Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Ninja operative items
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[FEATURE] [INPUT WANTED]

Open to feature/design changes ETC. Just looking for what changes should be made if it were to be merged, or if it should just stay backburnered. Right now I've finished the core mechanics enough to play test locally and get a feel for it.

About the PR

Contains the ninja operative with different bits of kit in different levels of completion, alongside a few changes to support it moving forward:
- New method to handle c_flags on armor, rather than checking every piece of equipment for the c_flag
- New define for items, to allow items to be used in-hand when stunned (but not unconscious)

New equipment:

**Ninja Suit:**
- Unsprited, using infiltrator suit
- Allows unblocked movement through doors that are opening/closing (so doors don't hinder you)
- Increased movement speed
- Built-in wakizashi, blocking use of 2-handed weaponry. Undroppable & undestroyable, to stop ninjas with RPGs/LMGs existing

[Image: 180843855-2197969b-0495-4575-a85e-72b0ffbbd4c6.gif]

**Shuriken pouch:**
- Unsprited, using default military pouch
- Currently infinite, debating recharge VS limited ammo
- Instantly inserts 3 shuriken into the users hand when opened from a pocket

**Shuriken:**
- Sprited
- Has two modes, harm and teleport
- Use like a firearm to throw individual shuriken, throw the stack to throw a fan of them
- Harm knocks down briefly and deals 20 damage
- Teleport is weaker than Harm (8 damage), but also blinks the ninja to its position at the cost of some stamina

_Single + Fan throw_
[Image: 180843966-1b3b547c-60c7-4806-b0b9-cf6e47ed17bc.gif]

_Blink mode + Blink fan_
[Image: 180844000-a76a24a7-629e-4059-899c-b8862f696608.gif]

**Wakizashi:**
- Sprited
- Mild damage (35), weak stamina damage (20)
- Primarily spills blood all over the place, making floors slippery and giving crew mild hypotension
- Hitting crew members charges a special attack, up to 50% from a given crew member
- Hitting new targets is worth more charge than repeat hits on one target
- Charges 20% for the first hit on a target, then by 10% for up to 3 hits.
- Special attack can be used while stunned (but not while unconscious)
- Special attack breaks stuns and attacks all adjacent targets, then needs to be recharged from 0%

_Slash blood splatter_
[Image: 180844013-52cef05c-670c-4291-8d05-506a7649024f.gif]

_Charge + special attack_
[Image: 180844045-09dbba7c-3208-4fc5-8d9f-cb4fe938de38.gif]

Why's this needed?

This stuff's been shelved for a while as there's no real calling for a new nukie class, and the forum post for it was quiet, so I've got what I built open for suggestion/repurposing, possibly as traitor items or alternative gear. Looking to change these things around or cherry pick out what devs think is useful.

I'm also willing to actually package this up as a proper syndicate loadout, should it seem appropriate.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Really not a fan of unstealable items tbh, thats the main offense/defense for crewmbers.
Having a class thats practically unstunnable (meaning they're immune to sec), has faster speed and far greater mobility (meaning they can run away from melee), and has a weapon that cant be stolen seems like a recipe for a basically unkillable class.
Oh yeah, I didn't even see that, that's uh, wayyyy too much
(07-19-2022, 06:36 PM)Ikea Wrote: Having a class thats practically unstunnable (meaning they're immune to sec), has faster speed and far greater mobility (meaning they can run away from melee), and has a weapon that cant be stolen seems like a recipe for a basically unkillable class.

a melee harasser sounds like it could be an interesting addition since if you try to harass as like an infiltrator you're probably going to realize pretty quick that your tranq gun (that flags you instantly as a syndicate as it cannot be obtained elsewhere) takes like 20-30 seconds to kick in and in that time people are liable to scream their heads off/run/etc and if people come to their rescue, you've only got a small pool of revolver ammo and things can go sideways pretty quick

so something with more staying power + the ability to fend off people would be a good addition. maybe if it focused mainly on doing stamina damage to people rather than being something good at killing.
wheres my delimb
I've sort of moved to having it overtuned and ready to have bits plucked rather than the other way round, to see which bits of its' kit stands out as interesting.

Right now the stun-removing special generally requires 8 hits spread between at least two crew members to charge: It gets 20% from the first hit on someone and 10% up to 3 times, then their blood level hits ~350 which no longer provides any charge. I don't think a single stun break is 'immunity to sec' as it doesn't actually replenish your stamina, so you can just get batoned again. It's more to break free from being taser shotgunned once or twice, or walking into a flasher.

Neither the wakizashi nor the throwing stars deal a huge amount of damage, delimbing or stun. Ninja's meant to sit in sort of a harassment role as baba mentioned and allow a player to feel like it isn't suicide to run over and stab cargonia. In its' current state, they're able to pretty easily hit someone to hypotension, but actual murder requires more significant effort.

Ultimately I expect it to be very hit-and-run in practice once I code in limitations for shuriken. The main safe strategy I've discovered would be to teleshuriken onto someone, land a couple of hits and run away. Without the infinite shuriken supply you'll likely have to trade blows with staffies should you go for melee hits, and at that point there's a lot more risk compared to running about with an assault rifle.
(07-19-2022, 06:07 PM)Sbmhawk Wrote: Really not a fan of unstealable items tbh, thats the main offense/defense for crewmbers.

quick second reply on my lunch break - the reason it's undroppable is to permanently reserve one hand, so you can't use 2h weapons (ie. other nukie weapons, RPG)

crew picking up a nukie weapon usually signals the end of the nukies' round, at least, when the weapon is a gun. you nab a nukie grenadier's launcher, pop 6 rounds over their barricades and they're toast. in this case, it's less consequential (a sword cannot be fired into a nukie team, so picking it up won't help you much long term.) The latching on is also to reduce the awfulness going into a crowd of people as a relatively squishy melee unit.

Remember that every other nukie can very easily just sit several paces away and shoot dozens of bullets into the crew. The knight has heavier armor, deflect and can ramp up to instantly crit people. the ninja's outnumbered several to one, probably alone and still only has 100 health & 200 stamina to work with. Pain also affects them the same, so movement of a ninja who gets shot once or twice is still low.
another important drawback to keep in mind for something like this too is that having a melee guy off on their own which is one less person defending the bomb so it should definitely be worth that