Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A serious discussion about the state of monkeys
Uhm, you may have misunderstood me there, but i also advocate for keeping the translator seperate from the breathing mask. It is a central - restriction- that needs to be played around. And limitations breed creativity. That's why i think it is more than fashion or QOL.

Should have definetly phrased that better
(10-10-2022, 11:40 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: Honestly, if you're doing some elaborate roleplay that requires a bunch of prepwork to make happen and that backfires on you, that's kinda your own fault. "Having to get monkey transformation mid-round is bad for monkey mains" is like saying "having to get 1,000,000,000 credits every game so my rich character is actually rich is bad for me, a billionaire main" or something. If your character concept is so disjointed from mechanics that you sometimes "can't start playing" because some specific criteria wasn't fulfilled, then you probably need to reevaluate that character concept.

Edit for clarification because im bad at wording things: my ultimate point here is that this thread is starting from the position of playing in a way unsupported by the mechanics and then wondering why its so hard and awkward to play in that way, and that strikes me as very silly.

So, I'm not wholly disagreeing with your point here. Elaborate RP with prepwork doesn't work, that's why you usually design your RP around what happens in a round. But what I do disagree with is that you're saying "playing as a monkey" is "elaborate prepwork". Yes, I have to walk to genetics and it's an awkward OOC moment, but it's not elaborate nor does it take too much time; hence my argument for QoL that streamlining this would yield the same results.

And to counter your ultimate point, making a thread describing somethingĀ that is currently unsupported by the game is quite literally what these forums are for; they are a place to discuss opinions and possible future additions, such as new features orĀ game modes. I wouldn't call it very silly at all, in fact, I find it reductive to assume that you're only allowed to make points about things present in the game. Vocal translators were added to the game because people wanted to RP as a monkey, and I'm sure back then you had plenty people saying "It's really silly to want to RP as a monkey, mimes don't talk either, just use your chimpers", but I'm glad that the majority of people were a bit more open-minded.

(10-10-2022, 02:04 PM)Kotlol Wrote: While I think Monkey sub race being able to be used... I disagree with it. At best start of round monkeyification should cost SpaceBux.. since I seen many monkey players cause problems, BIG PROBLEMS CAUSE OHAHAHAHA MONKEY! Test Subjects especially...
So making it cost Spacebux forces them to do their job or else they won't be able to play monkey for the time being.

Personally, I would be more than happy to have them be a SpaceBux purchase, though I'm sure that would be met with similar criticism.

---

After reading and hearing a lot of the points being made in here (and on Discord), I'm disappointed that there's so much voices against adding monkeys as a starting trait, though for the time being I've no choice but to accept that. Nevertheless, I have made a PR that adds the ability to slot vocal translators into masks, but with the exclusion of internals. It's clear to me that it's a big community opinion that people want that downside to continue to exist, which is why I included that exception. We'll see whether or not it'll get added to the game, though I've genuinely tried to build changes around what people have voiced concerns over, and to me it seems nobody has an issue with monkeys wearing cute masks, so long as they can't breathe with a vocal translator.