Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
being able to late-join as a borg
i think it would be novel to late-join as a cyborg

like a light-frame one like when someone spawns as one

if not spawning in the shuttle then maybe they could spawn in braindead/unoccupied cybernetic bodies in robotics
babayetu83 Wrote:if not spawning in the shuttle then maybe they could spawn in braindead/unoccupied cybernetic bodies in robotics

This would make a lot of robutticists very happy.
why do people who join as cyborgs in the first place get light frames? they should be standard parts, light parts are supposed to be for when you have metal shortages, kind of discourages me from being a borg.
Shoddy Wrote:why do people who join as cyborgs in the first place get light frames? they should be standard parts, light parts are supposed to be for when you have metal shortages, kind of discourages me from being a borg.

When does the station ever have a metal shortage?

The idea of light borg is 1. to nerf Borg rampages and 2. give the Roboticist more to do (don't like the frame? Ask the Roboticist to make you a stronger one). Plus I actually prefer the light borg frame, it's much faster and looks slightly creepy to boot.
babayetu83 Wrote:i think it would be novel to late-join as a cyborg

like a light-frame one like when someone spawns as one
This would pretty much make the "destroy all cyborgs" objective for traitors impossible. Sure they could killswitch/ murder/ law upload all the cyborgs created by robotics or spawned at the start throughout the round but 30 seconds from shuttle launch someone decides to join the round as a borg and go braindead in arrivals and you basically have no chance. Especially since, when normal character bodies are destroyed (as opposed to left to rot), those jobs become available for new arrivals, so if other jobs are filled and you killed all the borgs people would probably keep joining as borgs rather than as a lowly staff assistant.

If you want to be a borg go down to robotics and ask the roboticist to make you into a borg (most are starving for something to do). No roboticist? Make/steal a cyborg head and cook yourself up a roburger!

Unless you meant this would be as random and unlikely as Late-join traitor. Then: all the same problems but not quite as terrible.
How bout a docking station for braindead borgs and borg parts.
A joining borg would either spend the borg parts required to make a suit or occupy one that has no brain in it that has been placed inside.
The roboticist can then refill the docking station with new parts or another braindead borg.
The option to join as a borg would only be there as long the parts needed to make a cyborg was in there or a braindead one has been placed inside.
So if someone needs to kill all borgs, they could disable the machine to make sure none joined.
I really like this idea...
Kaet Wrote:How bout a docking station for braindead borgs and borg parts.
A joining borg would either spend the borg parts required to make a suit or occupy one that has no brain in it that has been placed inside.
The roboticist can then refill the docking station with new parts or another braindead borg.
The option to join as a borg would only be there as long the parts needed to make a cyborg was in there or a braindead one has been placed inside.
So if someone needs to kill all borgs, they could disable the machine to make sure none joined.

This is a good fix (and something good for the robotics to do)
I don't think people should be able to late-join as Borgs. The primary way to become a Borg should be via the Roboticist. Joined the round late and want to be a Borg? Ask the Roboticist.
Yeah, I agree with the concerns about removing work for roboticists and messing up the "kill borgs" goal. r i p
Cogwerks Wrote:Yeah, I agree with the concerns about removing work for roboticists and messing up the "kill borgs" goal. r i p

well why not add a component that you can put into a borg frame that lets people latejoin into the completed borg body in lieu of playing the waiting game

roboticists will still have to do their jobs and all
You could rework the objective to be

1. The cyborgs that started on this station have deep syndicate secrets make sure centcom never gets a hold of them.
babayetu83 Wrote:
Cogwerks Wrote:Yeah, I agree with the concerns about removing work for roboticists and messing up the "kill borgs" goal. r i p

well why not add a component that you can put into a borg frame that lets people latejoin into the completed borg body in lieu of playing the waiting game

roboticists will still have to do their jobs and all

An artificial brain from the fabricator that allowed latejoiners to take control of an empty cyborg sounds like a good idea.

I remember there often were rounds where there really weren't any non-braindead players to put in the frames. It's frustrating when you are a robotiscist and you make an army of cyborgs, but there is noone to use them.
"Welcome to Dumbass Pubbie Station 63!
149.7 Dumbass Pubbie says "are there any roboticists? I want to be a borg."
149.7 Nonshit Roboticists says "Yes, I am a roboticist and I have a spare borg body ready to go. Come down here and let me cut out your brain."

Wow! The two elements which people are suggesting (A joining player who wants to be a borg, and a roboticist who wants to borg people) are combining in a new, and unprecedented way! Why, it's almost like... like fun is happening... right before our eyes...

If you're going to make them go through all the trouble of building the borg anyway, why is it so hard to then find someone who can cut your brain out and stick it in the already-constructed body? The few situations I can think of where you can't find a single greyshirt with surgeon aspirations to hack your thinkumbox out and metallize it probably wouldn't be a whole hell of a lot more fun if you were a borg as opposed to an assistant.
The problem is that not many people want be borgs. I do not play robotist often, but when I do it is surprisingly hard to get someone to be a Borg. A late join Borg optition would get the robotist the people he/she needs.