Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[CLOSED PR] Counterrev implants no longer convert players. the amount of counterre...
I think that comment misses the point of this change, the point of this change is not to make counterrevs any less critical to the round. Nor is the changes purpose to make converting people less hard. Will this change make counterrevs less good and converting people harder? Yes. Is this the main point of the change? No.

I am of the take that what people can do matters much less then what they will do. People can run to medbay and cut out there implant, despite this however very few people do. Even when all you needed was a glass shard and a bed, this was still the minority of people counterrevved. You don't really see floods of people running to medbay on rev rounds. Why is this? Well, two main reasons 1. The source of damage can be confusing, players may not realize they've been implanted and thus not know what they can do. This as the only reason why doing something about implants is rare seems week though, a significant chunk of players know how this mechanic works, yet people cutting out there implants is still a minority.

I think the main main reason for this trend is that counterrev implants don't have much emotional appeal towards counteracting them. A player knows that sure they may take damage, but at the end of the day, they'll get healed. Not only that, but the damage is abstracted, while you are taking damage, its not from a visible source, its just from something that is happening to you. Being beaten up invokes a strong emotional response, unlike taking damage occasionally from something you cant even see. Players would be way more likely to fight back to the sec off beating them up then to the implant slowly damaging them.

Even though that is a major reason for why I think this change would be good, it's not the main reason. The main reason is simply that most players don't know that beating people up works, the main way players interact with conversions are flashes and being implanted. Brawls and battles are by far the most fun part of the rev gamemode, yet currently they are rare. By having sec offs show that you can convert people by beating them up, this also shows revs that they can beat people up to convert them. I think this change would make revs much more active by adding a strong emotional hook to not getting derevved, make combat more common by showing players that beating people up works, and by increasing the chances of combat, you also make counterrevved people wish to counter revs due to the revs likely just leaving them dead if they try to convert them via percussive maintenance.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Counterrev implants no longer convert players. the amount of counterrev impla... - by Ikea - 07-24-2022, 08:55 AM