• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Reintroduces antag captains on RP
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Balance][input wanted]
About the PR

removes rpmode ifdef for no antag caps

Why's this needed?
thought about this one a lot after patching and in the recent months especially. original patch was to hopefully establish another meta-reliable command role on RP, which...I cant honestly say I think has panned out as strongly as hoped; there's still a LOT of distrust of captains
After watching more of classic and how antag HoPs play, I can't say I have any gear concerns for antag captains either.

What this DOES have the potential to re-add is a unique dynamic and memorable antagonist role for some serious and creative RP, the suspense of and core idea that no one is totally trustworthy (almost no one, anyways), and a potentially larger threat for stations to unify against when I think I've observed a real need for something that does that.
Additionally, parity with classic servers which I think preserves some of the intuitive knowledge of the game that newer players develop. It's weird and clunky to explain to people that Captains can be antag, but only on classic, and not RP, unless they're conspirators, but you can only be conspirator on RP, and so on.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)nefarious6th
(*)Captains are able to be antags on RP again

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
No. It wasn't fun dealing with antag caps on RP, and I struggle to see new players getting confused over: Captains can only roll conspirator antagonist on RP.
My problem is I seen some captains on RP being antagonistic to a degree too for a dumb gimmick or joke.
Heck one of them I was an antagonist and I litterly stopped antaging to break up the HoP and Captain fighting over a "FUNNY AI LAW"
Eventually a HoS came in and broke it up. I helped the HoS (since I was a detective antagonist and only security before that) and resolved it.
(Yes I did Ahelp this. They weren't an antag)

I cannot imagine what some true antagonist captains will do.... those funny laws? "BAM AI IS NOW AN ANTAGONIST TOO" within 5 mins.
So I agree with leeanei.
Nah. I've always quite liked the fact that captain on RP is another "reliable" roll that can (usually) be trusted to have the crews best interests at heart. I personally think that having captain's not able to roll antag on RP helps give the job a bit more respect IC, and helps move them away from the staffie with AA/lootbox that they are on classic.

From an antagonist stand-point, I also enjoy having captain's as non-antag because it means that even if there's no HoS around, there's reliably a member of command that I'll have to work against - a threat. One that either has to be worked around, or perhaps directly confronted. I like that, and I think that non-antag captain on RP - usually - works well.

If anything, I'm still of the opinion that captain shouldn't be able to roll antag on classic.
(07-28-2022, 04:51 AM)Hauntmachine Wrote: Nah. I've always quite liked the fact that captain on RP is another "reliable" roll that can (usually) be trusted to have the crews best interests at heart. I personally think that having captain's not able to roll antag on RP helps give the job a bit more respect IC, and helps move them away from the staffie with AA/lootbox that they are on classic.

From an antagonist stand-point, I also enjoy having captain's as non-antag because it means that even if there's no HoS around, there's reliably a member of command that I'll have to work against - a threat. One that either has to be worked around, or perhaps directly confronted. I like that, and I think that non-antag captain on RP - usually - works well.

If anything, I'm still of the opinion that captain shouldn't be able to roll antag on classic.

While on RP it works well since yea.. it's reliable. I do agree even on classic, captains shouldnt be ANTAGS!

But if we do get captain antags the following they could be:
-Werewolf (just infected)
-Changeling (Alien took caps form)

These are the only ones I think they should roll. "If" it is a classic only thing. Since it makes sense.

But personally.. since you gotta play x amounts of shifts to be the captain. In my eyes the captain needs to be the most reliable command member you can play 1st before being Whitelisted to HoS.
It's kinda annoying that basicly anyone on command can be an antagonist including the captain...but only the HoS can be not antag, but those only appear if white listed players are on and willing to roll it and not someone nillywilly can pick like the captain.
I am not a fan of antag captains, nor antag HOPs to be fair either. Captain on RP should still have his "somewhat trusted" status, and if we want to actually the "trusted status", the captain should get a higher timelock (because come on, 30 for officer and 20 for captain which can actually play more importance than the secoffs).
And genuinly, whilist having an AA gives place for some great gimmicks, having everything on the tip of your fingertips at roundstart is boring, and this is one of the reasons feeding from NPCs was removed.
That said, I am not a fan of conspirator captains either, as well, conspirating against yourself is wierd, and it always plays out to having 5 people with AA and sec gear/comms + one of those AAs gets lost, and suddenly half of the server is grilling in the upload.

And I share Angel's opinion, caps shouldn't be antags on classic either.
Captain has no set job, the only special mechanics they get are combat/loot obtaining oriented (things like better armor, a gun, aa, etc). This means that antag captains will tend to do gameplay strategies that use there special mechanics, which is things like getting stacked with items and focusing on combat instead of social stuff. Of course, this doesn't mean that roleplay captains will just do a powergame rampage, they still tend to respect roleplay rules. What this does mean however, is that the vast majority of times, antag captains play as "good luck catching me with my aa implant and 4 aa ids hidden across the station" and rarely something else (this applies to classic antag cap as well, but outside of scope). I dont see any reason for this playstyle to go away when it gets reintroduced.
No, dealing with problematic/self-antaggy Captains is bad enough as is.
It'd be nice to know the Cap is a position of trust (and to know when they're being a shitter)