use a rework. It is a massive structure harkening back to the old days, with a lot of external turrets that won't work - anyone trying to break in will come from the uncovered massive solar sides.
Maybe also give it a layer of motion sensors and few more reasons for people to go there?? (think the donut 3 AI room)
The public halls feel pretty bland, especially the right side of the map. When you are going down from the north hall it's just walls and doors and it feels like a long slightly wider maint tunnel. I think some windows replacing walls might help visually? Make it less barren and claustrophobic. Some areas need more flavour/ decorations overall.