Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[MERGED PR] makes pressing the security alert/crisis alert give a chatbox notice, ...
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[feature][balance][input wanted]

About the PR
@Zonespace27 's ORIGINAL PR FOR THE CHATBOX NOTICE: #6979
@ThatFiveGuys 's ORIGINAL PR FOR THE MAPTEXT AND ALERT SOUND: #8323
ORIGINAL THREAD: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=18585

https://user-images.githubusercontent.co...bf4cf4.mp4

**New text color**
[Image: 181450258-e766fb97-a86d-49f0-bfc5-4a7b83bcdaeb.png]

Why's this needed?
People seemed to like the visible/audible alerts, so I just went back and worked with @Yellow-Mushroom on making up a new sound

Changelog
Code:
changelog
(u)Ikea, Zonespace, and Yellow/Myco
(*)Pressing the PDA crisis or security alert now alerts people nearby through the use of a sound effect, chatbox message, and overhead text.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
oh i like the sound you choose
Looks good. 

I do think the text font should be different, perhaps something like the silicon chat font, so people are clear that it isn't you talking. 

The alert text should appear in chat log, something like:
[Image: SecurityPDAV3.png]*Emergency alert sent*

I think dropping "Please assist this officer" will avoid later issues. Such as new players unintentionally assisting traitors. 
And, very pedantically, not everyone who can send an alert is an "officer".

~

You might also consider making versions for medical/engineering/janitorial emergency alerts (if you would like further work lol)
I like this.

Actually i'd like to ask, is it possible to have this be done for Crisis Alerts aswell, and would people think it'd be a good idea?
I still dislike the "please assist this officer", I think it should only say "emergency alert sent". Most often the alarm is used to get backup from your team, I would not want everyone around jumping in because they saw the "assist this officer" part.
The main reason for the "please assist this officer" is 1. I think theres a really good bit of irony for sec offs to ask for help all the while theyre getting there shit kicked in and it helps give an in universe explanation for why the alert is audible. But more importantly, 2. people jumping in is the point, if a sec off is desperate enough to send out an alert and if theres people nearby then yeah they may need some help. It adds a new dynamic for antags to work around/with and I think thats neat.
(07-28-2022, 11:40 AM)Ikea Wrote: The main reason for the "please assist this officer" is 1. I think theres a really good bit of irony for sec offs to ask for help all the while theyre getting there shit kicked in and it helps give an in universe explanation for why the alert is audible. But more importantly, 2. people jumping in is the point, if a sec off is desperate enough to send out an alert and if theres people nearby then yeah they may need some help. It adds a new dynamic for antags to work around/with and I think thats neat.

Antagonist are already quite heavy handed even worse for new ones, we don't need all the crew jumping them with the whole of security coming for back up, that's a no no and I'm mainly talking for RP here.
We really don't need to give a reason for non security to jump an antagonist like that and it's worse for new players that don't know better.

(07-28-2022, 11:48 AM)Fredric Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 11:40 AM)Ikea Wrote: The main reason for the "please assist this officer" is 1. I think theres a really good bit of irony for sec offs to ask for help all the while theyre getting there shit kicked in and it helps give an in universe explanation for why the alert is audible. But more importantly, 2. people jumping in is the point, if a sec off is desperate enough to send out an alert and if theres people nearby then yeah they may need some help. It adds a new dynamic for antags to work around/with and I think thats neat.

Antagonist are already quite heavy handed even worse for new ones, we don't need all the crew jumping them with the whole of security coming for back up, that's a no no and I'm mainly talking for RP here.
We really don't need to give a reason for non security to jump an antagonist like that and it's worse for new players that don't know better.

Having just the "Emergency Alert Sent" is fine though and I'm up for it.
I don't get why you need an in-universe explanation for the alert button doing "beep boop" and saying "emergency alert sent" in a robotic voice, it makes enough sense to me on its own. And I REALLY don't want everyone and their grandmother jumping in when an officer send an alert to get some backup. Nothing stops people from helping an officer if they are in trouble, but at least there's not an invitation to do it displayed above their head in a big bright text.
The text is only shown to those in visible range, its not a message to party line. The alert is an emergency alert, I dont want people using it to request for backup as comms or pda already work well there, and having it used as such I feel weakens its purpose. If a secoff is getting there shit kicked in with several people in visible range, then I think its perfectly fair (and good) if people hop in and help them, if you want to play that boldly as antag then expect a bold response (and most people who play this boldly expect it).
Yeah, I agree with Alex here. The "please assist this officer" is really out of place. If an officer is sending an alert, it dosen't mean he is desperate, it means he needs backup, and a quick way to get it, or it might go south. If there is a guy with a gun, I don't want 5 staffies getting killed because they though the "funny alert, lemme go validhunt for that guy with a Predator, wcgw".
Sometimes people send an alert because they see a running antag (guy in mech boots for example), that is not explecity agressive, but other sec needs to know where they are, but there is not time to radio it.
Overall that little sentence will just lead to more valid hunting both on RP and classic.

That said, I am good with just the "alert sent" part though.
went ahead and added the alert stuff to all crisis alerts too. Crisis alerts sent from the program on the PDA just say "emergency alert sent".
I don't like the idea. I think this alert will give validhunters a thumbs up and say "Alright some officer requests help go bash the antag(or maybe petty crimer) with a fire extinguisher". I think this causes more trouble for sec than helping them since security has stuns and crew don't so how do you expect them to react. I think this also is against security's spirit since you put crew in harms way.(since you send them into danger) In a sneaky antags standing point who got lucky or with decent planning outwits a secoff i think he deserves to go with the spoils not being robusted by greyshirt metagangs.