Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
can NTSO have a little more access?
played it today and i was surprised by how little access it had especially considering that it's a whitelisted role

the ai was being fucky and i went in to try and check its laws. i was able to enter but was oh-so cruelly unable to unlock the turrets. a cyborg had lubed the floors and had tragically died on accident from turrets as i asked the ai over the course of 5 minutes to let me through to check the laws (another sec officer had made it in and changed the laws since the cyborg left the door open).

then my next task: fix up the cyborg!

well i found that i had access to medbay but could not access neither the robotics lab (where a butterfly immediately flew in from the ai's core when the borg died and retrieved the brain) or genetics, where i spent about 10 minutes fucking around to prepare a human monkey body to clone that rascal cyborg who died into.

sure i could have just asked the hos to come do it but why? it seemed rather trivial in the scheme of things. the ai wasn't hostile and neither was the cyborg, so it was just a matter of just checking the law rack. and if there's an issue with hos/ntso just powergaming on the rp servers, why not just keep the access stuff separate there?
once many moons ago they had that kind of core access. it was removed but I cant for the life of me find a thread or PR with why, other than guessing it was to establish NTSO as Not A Head role.

for RP, NTSCs actually just query the same access secoffs have, which includes genetics and robotics.
NTSO acces is quite funky since it changes from map to map, on some maps like clarion he has head acces and on some like cogmap 2 he has secoff acces, really weird
NTSC always has the same access, just different maps have different standarts for different areas. But yes, AI upload would be good, at the very least.
NTSO should at very least have sec officer access.
NTSO gets security officer access and bridge access, they used to have all access: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...3537462b82
Bridge access is fine too I suppose.
I'm opposed to any AI/Core access but otherwise Sec+Bridge access should be the norm.
Fun nerd facts:

NTSO has Security Officer access + access_heads
access_heads = bridge access + other rooms at the discretion of the mapper. 

Because map access spawns are a little messy, this leads to situations like:
Oshan  
  • Can access Computer Core (silicon killswitch room next to RD's office), but cannot deactivate the turret (requires ai upload access), and cannot use the Robotics Control computer (requires robotics access lol). 
Donut3 
  • Can access AI satellite, but cannot deactivate the turrets.
Cog1 
  • Can use airbridges and access AI upload foyer (foyer, not the room). Can access Computer Core and deactivate turret. Cannot use the Robotics Control computer. 
Horizon 
  • Cannot access Computer Core (ai upload + killswitch room), but CAN access the mainframe room within Computer Core (what??). Can access teleporter room (can't on other maps).
Maps are whack lol

I don't like the idea of NTSO 'doing everything'. Just leave brains and bodies for medbay to deal with. 
I do think NTSO should have EVA access (fits the theme), although it is funny hearing them beg the AI to open EVA doors.
Looking at the map stuff above, NTSO might benefit from having access_robotics, so they can dump bodies in Robotics, and so they can killswitch silicons. (As a last resort of course. NTSO should have enough experience to judge anyway)

Let me know if you want more fun facts!  a fancy greater domestic space-bee
Yeah I think it's less of a NTSC Access thing and more of a mapping thing.

Donut 3 HoS can't access HoP's office.
Which isn't great for HoP's handing out AA.
Or if the HoS needs to do stuff on an ID console.

I do agree that the NTSC having more access would be great.
However I'm not sure as to why it was reduced.
Was it too easy to mindhack an NTSC?
Thus you'd have a bodyguard with terribly powerful lethals, near-AA and Able to rouge the AI in seconds?
Along with having all the trust of a white-listed player.

Overall I'd argue that NTSC Should have access equivalent to HoS, including Armory.
However I'm not certain as to why they shouldn't. And so I would reserve my argument.
NTSO lost a lot of its access as it was just HoS with none of the responsibilities, which just invited supercops to play it.

Whitelisted players aren't always above becoming a loser supercop, nor are they immune to the temptations of just fixing every annoying thing/traitor in the round. Giving them all access and the best gear when they're mostly better than the average player sort of amplified how bad it was too.

Can't say I haven't instantly killed a few annoying rogue AIs or murdered some people that were, in retrospect, only barely deserving it. My experiences with NTSOs have never really been great fun either.
(08-01-2022, 11:13 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: NTSO lost a lot of its access as it was just HoS with none of the responsibilities, which just invited supercops to play it.

Whitelisted players aren't always above becoming a loser supercop, nor are they immune to the temptations of just fixing every annoying thing/traitor in the round. Giving them all access and the best gear when they're mostly better than the average player sort of amplified how bad it was too.

Can't say I haven't instantly killed a few annoying rogue AIs or murdered some people that were, in retrospect, only barely deserving it. My experiences with NTSOs have never really been great fun either.

i'm not asking for all access here, just a teensy bit more than what they've already got
just give the NTSC eva access and thats that