HoS Application - Naomi Armitage
Usual character name: Naomi Armitage (Ramon Goldstein/Nora Perez/NT Emergency Repair Borg)
BYOND username: Tabachi
Discord username (if you are on our discord): tabachi#1864
Recommended by (if applicable): Several of my Sec friends!! They all got promoted and said I would also be a good HoS.
Goon servers you play: RP 3/4, sometimes Engineering on 1

Reason for application: Long running Security Officer Career, Confidence in Leadership Abilities

Security experience (300 word minimum): I made it a point as a player to learn my way around stations, around jobs, before attempting security for the first time. Even then, I still fell subject to the usual abuses of power that come with being a rookie in a Peace-Officer. I think it was in the confusion of combat on an early shift that Naomi accidentally targeted and killed Augustus Hanaki instead of the vampire. That moment had a pretty profound effect on me; I had fucked up pretty severely by many standards, but of course most guilt bearing was violating my own personal standards.
Naomi has come a long way! Not all at once, but slowly over time. She has a natural leadership that kicks in when no HoS in in charge, asking for regular updates from her team. She takes time to mentor new sec people, and to remind them of space law in moments of crisis and judgement. More than once she's had to ask command "did they kill anyone" when they furiously demand execution. Early on in Naomi's Sec career she found herself often protecting antagonists from the crew after judgement had been reined down. The Space Law, I've found, works to protect officers who abide by it.
Naomi is an Officer alongside others such as Cara Garnet, Alex Wilo, Scarlett Hynes, Archer Bandog, and has served under HoSs such as Virdinis, Elijah, Aghata, Nicolas Drake, and other professionals. Being a puritan has made her take things carefully, and serving along other officers who have been promoted has shown her what is important to value in the job of Security. While still struggling with a short attention span, she is surprisingly competent in her abilities, and very dedicated to fairness in her judgements. Not to mention, she's a ton of fun. 
Fairness is something important to me as a player; I'm as human as anyone else, but I try to learn from my mistakes. Ever since the time Naomi accidentally killed Hanaki, she's never made a fatal mistake of that magnitude again. I've had clowns push me to the edge to nearly murder them; but as I remember from that same shift, we hugged on the shuttle and made up. Then he threw a bible under me, hoping I didn't notice, and told me to fart.
I've been hesitant to turn this application in; Naomi is comfortable as an officer. She enjoys delegation, serving under an HoS or a competent Captain on the rare occasion that one exists. She understands the weight of responsibility. But as time passes and more of her friends are promoted, she should ask herself, is she ignoring her potential? With more new faces showing up in security, maybe it's a good time to step up and set a good example. A fun example!

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? Prioritize peace. Ticket minor crimes and move on. Always act in the interest of fairness, even in unusual situations. And don't fight the clown, you'll embarrass yourself when the clown kicks your ass.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) Too many to count. Naomi, as a character, is a spoiled rich girl pretending to be a cyborg. Her life is mostly just her having fun. Action and Combat is cool and all, but the more memorable moments to me have all been procedural, like a ridiculous episode of Law and Order. One that comes to mind is an obvious criminal who never had evidence of wrongdoing and thus had to be set free constantly. Stuff like that is fun!
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? To Security directly? nothing. The better the station improvements, the better the crew gets along, the less drama and conflict and confusion. There's a reason, I believe, Sec players tend to enjoy the Stations (Cog/Donut/Kondaru) as opposed to the Ships (Destiny/Clarion/Horizon) as the Ships are old compromised deathtraps while the stations are largely efficient. Oh and more Nukies on RP
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. I sat on this question for a few minutes. I think in both situations, I prioritize communication. I communicate with my team, I communicate with command, I communicate with the crew. Often times, when working alone, I will obtain/use as much money as my disposal as I can to pay for crew services, or 'reparations' for property or personal damage to crew who file complaints. I feel confident with a full team; I can relax a bit. As a lone officer, I feel I still do well.

ALSO I HAVE NEVER ONCE CRYO'D AS A SEC OFFICER! I think. Maybe once? But I came back.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13. - A Haiku:
    floating asteroid

I need to buy school supplies
    you're soaking in it
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    Once a captain demanded a "Sec Parade" throughout the halls of Oshan. five minutes before it was scheduled to run, a Cybershark attack caused intense flooding among the station. The captain was adamant about keeping the schedule, and despite not being finished with repairs, Naomi walked away from the disaster to walk through the halls and wave while the Captain and the other members of Sec all made noise with whistles and horns and waved a bunch.

• Draw a picture!
    Okay! https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/7...nknown.png
    Illustration by me, based on a shift. Naomi battled a sawdrone that had murdered the Space Diner and wounded Dove Liir and her girlfriend. Naomi had a hardfought battle with the drone but ultimately defeated it, and brought Dove Liir and her girlfriend back to station where they were successfully cloned. And they made it onto shuttle, too. I feel really proud they lived to see shuttle; had I not investigated a case that brought to the Diner at that moment, they would have surely died and not have been cloneable. Seeing them on shuttle made me proud.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): wooooo a lot. uhhh...
at least three that were drama related, mostly me getting tunnel-vision-rage and no one is telling me to chill out
once as a borg that I made a big stink about because it felt it was unfair
once recently where I acted upon something I already reported
I've cooled down a lot! I'm a hot-head and I've seen nothing but red before, some things trigger me in a wrong-time wrong-thing situation. I'm still learning how to manage it, I introspect on my personal failures and, while I feel really embarrassed a lot of the time, I'll just... own it. I'll keep working to be better. I don't carry grudges and do my best to learn from experiences. I'm a troublemaker sure but I try to come from a positive place ♥
I've seen you berate some folks on the sec team for messing things up.
in general, I dont think I see a lot of leadership from you as an officer right now either.

Also not cryo'ing isnt really a badge of honor and no one is somehow weaker for cryoing instead of pushing themselves beyond their limits and that mentality was something I had thought the community moved past like a year and a half ago. Please understand this for those moments of potentially continuing to stay in frustrating rounds where you then become prone to either lashing out or totally shutting down, which I've witnessed both.

I'm gonna drop it here too. I like to be comfortable around the folks I play with. I'm not comfortable around naomi because she seems to be routinely over sexualized based on her almost always wearing assless chaps or the donkini, along with some prior comments and characters you've made.
(07-23-2022, 07:46 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: I've seen you berate some folks on the sec team for messing things up.
in general, I dont think I see a lot of leadership from you as an officer right now either.

Also not cryo'ing isnt really a badge of honor and no one is somehow weaker for cryoing instead of pushing themselves beyond their limits and that mentality was something I had thought the community moved past like a year and a half ago. Please understand this for those moments of potentially continuing to stay in frustrating rounds where you then become prone to either lashing out or totally shutting down, which I've witnessed both.

I'm gonna drop it here too. I like to be comfortable around the folks I play with. I'm not comfortable around naomi because she seems to be routinely over sexualized based on her almost always wearing assless chaps or the donkini, along with some prior comments and characters you've made.

Zamujasa said: If you're posting in this forum, please try to make constructive comments. If someone isn't HoS or mentor material, explain why - don't use an application thread just to be a jerk.
Additionally, do not post on someone's application if you yourself have an application open. If you do post, we will disregard it.

This doesn't feel very constructive. The Cryo thing isn't some sort of toxic culture, it's simply who I am. I even said it in a jokingly fun manner.

Naomi Armitage is a character from a cyberpunk anime. You'll notice that I paint the snazza suit/donkini red, and I add a jean jacket also painted red. It's basically cosplay of an anime cyberpunk cop. In fact, in the image I drew up there, Naomi is wearing said outfit, and that is how I picture it. Anyone can see for themselves how "sexualized" it is. I'll admit it's a rule I've accidentally broken a few times before... as Nora. Never as Naomi. That being said, I've learned from my mistakes. Not to mention I've grown more professional as an officer and simply don't make time for outfits anymore.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and set your extensive history of berating players whose play you don't like after the round ends to the side and judge your application by what's there alone. very little here inspires confidence - between propping up the oft-maligned space law, promising to protect antagonists from the crew and not the other way around, just... listing regulars you've been on a sec team with as if that means something other than you've played sec during the same round? referring to your sec character in the third person as if you're not the one controlling her when, like... that's the whole purpose of these apps? being backhanded even now to the clown you recount in the section about fairness? not naming who recommended you in the app?? I don't know, for a hos app there's very little here that makes me feel secure

also yeah I agree with mona I would NOT be comfortable with a hos known for rushing the snazza suit. please put the tits away this is not the server for them
Going to be a no from me, so lets explain why.

I started writing this application before heading to work today, and I'm finishing it after returning, so I've had time to think over a lot of the details and subjects I want to touch on. I'll probably repeat a few points that others have made however, so I apologise for that. For starters, the application is primarily what I have based my decision off of, as I've not played Security with you in quite some time. In addition to that, I've not seen that much of the berating other players, but I've seen a share of it.

The way you've written this in the third person about your Sec character, and not yourself as a player is rather confusing. Maybe this is your writing style, but you've introduced a degree of separation between Naomi, and yourself as a player. Naomi is not who we are looking at here for a potential HoS, but you as a player and this means not just Naomi, but ALL of your characters. As a HoS, you're held to a much higher regard than other players when it comes to respecting the rules, and respecting other players even when not playing Sec. Of course, the things Naomi does are the things that you have her do while playing and I understand that. But this Application would have been a lot more, I guess sincere and transparent if you wrote about yourself as a player, and not as an app for Naomi, and this is the main issue I've taken away from this Application, and that is the lack of sincerity and transparency.

For example, you claim that you've had recommendations from your Sec Friends who have all been promoted. That's all well and good, but who are these people? If they've recommended you, I'm sure they'd be happy to have their name in the recommendations section. Claiming that you've been recommended but not providing who does not inspire confidence, and instead further harms the applications overall sincerity and transparency.

The section about listing other Players who you have played Sec with is also really off putting for me, because I can't see how this in anyway helps the application, other than saying that you played these specific players. Going on to refer to them as "professionals" also rubs me wrong, because what you're doing here is putting these players on a pedestal and I know folks would be very uncomfortable with this, and I know I would, but I won't speak for everyone. You also go onto mention that Naomi is a puritan and because of this you take things carefully. Again, I fail to see how this is relevant to the application? I'd like to see some clarification here.

The comment about never cryoing also gives me a lot of concern. I know you said yourself that you said this in a joking manner, but I don't think it is meant to be joked about. HoS is a ridiculously stressful and mentally draining job, especially when starting out, and there's a reason why a lot of HoSs burn out. Recognising as HoS, or as any job for that matter, when you have hit your limit and you no longer want to partake in the round and that you should cryo is a very important skill to have for a very important reason. Negative experiences negatively impact a persons mood, and if this mood unrecoverable, then mistakes start getting made, you can start lashing out, and other peoples experiences start getting negatively impacted.

I'll provide an example from a very recent experience of mine while playing HoS. Due to outside of game circumstances that were harming my enjoyment of the round, I'd become probably the angriest I had ever been playing this game. I no longer wished to partake in the round and as soon as I was able to, I cryo'd. My mood was negatively impacted, and I didn't want to continue the round in this poor mental state and lash out at others or make bad decisions. Cryoing when upset is not a weakness, its the kindest thing you can do for yourself and others.

I do not doubt you have the leadership skill, communication skill, and RP skill to be a HoS, but the other areas, and overall emotional robustness are still lacking. Please take on board what everyone has said to you on this thread. No one is out to make you feel unwelcome or unwanted, and people are trying to be as constructive as they possibly can be. If you can do this, improve your overall mindset and attitude, and provide a more sincere application next time about why you as a player should be a HoS and not Naomi, then we'll have a potential recommendation.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to mixed feedback, both from the community and the admins. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!