Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
On the recent loot box change.
Or we change one thing...

THE DEBRIS CRATES ARE MINIGAME LOCKED SINCE THEIR LOCATIONS ARE KNOWN.

The random loot crates in mining/asteriods are the "new system"
(07-20-2022, 08:00 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Or we change one thing...

Also a valid idea.
(07-20-2022, 08:03 AM)DioChasek Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 08:00 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Or we change one thing...

Also a valid idea.

It also comes with the idea of the old "secret vault" in Space Diner Field that sometimes spawn.
It used to be 3 Uqil bars, 3 Gold bullions and 3 Mauxite bars.
Now it's 3 gold nuggets, 1 uqil bar and 3 mauxite bars AND you have to hack it open (wich is randomized)
The puzzles were, imo, a very bad way to solve the issue of loot crates being rushable. It has nothing to do with the actual game, doesn't actually challenge you in any meaningful way (hangman solvers are trivial to use, and the number game is Solved and basically a gamble), and it supplements the already existing task of going out and finding the things. Part of the design ideals of the rework was to make them desirable items, something that's not *disappointing* to get. For mining this works great, and is supposed to give that instant gratification that opening a box in videogames is so good at, and crates you want to just leave to sit there because the time-benefit ratio of solving a number puzzle isn't worth it isn't a meaningful loot item.

Debris loot will always be rushable so long as it's in predetermined locations with little danger, and I think to some extent all debris loot items suffer from it. Even then, I think it's better to have fun loot in an unfun location than to have unfun loot in an unfun location, and part of the rushing people do for them must be because they're new, shiny, and have exclusive duds in them. Overall I disagree completely with re-adding the puzzles, I think it'd make the system work worse.
Basically what Flab said.

I've changed the loot pool to be weighted, and things like voltrons should be a lot rarer now.

Loot crate spawners have a 1/10 chance of spawning a loot crate, so there really shouldn't be many spawning at "known" locations such as the faint signal. I can also reduce the number of spawners if people feel that's necessary.
imo, and a wilder take, is to primarily have the lootboxes be found via mining and asteroids

i personally dislike that the debris field has tons of goodies in it despite the fact that it has NT assets such as the old mining station and the radio station, it should be somewhat of an extension to NT with lore straggled around and less of RNG item finding
(07-21-2022, 12:01 AM)Nihisohel Wrote: imo, and a wilder take, is to primarily have the lootboxes be found via mining and asteroids

i personally dislike that the debris field has tons of goodies in it despite the fact that it has NT assets such as the old mining station and the radio station, it should be somewhat of an extension to NT with lore straggled around and less of RNG item finding

That's fair. I've just pushed a change to decrease the number of loot crate spawners in the debris field and increase the frequency of encountering them while mining asteroids (including while using the mineral magnet).

If anyone has any further thoughts, let me know.